1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would You Date a Gun Owner?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by andrew812, Oct 5, 2013.

1. LiquidSwords

Obviously this has never actually happened but ok :rolle:

2. Kenny207

Yes I would as long as he learns whens its the appropriate time to play with his guns and the appropriate time to put them away. =_='

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    France has also had a history of gaining rights and independence with guns, and most French are willing to be in a country with heavily controlled firearms. In fact, France has had the need for guns to gain their rights far more than the US ever has. The same in Spain, and other countries who have similar (and far more brutal) histories than the US. The need for guns is actually non-existent, and to pretend that the US presents a unique case for the private ownership of weapons is being deliberately ignorant.

The oh-so-precious Constitution and cultural brainwashing are the reasons the US has such a love affair with guns. There is no genuine need.

4. Which gets to my other point, the fact that we enshrined it as a right, and those countries didn't. You can say all you want that we don't need them, but that doesn't change what the culture is here, or the fact that with a great many people here taking or even registering guns would be very much an "Over my dead body!" thing. That cultural brainwashing you mentioned is exactly why strict gun control will not work here like it does in other countries. This isn't deliberate ignorance, it's an acknowledgement of the fact that we have a different gun culture than France, or Spain, or Britain, or Australia, and therefore the measures that work for you are not necessarily going to work for us. As for need, as long as I live in a country where the trans and homophobes can get guns easily and the cops take several minutes to arrive, I need to have something to even the score. I'd love to be able to not need a weapon just to be sure nothing bad is going to happen to me, but I don't live in that kind of society.

#104 Cassindra Starlight, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2013
  5. Mariall

Definitely not if they used it for hunting

6. Split Arrows

Why do so many people in this thread have a problem with hunting?

7. June Cleaver

A gun is not a deterrent!!!! Only a idiot would pull a gun on somebody or a group. The day I pull mine out it will be shooting one or multiple people as it comes out of it's holster. It will be so quick the person won't know what happened. The first thing I was taught was to only pull it out if I need to use it to kill someone dead. NO INJURING, WARNING SHOTS, OR SHOWING IT OFF. The second was how to handle it. The third was how to hit my target. and finally how to maintain the gun. In 21 years I have never pulled it out, nor are most people aware I even carry one, but the day I fear for my life again I will draw it and shoot the person in the head and kill them dead as I am trained to do. It is just that simple, so no it is not a deterrent but a protective devise as I am not able to defend myself any other way if I decide to use the gun. Lucky for me the USA is still somewhat free, and I am able to have the security to carry it and be prepaired, and those who don't want one have the freedom not to! June

#107 June Cleaver, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  8. A lot of people see it as killing for fun, and most hunters do hunt out of enjoyment. This is what puts people off. I don't hunt, but I am pro-hunting because of the ecological necessity brought on by the geniuses who went and shot most of the natural predators. Somebody has to fill that gap and kill some deer like predators should be doing.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Freedom is not for guns. The victims of gun violence don't get to choose not to be shot. The "freedom" to have guns so easily is approving of violence. Sure, I'm sure you're safe with a gun, but that doesn't mean that others are, and the need for a gun is minimal if they're off the market.

10. June Cleaver

I have noticed the anti-hunting in this thread too. I guess most gays just don't hunt? Mike my husband hunts, and we use any animal he kills for food. I am ok with it as long as it is for food purposes and not wastful for show. I love deer meat and cook it many ways and Mike smokes the hogs. June

11. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course I would date a gun owner. Those type of things dont really make a difference to me + I'll probably have a concealed handgun permit or tazer gun.

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The "freedom" is that to shoot back if somebody threatens your life. You can't guarantee that gun laws will work; you CAN guarantee that it'll be a semblance of a fair fight.

^^That said, even if gun laws were 100% effective and nobody ever got shot, it denies self defense to anybody who for any reason can't fight off a group of attackers like Bruce Lee. It returns society to literal survival of the fittest, which is the opposite of civilization as most people on here would agree on economic terms. The US "gun culture" is that we have the inalienable rights to life, liberty, and property, and the right to preserve them by any and all means necessary. The reductio ad absurdum of this allows privately-owned militaries, but at that point the "defense" resembles an offense and the argument once again becomes invalid.

On the trend of the thread though, we already had a gun control one. Will this be locked for discussion of philosophy along with whether or not we'd date somebody on the pro gun side?

#112 Argentwing, Oct 6, 2013
  13. Tym Misery

Tym Misery Guest

This is hysterical, Why. People using the same rhetorical defenses that are overplayed in the media as scare tactics for people to be up in arms over every little thing, most people have never once had to defend themselves or anybody with a loaded firearm. There is even a study that connects Homicide with Gun Ownership, you know those "Criminals" that don't Obey the laws. These are cases of Legally Qualified people, not to mention that most of the massive shootings that take place are from people with no criminal background whatsoever and only suffer from an easy ability to purchase an assault rifle which doesn't cover the "Hunting" Defense whatsoever. But, then again we have Dooms day bunker loons who think they'll be able to overthrow a government with nukes, chemical warfare and tanks. Hysterical, but still a tad bit sad.

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some are content with "most people are alright"; some aren't. I don't advocate living in a bunker to avoid a forceful government takeover, but I do support the right to personal protection over trusting that somebody else will help you. People get so weird about it because there is no arguing with dead.

#114 Argentwing, Oct 6, 2013
  15. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just an answer to the original question:

I go targetshooting so I don´t mind someone that owns a gun, but it all depends on what he wants to use it for or thinks he needs it for.

If he is one of those that think they can defend themselves with it, I laugh in his face and turn my back. I don´t want one of those.

And I don´t want one who thinks guns are "great" or those that need one to feel manly.
    Actually the list goes on. Won´t bore you.

16. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I get very uncomfortable around guns and I really don't like them, so probably no.

17. method

Thank Starlight, I liked your response. As you may have seen, I'm mainly with Aussie on this issue. Everyone has given reasons as to why gun culture is the way it is, but you've finally touched on the point which I was hoping people might be more thoughtful about - that is, should the culture exist in the way that it does?

Taking other countries as examples, and as you yourself have acknowledged, restrictions on gun ownership can work - and that there is demonstrated benefit in doing so. I don't believe it to be idealistic, because it's been proven in reality.

But as you said, gun culture in the US is deeply entrenched and from the way you and others talk, it seems a foregone conclusion that there is nothing that can or should be done about changing the culture.

My challenge to you then is on that conclusion. Considering that major social change is possible, why should gun culture be an exception? I don't suggest it will be easy, and I certainly don't suggest that a law change alone will do the job. It might not happen in our lifetime either. But if change is possible and desired, it needs to start somewhere, and that begins with meaningful and open discourse.

Peace.

18. Beware Of You

I know its a strange law, if I saw someone I love in danger from a guy with a knife and/or a gun then I would do what it takes to save them, if it winds up with me in gaol then so be it, at least a few years inside is worth it if someone I love gets to live on.

Thats my view anyway

19. leer

It`s a sign of weakness. if you own a gun round where i live your probably in to gangs & selling drugs. no way would I date anyone .

20. Simba29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    No I would not date someone with a gun. Guns make me feel very uneasy and they are a symbol of violence..why would I want to be near a weapon that can inflict so much horror? :confused:
    We don't own guns where I live and am so glad we don't..I feel much safer because of it. I'm sorry to say this but if the gun laws in America don't change you are going to continually have nutters getting hold of these weapons and school shootings will continually rise as they already have been sadly. If I was a parent in the US I would be continually paranoid and in fear about taking my kid to school. :icon_sad: