Figuring out identity within lesbian community

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by HopeFloats, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Precious Venus

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    *chuckle* I just had this epiphany the other day and cut all my nails short. :slight_smile: As someone who's new to the whole girl-girl thing, it hadn't occurred to me before!

You know what? I went out on the weekend. I wore skinny jeans, a tight top, my long hair down, makeup, jewellery and ballet flats. I'm pretty femme looking and I definitely don't walk with a swagger (more of a wiggle realy). Anyway, point of the story is, I ended up chatting to a lesbian I met later on who I've since met up with again (just friends) and she said she "picked me" as bi straight away.

So I guess what I'm saying is, for those with a fine-tuned gaydar, it doens't matter what you wear... they'll know!

As for me... well I can't tell at all, so can everyone please keep wearing those rainbow bracelets and staring into my eyes? Thanks! :thumbsup:

2. wanderinggirl

HAHHAHA yes rainbow bracelets and eye contact! Sometimes there's no other way to tell.

I love that there is such a diversity in the gay community regarding gender expression. When I first came out I dressed like I thought a lesbian should dress, because part of me had always loved dressing like a tomboy. But I quickly realized it wasn't for me, and I became aware of the fact that it was not for me. I fine-tuned my style over time. I still wear dresses and things, but I'm less self conscious of putting on something i love and asking "Does this not have enough frilly feminine accents? Does it make me look like a lesbian?"

Also, I'm addicted to painting my fingernails; because they're short, I am hoping that painting them fun colors also draws attention to their length. :slight_smile: In this case, a girly accent might make it easier to spot me as queer!