Evolution vs Creationism

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gibson234, Jul 16, 2013.

?

Which do you believe?

1. Evolution

94 vote(s)
    89.5%
  2. Don't know

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Creationism

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. Ticklish Fish

There are people who deny evolution just as there are people who deny existence of queer people.

2. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Intelligent Design could technically describe Aliens planting life on Earth as it is. However 99% of the time when people say Intelligent Design they are talking about a god. Intelligent Design was just a cover for teaching religion in schools. Its creationism with a lab coat on.

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  4. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    And people wonder why America is stupid....

5. Ridiculous

Hahahahaha
    Haha
    ha

Ha.

Asking if you 'believe' in evolution is like asking if you 'believe' in gravity.

6. AlamoCity

I was raised Christian so, even though I now consider myself agnostic, I will always have a small part of me that believes in God. That said, I have never been convinced of God's existence and see Him more as a cultural icon. When I die, if there's a God, and He asks me why I didn't believe in Him, I will simply say, as others more eloquently before me have said, "God, why did You make it so hard for me to believe in You and why did You hide Yourself so well?"

That said, if God truly exists, He's not that much of a good Lord. They say you can't blame God for all the ailments of society, but if God did use evolution, something went awry somewhere for many peoples' diseases and ailments and if He takes responsibility for His evolution, He better take responsibility for all the pain and suffering it caused society and humanity.

(Feels weird to use capitalized pronouns; I guess I do it to be PC.)

7. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe that the Big Bang definitely had the hand of God in it, because the odds of something like that happening on such a large scale are astronomical, and that just so happened to create one planet (that we know of) with the absolute perfect conditions for biological lifeforms to exist. I would definitely say that both theories play a part in our existence and neither should be frowned upon.

8. Evolution, though if there is a god, who's to say that he didn't create evolution?

9. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Guest

I have read at least 6 books on evolution. It is one of the most fascinating theories in science in my opinion.

10. biggayguy

Exactly! I do believe that God is merely a more advanced being who has technology beyond our current understanding.

11. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol

I don't mean to be argumentative, but... The universe is IMMENSE. Bigger than some people can imagine. We don't know everything in it, and there could maybe be even more universes. (not "too" sure on that) I think its a bit arrogant to assume that we are the only planet that can support life out there. (not calling YOU arrogant, but the commonly held thought is)

They have found other planets (we don't even know the specs of every planet lol) that have potential for harboring life.

When you examine JUST how large the universe is, it greatly raises the chance of life being possible. At that scale from how i see it, its less likely for there to not be life? Is that a stretch? I'm not sure... but the Earth isn't some 1 in a million planet and the conditions for life are apparent in other planets we've seen to some extent. Im quite confident we may find another planet with the same conditions of habitability... maybe not in my life time, but still.. its Quite possible.

Anyway evolution. For a long time i thought maybe evolution could be wrong because there were holes, but then i actually did RESEARCH on it.(God-forbid :O... see what i did there:3)Its so well put together and very much proven. I don't think the average person learns enough about it in like.. k-12 to know that it is valid. I certainly didn't, but its probably because all my science teachers were like "I don't mean to intrude on your beliefs - you don't have to believe what I'm going to teach you, but.... and then they didn't say certain important things etc etc to spare feelings and what not

#31 PrinceOfAvalon, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  12. Aster Tataricus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe in Evolution, but it feels off
    I believe in Creationism, but it feels off as well
    I believe also in Extraterrestrial Intervention, although questionable as it sounds

Now that I think about it. I never thought much on human origins or how the universe came to be. Either way we still die ^_~

13. Ticklish Fish

14. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wait. I voted for the wrong one. I meant Evolution! EVOLUTION! this is why you don't vote tired. gah.

15. George

I fully believe in evolution and that the last 13 billion years of expansion have occurred more or less autonomously. However, I do not rule out the possibility of there being a creator of the universe, and I accept that such a creator may meddle with components of the universe from time to time. Those who subscribe to my view often will argue that such a creator would have little reason to pay attention to the Earth, being that it is like a single grain of sand on an enormous beach. I personally think that view is flawed because if one accepts the premise of there being a creator, then there is no reason to believe that the creator couldn't be monitoring -all- intelligent civilizations in the universe at once.

I find it best to imagine the universe to be an enormous computer simulation. The nerd who is running it could have many different objectives in mind. The entire purpose of this universe might be just to see what large-scale structures form when the gravitational constant is set to a particular value. In that case the creator would have zero reason to pay attention to the Earth - sure it is a special little place compared to most planets, but it is beyond the scope of the simulation's objective.

Alternatively, the entire purpose of the "simulation" might be to create a superior artificial intelligence. In that case the creator would be very interested in humans and would probably be monitoring them closely. To help give the AI a jumpstart, the creator could have created DNA and some of the primitive animals, and then let evolution run its course from there.

Sorry I got a little carried away. :lol: I spend a lot of time thinking about things like this and I think it seemed relevant to the evolution question.

16. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Well, i believe in both, they are not exclusive.

17. JBWat

JBWat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^This.

If a creator exists, then it created the evolutionary process.

18. dreamcatcher

I think a lot of people who say they don't believe in evolution often say this because they think evolution means that people came from monkeys (which is a common misconception). Evolution is so much more than that.There is evidence for evolution all around us. The reason why we need new antibiotics and why there are new diseases that pop up every century is because of evolution. There is no denying its existence.

19. NebulousAgency

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank God for a reassuring result. :slight_smile:

I mean, if you supported a philosophical rejection of science as-a-whole then you could of course be a Creationist.

However, if you believe there's any credible scientific basis for a 6,000 year old Earth then you're just incredibly ignorant. Or mad. I don't mean to sound rude but, being a European, the notion of Young Earth Creationism just leaves me flabbergasted.