1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Scotland hate crime bill

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Danielle1, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I’ve noticed no one has made a post about the the new Scottish anti hate crime bill so I guess I will do it.

Gender identity and sexual identity are now explicitly protected by law, and gender identity in particular will be a LOT more protected in Scotland. This is just good news for lgbt people in Scotland.

All of this comes after rises in hate crime in 2021 by about 5.5%~. This includes a 2% increase sexual orientation hate crime. However there was apparently 86 transphobia hate crime cases, which is a massive increase from 45 in 2019/20. However I suspect it’s massively underreported, in particular because of the laws not being specific enough about transphobia. The new laws should hopefully lead to a lot more justice for trans people.

A lot of criticism is coming from people saying how it ‘damages free speech’ which is just another way of saying hating lgbt people is harder now (as it should be)

Does this make scotland the most lgbt friendly nation? Maybe, but it’s probably one of the Nordic countries. I can only hope similar laws pass in England soon…

2. tallslenderguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People with prejudice often confuse their abusive behavior with free speech. Proverbial "silk purse made from a sows ear."

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is awesome and amazing any government would do such a thing, considering how bad most are for us and it takes forever and still have a bunch of people who hate the idea and keep being bigots. How does Scotland have enough compassionate lawmakers? I hope the bigotry fades faster there as a result, the assholes will dig in their heels and keep brainwashing their kids, but decent people will stand up with trans and the rest of us!

#3 mnguy, Apr 8, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2024