1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vent about transmedicalism

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Danielle1, Apr 3, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I hate transmedicalism. It’s hurt me a lot in the past and it continues to hurt me now.

To start transmedicalism is just making gender identity changes, something that’s entirely social and normal, into a medical issue.

The most obvious example of this is ‘gender dysphoria’ a psychiatric diagnosis. Making trans people fit into a black and white ‘they want to be the other gender’ with rigid guidelines on how to get it. First and foremost it completely ignores the possibility of non binary people being a thing, secondly it shoves something as diverse/ complex as gender expression and identity into ticky boxes just to get a diagnosis.

It hurt me a lot in the past. Back on December 26th 2022, I cried so unbelievably hard for a few hours. I still think it’s the worst day of my life. Why? Because I thought I could never be transgender, as I didn’t think I met the criteria for the diagnosis. I was very stupid, but I was just following what the transmedicalists were saying. I suffered for months with this thought process, causing so much emotional pain, constant self doubt over my identity. If anyone remembers my initial posts on EC I kept reiterating these thought patterns. I only fully realised how stupid they were back in December 2023- only 4 months ago!

But even still, even if the thought process is gone, leading to a much more stable mood, transmedicalism still hurts me to this day. If I want hormones to change my body in the uk, I NEED a diagnosis of GD. It could be as simple as informed consent- where a gp books blood tests and an endocrinologist advises on what to do (such as dosing). This could save so much headache, yet the diagnosis continues to get in my way from, forcing me into years long waiting lists just to get it, years more potentially of me in this body, which just makes me consider suicide more than anything else (I’m not suicidal right now, don’t worry).

I guess vent over. I hate transmedicalism and its consequences for me and many other trans people (especially non binary ones, they get it worst from transmedicalism).

Omnis Leevene likes this.
  2. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, yes. But for the forseeable future nothing is going to change. Raging against it is as useless as shouting at the wind (which I have been known to do, for what it's worth...)

To be honest, you're a slam dunk no-questions asked case of gender dysphoria. No doctor in the UK is going to say otherwise.

Beth x

TinyWerewolf likes this.
  3. tallslenderguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i don't think you are or were "stupid." i think you are culturally conditioned to conclude that by a medical/social standard and definition of who and how you are. In the US, prior to 1973, homosexuality was on the APA list of psychological disorders. ;Medicine' used to bleed people to get rid of disease. Thankfully, some things evolve and change, often too slowly to benefit those living in the here and now.
    In the end, i think what will be clarified as "stupid," is trying to treat people in categories instead of as individuals with possible traits in common.

Danielle1 likes this.
  4. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Originally that whole process was put in place to help us transition. There were (and are still) doctors and therapists that are apalled by our mere existence- that process existing was supposed to help us in the times of much opposition. The problem is people also abuse that system to keep those who could really use it from getting what they need- a long winded way of saying gatekeeping.

wouldbeElliot, Mihael and Danielle1 like this.
  5. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even though I know my whole identity is considered transphobic thanks to ideologies like this, then we should try always see different sides of two coins and really think outside of box, because not only people who are affected directly by this, but there are also people who are affected indirectly. Hate only causes more hate. Not everyone are adequate to make decisions for themselves, what could in the end be more harmful and damage can be disastrous and people can actually end up being disabled, if not careful. Of course gatekeeping is wrong. I think there is a lot, where our medical systems need to improve and mental health care should be way more accessible than it is. I think it can be done way better and medical proffessionals should be much more knowledgeable, but I do see improvement bit by bit. Communication and education are key here.

6. redstatic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I fully relate. I spent years trying to figure out what was going on with me, wishing I was "the right type of trans person" in order to be able to transition (newsflash: if you'd rather live life as a different gender, you're trans). I feel your pain. And it sounds frustrating having to rely on a broken health system. I hope you can access HRT as soon as possible.

Danielle1 likes this.
  7. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    You’re completely right, but I just wanted to vent about it. Due to trans people being a minority in the uk (1%) our vote will never be able to change the system. It’s completely reliant on cis people, who are unfortunately more inclined to keep the current system how it is.

I completely agree with the end statement- trying to put people into categories despite so many different aspects and traits. I’m glad homosexuality was removed, however conversion therapy is still legal in a many western nations, which is a legacy of medicalising homosexuality I think (but could be wrong)

Yeah there are medical aspects of transitioning I think. Hormones and surgeries are part of that. However I just dislike the rest of it, you know, the gender dysphoria part.

If a person isn’t sure whether they want the medical treatment, psychotherapy should be what they do, with specific therapy sessions aimed at figuring it out. Of course that’s just my opinion, I just think gender dysphoria shouldn’t be a diagnosis anymore, it’s too 1 dimensional of a concept.

Gatekeeping will always be bad for trans people, and again, non binary people are affected the most by this.

I’m glad someone else can relate :slight_smile:
    I will try and access hrt soon as I can, however it’s a long process I think but I hope within the next year or so instead 5-6-7 years on nhs waiting lists.

8. tallslenderguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sure, yeah, i think that reparative therapy would qualify as "medicalizing" homosexuality. i've been through it when i was religious of a sort that thought "God" didn't like same sex sex and trying to un-gay myself. They 'cast demons' out as part of the, er, 'therapy.' It seems there have always been charlatans selling snake oil. It took me awhile to process out of that, but they no longer affect me. The good news is, while there are people who bring damaging notions into their medical practices, there are also genuinely caring and careful people.

9. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But the thing is people don't go to search for therapy and don't think they even need it, unless someone tells them. Some don't believe what therapists say and say they are liars, even if it's the truth.

For example, if person has:

Psychotic disorders and they involve distorted awareness and thinking. Two of the most common symptoms of psychotic disorders are hallucinations -- the experience of images or sounds that are not real, such as hearing voices -- and delusions, which are false fixed beliefs that the ill person accepts as true, despite evidence to the contrary. Schizophrenia is an example of a psychotic disorder.

There are more to it than meets the eye.

wouldbeElliot and Hawk like this.
  10. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I have got no clue if you’re being sarcastic or not. But while a lot of religious people are the reasons for conversion therapy, scientists played a big part and still do. Methods like exorcism or whatever are less harmful- however the actually harmful ones seem to come from scientific origin. You know electrotherapy and similar stuff (I’m not going any more detail than that…). These methods still happen and have root origins in medicalising of homosexuality.

I’m not an anti-psychiatrist. I dislike gender dysphoria as diagnosis. Comparing something like schizophrenia to GD is bad, as it’s like comparing incompatible things like oranges and apples. They’re not the same.

What I dislike about gender dysphoria is that it puts people into ticky boxes about their identity when it’s far more complex than that. Why is ‘played with other genders toys/games’ a part of the diagnostic criteria? It’s based on stereotypes of boy/girls, which can be said for pretty much all of the criteria. It leaves no room for any other identities, which is inherently harmful. And as academic tool, it’s used to gatekeep the actual medical procedures which is why I hate it. Remove the gatekeep and I still dislike it but I can choose to ignore it. It’s the equivalent of making depressed people have to wait for depression diagnosis until antidepressants, which could be life saving by reducing the rate of suicide and improve quality of life, however the wait for diagnosis could send them over the edge.

Remove the gatekeep and keep the diagnosis for people who want it (despite it being harmful and leaving no room for any other genders than male/female)

11. tallslenderguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, not an ounce of sarcasm on my part, i have a long history and am very personally familiar with reparative therapy.

12. Omnis Leevene

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wish I was trans ever since I heard what being transgender means. I had always envied trans men(I’m ftm) when I was younger because they have all those gender affirming care to ‘magically turn them into boys/men’. But I did not considered myself trans as I did not struggle as much as others. And trans people’s experiences were mostly portrayed as something negative(like, how they always know since childhood, self-harm and suicide, etc.). I tried to convince myself that I wanted hormones due to misogyny and it’s stupid to have such eerie thoughts. However later I realized I’m just not a girl. Now I feel depressed, not only because I am seen as a girl, but also my inability to have access to hormones as I don’t have crippling dysphoria. Thinking about being and looking like a woman for the rest of my life makes me desperate. I will never never get hormones, I will never be a man. That’s my experience, I just want to tell you, you are not alone.

13. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Where am I comparing them?

The problem here is that people don't listen and go off it all based on their emotions withouth caring who it affects.

Like said there is a lot where medical systems can improve upon.

I also think there should be multiple criteria based on each individuals case not only gender dysphoria diagnosis.

The fact that my identity is transphobic is very much unfair.

My dysphoria makes me feel like my organs get squished and skin gets tighter and tighter. It's an awful feeling. I live with this kind of uncomfortableness daily where access to gender affirming care is life saving.

#13 Rayland, Apr 4, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
    Aberrance likes this.
  14. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, first of all - disclaimer
    1. I'm quite direct, what I say might comes across as rude, it's not meant this way and I'm at a loss how to frame it better.
    2. If I'm being lengthy, and I already see this post is very long, that doesn't mean I'm angry or mean to attack (I have stumbled upon this interpretation online, maybe it's hard to tell without seeing someone that they're not angry?)

When you put two things next to each other, that might come across as a comparison. Not sure if that is the problem you have come across, but I used to not know that at some point in the past. Composition of what you say affects how it's perceived. It might be hard sometimes if you are detail-oriented or easily get derailed and forget what you were saying a few sentences ago (I often do).

Say:

I like cookies. I dislike tea.

I like cookies, they're tasty.

The first sentence automatically puts cookies and tea in comparison, a common framework. What are the similarities? What are the differences?

The second one is statement + explanation / description.

I'm not saying you were wrong for saying what you said, miscommunication happens all the time and it's normal, it just looks to me like you didn't understand that, so I explained.

Nobody's identity is transphobic, as long as it affects only them.

And this is the experience of many people in the transgender community. It's a phenomenon that a lot of trans people have in common.

Now, what is transmedicalism? According to Wikipedia:
    "Transmedicalism is the idea that being transgender is primarily a medical issue related to the incongruence between an individual's assigned sex at birth and their gender identity, characterized by gender dysphoria."
    So it is inappropriate application of a diagnostic tool meant for physicians by laypeople or transphobia on the part of a medical professional. Lack of respect for individuals and their experience, self-perception, individuality. It's a kind of bias.

Transmedicalism is not experiencing gender dysphoria, and it's not wishing you were not transgender. Those are also individual experiences.

It would be a problem/transmedicalism/bias if someone generalises their experience to everyone and invaildates others based on having a different experience.

Perhaps there were communication problems, and this is where this came from?

I would disagree with that as well. I come from a multigenerational family of doctors, even though I'm not a doctor myself, so I probably can speak on their behalf. The diagnosis is the way it is, the diagnostic criteria are written by physicians and for physicians. From a doctor's standpoint, they are useful guidelines to help determine if the patient will benefit from e.g. HRT. Logically, there are cases when the risks of HRT outweigh the benefits, this is why there is mention of persistent discomfort that is significant for the quality of life. In general, doctors are wary of hormonal treatment, especially invasive like HRT that shuts down the gonads completely, otherwise it's ineffective. The impact on fertility is that you might not get it back. Ever again. Once broken, the feedback loop between the pituitary gland and ovaries or testes, is often impossible to restore. Not speaking of surgeries... The criteria are strict, because it's all very risky, objectively speaking, and for anyone who has knowledge that can potentially cause very much harm to others, but can also literally save lives, it's their responsibility to make sure they "do no harm". Also, the gender dysphoria diagnosis was meant to not be strict at all, what it really means to suffer in a way that affects you and persistently, is largely subjective, and probably anyone with a consistent motivation to transition can fit these criteria, this is how they were meant to be used.

However, those are guidelines for access to HRT, it is outside physician's responsibilities and it would be an overstepping to tell someone who they are and how they should feel. They were never about who you are, it wasn't ever the purpose of these guidelines and they should not be used this way. Period.

On the other hand, I have similar experiences myself and it has caused me a lot of problems to not get the peer support, all while facing transphobia from classmates and family that couldn't just deal with it. I don't pursue HRT, I pass without hormones, but the lack of support even in spaces that were supposed to be supportive has caused me a lot of harm.

Also, it looks like serious dysphoria if you are being suiscidal because you can't be yourself. Just saying.

That's why antidepressants are so widely prescribed, including trans people with gender dysphoria. Antidepressants can take the edge off dysphoric mood. Antidepressants also are considered safe medication, without serious side effects, unlike surgeries, that are generally avoided and unlike invasive HRT. Not only for trans people. In general.

It is unfortunately true for some people, hence the psychological diagnosis. However, treating everyone as if they couldn't make decisions and judge for themselves does a lot of harm, both in the psychotherapeutic context and in peer support groups such as this website.

wouldbeElliot likes this.
  15. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    P. S. No correctly functioning gonads affect not only reproduction, but the whole body in terms of bone density, heart disease, dementia and so on. Permament sterilisation is also illegal in many countries even if the patient might want it in the given moment, but in a more general sense, it is advised in medicine definitely against permament removal of anything that is still at least a bit functional, as it creates the need for permament medication and/or prosthetics, which are less functional than even a badly functioning "original" organ. Even a bit of functioning of the organ might make the management a whole lot easier. E.g. if a woman after menopause doesn't have her ovaries removed in the course of hysterectomy, it makes the HRT doses significantly smaller and less needed.

16. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry if it seemed like I'm comparing gender dysphoria with psychotic disorders. I'm not trying to do that. I'm trying my best to make it all more understandable. :slight_smile:

My own opinion:

I don't think there should be no criteria at all, but I do agree there should be multiple criteria based on each individual case.

Explanation why?

The sad truth is that medicine personal in every single country is not knowledgeable enough to offer gender affirming care and many countries don't even have gender clinics (Estonia included).

I think people should be well informed and at least visit a psychiatrist/therapist once or more to exlude any other mental health issues. These things are in place for safety and while healthy, adequate person can make good decisions, then not everyone can, like for EXAMPLE people with psychotic disorders.

We want to avoid people having regrets and detransitioning and having irreversable damage.

This is only my own opinion and good news is I'm not in charge of this all, so I can't change it.

I won't lie. Maybe I can't make myself understandable, because I am currently in a state where I'm not most adequate and my emotions are intense. I've been having an hard time to make sense of it all. Put yourselves in my shoes:

You've been struggling with inner transphobia and someone suddenly telling you that your thought process is similar to transmedicalists, who you dislike exactly because of all the gatekeeping and transphobia. Even the word itself make you feel very bad, yet people say you are one and wanting to transition because of dysphoria is considered transphobic, when all you're trying to do is help others and be more happier within your body. Wouldn't you be shocked and question your views and be sad?

I've wondered a lot about if I'm transphobic and what if in the future I detransition and people turning their backs to me.

I've been in uni too and thanks to it all it has been hellish week. Because I'm in public I haven't been able to break down either and been just drinking lots of water to held back my emotions, because it's impossible to control them.

wouldbeElliot, Mihael and Hawk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.