1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As a sapphic woman, is it normal to be uncomfortable going to male doctors?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Littavhvert, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Littavhvert

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know there are good doctors from both genders. I just prefer going to female doctors. I feel uncomfortable being seen naked and touched by the opposite sex (men) in even non-sexual situations. It applies to both doctor visits, TSA, strip search and locker rooms.

A stereotype I have heard in my country is that sapphic women are often "one of the boys" and that they are different from straight women. Straight women tends to prefer going to female doctors and straight men tends to prefer going to male doctors because it's a gender they aren't attracted to and it's seen as less awkward. Sapphic women are often expected to be relaxed and more comfortable around men than straight women.

I'm wondering if it makes me the odd one out when I'm doing and thinking like the stereotypical straight woman.

2. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmm, no judgment, but those views aren't right and are pretty common among people who don't understand lgbt women, even if it is out of innocent ignorance with no malice, or people who are bigoted/anti-lgbt(regarding that queer women are more like men and not like straight women, that is, not the other question. True, they're not like straight women, only regarding their partner-orientation, but no other way. Lgbt women cover a wide range from butch to tomboy to androgynous to femenine, just like there are straight women who are more masculine). And it's definitely not always meant as harm by some, just honest, innocent ignorance/not knowing better, but intending no bigotry or harm.

But regarding being uncomfortable with male providers- absolutely NOTHING abnormal or anomoly about that, I'm the same way, not only because I'm a lesbian, but also ptsd from sexual assaults by male medical professionals. Alot of therapists said it's important for me to say I need a female provider, or if unable to, then a female present the whole time. But even aside from trauma, I'd still prefer female providers/feel safer with them to prevent possible bad situations, but also comfort. That's, i think, really common in alot of countries, even with women who are straight, at least in the US and friends I have in various countries like Australia, NZ, Germany, etc.

3. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same here, I’d much prefer a female for anything like that. I can’t imagine any bi or lesbian women preferring to see a male doctor.

4. LlouW

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think like DirectionNorth said, there are all kinds of bi/lesbian women. I myself do not mind being seen by a male doctor - there is no difference or preference that I have. I think it's because I have always been attracted to men and don't mind their touch or their company at all. But I don't feel sexual attraction to them. I have worked with men and get along great with them but I think every woman - at least the gay ones - feel differently about men. What makes me more uncomfortable is a woman doctor if I think she is gay - because I am thinking, what does she think of me? What's going on in her heard, etc. But usually you don't know who's gay anyway, so that doesn't happen, unless she looks like a butch - and I have had that happen at an X-ray clinic once. I felt uncomfortable being undressed with her.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd like to think I don't have biases here but I do.

I've done slightly better with male providers than female providers. Of the female providers, I've done better with P.A.s than M.D.s.

I'd have some hesitation having a VGL male doctor, and also a VGL woman doctor, as my GP. I'd be slightly more nervous and inhibited. And I would not want to go under anesthesia if a hot surgeon was operating on me just in case I'd say something inappropriate. Medical gowns or outfits can work on me the way uniforms work on other people!

Which gender doctor you want is completely up to you and normal. That's why they have the boxes you can check off for that when you're doing a search.

#5 Tightrope, Mar 25, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2024