1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lesbian confusion in long-term relationship

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by sunnymoony, Feb 22, 2024.

1. sunnymoony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, I am new here. I need advice from the queers but I no longer have any queer friends and I no longer have time for therapy.

Some background info: My partner and I got together when we were juniors in high school. We’ve been together ever since. I moved out of my home and moved into her mother’s home. Then, we graduated and dormed together in college. We transferred to a different school because we couldn’t afford the one we were attending. We got an apartment with our best friend from her high school. We understood that we got together very young and decided to try and open up the relationship. Of course that got very messy and very complicated and caused many arguments and fights. We decided to close the relationship and get back to how things were. This was very hard for me because of everything that happened. Things were said and there were times she was emotionally manipulating me and it’s hard for me to get past that. I made some regrettable drunken mistakes that involved emotional cheating. I couldn’t tell her how I felt because I was scared of how she’d react. I was terrified to lose her but I ended up asking for a break from the relationship. This did not work. My mother had to come over and mediate the conversation because neither of us felt safe to talk to each other at that point. At that point we couldn’t communicate without reacting emotionally and most times it ended in at least tears if not full on panic attacks. There multiple times I felt so confused and overwhelmed and powerless that I wanted to die. My mother being there helped, but not enough. Our “break” ended up being me traveling out of state to see family and her calling multiple times everyday. Then coming home to sleep in a different bed until she felt comfortable sleeping with me again. Even though we talked about our problems being caused by both of us, it ended up being me waiting for her to not be mad at me and taking whatever negative emotions she needed to let out. She had said before when I asked for the break that we can’t breakup because our lives were so tangled together. We had pets together at that point, shared money and expenses, etc. I felt stuck but was able to stifle that feeling to the point of enjoying each other again. We were able to talk and hang out like normal.

Now, one of the major causes of our arguments was our sex life. When she suggested opening up the relationship, that was after years of us barely having sex. This was and still is entirely on me. I have no idea why but having sex with her just doesn’t feel right anymore. I am trying to get back to it but it’s been so long and so many things have happened. I tell her that I have a low sex drive which isn’t true. I tell her that it has nothing to do with my attraction to her because she is absolutely beautiful, which is true. I tell her that I have a hard time with sex for different reasons, which is also true. The problem is, I find myself thinking about having sex with other people. Just random people that I like and lately… this is hard to even type but lately the other people have been boys??? I am just so confused and I haven’t had anyone besides her that I am close enough with to tell all this to. And even if I did she would not like for me to do that at all.

I know this is already a lot but it gets to be more here. Present day, we are engaged and have 2 foster kids and multiple pets.

I am losing the plot here guys please help if you can. And whoever takes the time to read this and respond I cannot thank you enough. I am desperate here.

2. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm wondering how old you both are, I'm guessing mid/late 20s or so? I'm going to ignore the comment about boys because I don't think its that important for your relationship, you're obviously either a lesbian but maybe just confused or exploring, or maybe you're bisexual, but either way is fine.

So it seems to me like you have a few options:

- Try to maintain the relationship as it is without sleeping with her
    - Sleep with her despite it not feeling right at the moment
    - Split up, move on

I think option 1 is burying your head in the sand. Maintaining a relationship without sex if you both actually want sex is not really all that healthy. It's hard enough if just one person doesn't want it, but if you're both going unsatisfied it's going to cause tension. You've tried an open relationship and haven't been able to make that work. I guess you don't want to split up with her? Or is it that you would split up with her if it wasn't for it being difficult, foster kids/pets etc? You said you've barely had sex for years, are you still affectionate like kisses/cuddles? Does she try and initiate things and you knock her back? I think in your position I would give it one last shot, because if you don't know what you want at the moment, you'll probably know if you sleep with her again. It'll either be right, and it'll re-kindle the old feelings you had for her, or you'll know it's not going to work.

Anyway, I hope this helps. And welcome to EC, there'll probably be some other people along shortly with some other advice.

3. sunnymoony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for reading and replying!

We are 23 and 24.

I definitely don’t want to split up with her. I have thought about it during those moments where we are disconnected. Imagining being single and how it would be for me. I enjoy thinking about that sometimes. But ultimately, she needs me and there’s no one I can be myself around besides her so I need her too. I’m not sure if this is relevant, but I was recently diagnosed with autism and it’s made me realize I’ve been masking my whole life except when I’m alone with her, so yes I need her too.

Our lives are very entangled and that is part of the reason she and I are still together. There are many other reasons but I will say that is a big one because that’s the reason our “break” didn’t work out.

We are still affectionate with each other. Hugs kisses and cuddles everyday. We say nice things to each other. I rarely initiate and it’s always been that way. When she initiates I either go with it or I tell her I’m just not in the mood. But when I say that she instantly thinks I don’t find her attractive. So I guess there’s some pressure there. Maybe if I could say no without it hurting her feelings it would be easier to say yes more often. When we first got together we were just kids so it was hot and heavy of course. Then life kept happening and we had our share of over dramatic fights and whatnot. I’m not sure if the fighting is the reason I’m not feeling it or what. I’m usually the kind of person who’s very good at just getting over shit but maybe that’s what’s holding me back. Or maybe I’m just miserable and can’t be happy with what I have lol.

Thank you again for your advice, it’s very helpful to hear someone else’s perspective.

I think I also sometimes wonder if she’d be happier with someone else because I constantly feel like I fall short and disappoint her.
    And another thing is I’m not sure if I’m still that masc lesbian I was when she fell in love with me. Which is yet another disappointment on my end. I just want to be who she wants me to be.

4. Chillton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have talked to a few people who dated in their teens, (15-17), and it lasted for several yrs afterwards. They all basically say the same thing. You have to keep your individual identity and couple identity separate. In our early twenties we are still developing into adulthood and struggling to figure out life. When you date young, that personal growth and trials we all go through sometimes gets dragged into the arena of relationship problems when you should handle it yourself. The two identities start to blur together. Growing as a couple and the status of the relationship starts to supersede and overshadow the individual growth, when it should be the other way around. Instead of working through it yourself, it becomes what should we do? You have to fight your own battles without interference from your partner even if she wants to help you.

Moreover, it doesn't translate so well into a relationship when you're both growing up together from a young age. You can become too co-dependent and unable to resolve things on your own. Your personalities will clash and you'll go around in circles till you're blue in the face. Most of the time you can't change or solve someone else's problems. So I would separate your individual problems from the relationship ones. Respect your own personal arenas and the separate one you share together. Additionally when people date young, and one or both partners experience growing pains the relationship will become stuck until that person gets unstuck. It's OK to take it slow. You don't have to have the answers right away and rushing it will spiral the issue into an argument. The ongoing success of the relationship will reflect how well both of you can grow as people separately and providing to it. You spoke of how you and your partner's lives are to inter-tangled with bills,pets, and kids. I think your relationship grew faster than you grew yourselves and the status quo couldn't keep up. Hopefully that makes sense. I tried to summarize it so it didn't go on for a few pages.

5. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is great stuff. You always make some really good points that I never even consider. This has even got me thinking about my own relationship.

Chillton likes this.
  6. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The affection is a good sign. I have known my fair share of two-female relationships where the sex life has slowly dwindled away. I’m not really sure why it happens but it’s not uncommon.

How happy are you generally, relationship aside? Are you in good health, steady job, good family relationship, friends, hobbies etc - all the stuff that’s important? You mentioned an autism diagnosis, are you taking any medication (or birth control) that might be affecting your sex drive? I don’t take birth control for this reason, it really didn’t agree with me and it was a fairly dramatic transformation. The more I read about it, the more I think that nobody should take it. Anti-depressants are also known for reducing libido.

Quite often if I don’t really feel in the mood I initiate anyway, or just act a bit suggestively so that my partner starts things going, because I always get into it after a few minutes and I always feel much happier afterwards.

Chillton likes this.
  7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I’m sorry you are going through a tough time. I definitely think it’s common/normal for sex to lessen over time, especially when there are children involved. Obviously if it becomes non existent or either party is unhappy with the situation then that is more problematic.

I think you have to look at your relationship minus all of the complications or interconnections. I’m not saying you should split up but you have to want to be with her as a person rather than because splitting up with her is complicated or because you haven’t really known adult life without her.

it sounds like if it is going to be able to work and move forward then it needs you both to be completely committed to wanting to make it work and that you will perhaps both have to change the way you do things or communicate in order to make it work.

Chillton and JT1999 like this.