1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell my partner I think I might be trans?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by skloorrpt, Feb 19, 2024.

1. skloorrpt

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a friend/romantic partner that I've known for half my life at this point. It's a long distance thing at the moment, and we aren't "official" because I'm not even out about my sexual orientation yet. I'm not really sure what our relationship is at this point and it makes me feel guilty, like I'm being weird and noncommittal, but that is a whole other conversation that I need to have with them.

They told me that they are non-binary around two years ago now, and that is what really kick started the uncertainty surrounding my own gender identity. This past summer I worked up the courage to tell them that I think I might be NB too, but I never outright said that I am because I honestly don't know. I just told them that I might be and we had a brief conversation about it, but that was it. I haven't talked about it with them since.

Lately the idea that I could be transfemme or a trans woman has been on my mind a lot. I'm not sure of anything yet. The problem is that my partner is not really into women as far as I know. Part of me hopes it wouldn't change anything, but I realize it's wrong to expect them to make an exception to their sexual orientation. I can't get over this feeling that I'm lying to them or leading them on or something. I don't want our relationship to become more serious only to blindside them with this months or years down the line if/when I ever figure this out. I feel like they kind of deserve to know if we're going to continue our relationship, but I'm terrified it could mean the end of things for us. I don't want to throw away the only relationship, and the closest friendship I've ever had with anyone just because I think I might be trans.

I'm not sure I'm ready to tell them anyways as I'd like to be more certain myself before telling anyone else. That being said they're the only person I'm willing to talk about my gender identity with and I'm getting sick of going through all this alone. I guess the best case scenario is that I tell them and eventually realize I'm trans and it changes nothing. On the other hand the worst case scenario is me telling them and ruining things between us only for me to realize I'm just some confused cis man. I don't really know what to do. Would it be wrong for me to keep this a secret?

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What if you just told them you're questioning your gender and would like to explore how you feel? You wouldn't be committing to anything and you would be opening up to them about how you're feeling. Even if this relationship doesn't turn into anything serious, could you still be friends? Why would this relationship have to end if it doesn't turn sexual?

3. skloorrpt

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel like I told them that when I said I might be NB, I just didn't mention the trans woman part. It's already a sexual relationship, so I feel like it might be awkward going back to being just friends. I know it doesn't have to end, I'm just worried.

4. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends. What's more important to you; the relationship or your happiness? I know it's a tough decision, but ultimately there's always a chance that your partner will stand by you. However, truthfully many trans people lose family, and people in their lives just for being authentically them. At the end of the day, it's your choice what's a higher priority for you; your relationship or yourself.

Again, do you have to dive right in to disclosing questioning yourself as a trans woman? If you already came out to your partner as Non-Binary, could you start dressing more femininely? Grow out your hair, use makeup? Maybe they'll read in between the lines and you can have the conversation together. And it'll give you some room to experiment.

Rayland and Omnis Leevene like this.