1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remaining friends

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by XtReMeEnIgMa247, Feb 15, 2024.

1. XtReMeEnIgMa247

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There’s a guy I’ve liked for about a year now. This past weekend, we were at a pride dance and I finally told him how I felt about him. He was nice to take me home and we had a good talk on the way. He knew how I felt since at least the dance back in the spring, but because of uncertainties on his end, he wants to just be good friends for now.

It’s been a long time since I last told anyone how I felt about them and I know that even though it wasn’t what I wanted to hear, I know I have to respect his decision. I do want to keep him as a friend, but I feel I need some time to get over what happened. Thoughts?

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    XtReMeEnigMa247.....Well, good friends is a lot better than "No Thanks"! :old_smile: And it does leave the door open for something possible in the future. So, don't give up the ship!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

3. Chillton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like he has been aware of your feelings for almost a year now, which implies he has some amount of interest for you. He may want to sort through his personal issues without a potential relationship complicating that process, or dragging you into his baggage that ideally needs to be dealt with first.

The hard part is over and the ball is in his court now, so I would just give him the space to work through it. However I wouldn't wait around for him either to make up his mind. Keep putting yourself out there and look for other potential partners. If he comes around he comes around. If not then you haven't wasted your time on someone who can't commit. That's all you can do.

If you need space then I would just make other plans and keep busy. Whether that is by yourself or with other people.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! You have shown vulnerability, and took a chance. It is something to be proud of even though it might not feel like it at this moment, and you need some space.

As Chillton suggested, don't stop doing what you are doing to keep yourself occupied. Spend time with your friends, keep staying busy. Pursue your hobbies, do the things that allow you to shift your thoughts.

With time, things might become clearer on what he feels.

Chillton likes this.