1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Butterflies and the thrill of the unknown

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by WonderQuest, Dec 18, 2023.

1. WonderQuest

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel a "butterflies in my stomach" level of excitement when I think about being with a man. It sort of melts my whole body if that makes sense. I am not in a situation where I can experiment to find out more about my sexuality. I am curious how much of this is the thrill of the unknown and something I can't quite have. I don't know if that feeling would last or if it would "level out" over time. How do I find out more about this if I am not able to experience it directly?

Ingvermama likes this.
  2. tearingtherose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My experience was different so I can't directly answer your question but perhaps it'll help. I was with several different boys as a teenager but moved away. I decided that I couldn't possibly be gay so got a girlfriend, got married and had kids. As much as I denied I was gay, and was terrified someone might possibly think I was, I missed sex with the boys far more than I ever enjoyed sex with my wife. At times I would "accept" I was bi, and worried that, if I got together with a man again, I'd miss being with women. Since finally coming out to myself, I know categorically that I love men, have always loved men and only loved a woman because she was a bit masculine and it's what everyone expected of me.

Like I said, not a direct answer, but I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I found I knew the answer all along but didn't want to accept it until I hit crisis point this year. Hopefully someone with a more similar experience to yours will share here too.

WonderQuest likes this.
  3. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my experience the initial excitement and enthusiasm to be a man has never faltered. In some ways it’s has become more intense, more nuisanced, and more enjoyable the more I embraced and expressed my homosexuality. For me homosexuality is much more exciting than anything I ever experienced with a woman. I am truly sorry I tried to hide being gay for so long. I would have been a lot happier, a lot sooner!

Kevins1197, Red1 and WonderQuest like this.
  4. WonderQuest

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks. I have moments where it feels strong and clear. It sort of comes and goes.

tearingtherose likes this.
  5. WonderQuest

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for sharing. So happy to hear you have fully embraced who you are and that you are having amazing experiences to go with it!

6. WonderQuest

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My head has been spinning the past day or so... so much to take in and so many feelings.

What I am noticing:

- This is a part of who I am and that is okay (it could be amazing, just not there yet)
    - I buried my feelings about this my entire life. I wouldn’t let myself go there as there as so much fear of judgment.
    - I’ve always wanted to interact with the queer community, but didn’t know how… without feeling worried someone I knew would find out.
    - Because the straight narrative is so strong, I really appreciate some of the comments here that help reframe how I look at it. Maybe I am more gay than bi and I just haven’t given myself the permission to go there.
    - My sensitive and gentle side of me may be my best self. I want to express it more.
    - I need to take this slow. It feels like a whirlwind right now and I have to keep reminding myself there is no rush to figure this out. Stay curious and see where it leads. I have really started to embrace moving toward what I am drawn to and see what happens.

I have initiated a counselling service... will start in the New Year. Just the act of asking for a LGBTQ affirming counsellor was a big step. There is a Gay Dad's group in a city I sometimes travel to that I think could be safe way to interact in person. Baby steps!

7. tearingtherose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Absolutely, and regardless of what the ultimate answer is for you, you are you and you are amazing no matter what anyone else thinks.

For me it wasn't just feelings, it was memories too. I wouldn't let myself look at men, I got squeamish about gay love scenes for fear people would notice I enjoyed them more than straight ones and I'd look away if gay friends kissed. Now that I have let myself go there, I realise just how much more attractive men are to me and lots of memories, such as crushes, have started to resurface.

My boyfriend likes to ask people if they came out straight, and as the answer is always no, why do you have to come out if you're gay/bi/etc?

Baby steps are definitely the way to go, it's not a race after all. Congratulations on taking the big step of seeking a LGBTQ affirming counsellor!

WonderQuest likes this.
  8. WonderQuest

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has shared their insights and experiences here and on other threads. I am feeling good overall, but also my whole nervous system feels out of whack right now. So many feelings about finding myself and letting go of past judgment. Being open to new ways of seeing myself and challenging previous narratives.

I feel like I need to give myself a bit of a break just to calm down a bit. Hoping to get out in nature and focus on connecting with people over the holidays.

The one thing I underestimated is how supportive and caring the queer community is. The feeling of warmth, welcome and acceptance is so strong. I wish other groups and communities could show up like you do!

Contented and tearingtherose like this.
  9. Red1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well you accept you are on the gay spectrum it's a start. Best of luck with your counselling, you seem to have a lot of internal struggles.

10. WonderQuest

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think a big part of is this disconnect between my inner world and outer world. I have built a life around being straight. I am now at a stage of life where I recognize the ways I shifted myself to be accepted and feel safe. Even now, I can go from feeling pretty clear about myself when I am alone or daydreaming to questioning myself when I am around people I know. I think it is all about where we feel safe being our true selves and we can be pretty good at protecting ourselves without even knowing it.

I have also noticed other threads where people shared they were not attracted to men IRL even though they had some really hot fantasies. I can relate to this as I tend to be more drawn to the idea of it than actual people. I'm curious how that shifts as I open myself up to new possibilities. Last week I was at an appointment and the guy working there caught my eye. I allowed myself to really look at him and thought... this guy is hot!

Reading others journeys through this really helps keep things in perspective. I know I am not straight. I know I have had fantasies about men since puberty. I feel this pull that gets stronger. I like hearing about how others views about themselves shifted over time and how they worked through their own doubt and denial. It helps to see similar patterns in my own journey.

tearingtherose likes this.
  11. eron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Even though I had inner sexual desires for the same sex since puberty, I also built a world around heterosexual relationships and desires. Admittedly, I had some great times with women and found them attractive, but, at the same time, I found myself cycling between relationships with women and inner, secret same sex desires. Of course, as many on EC have said before, the inner desires grow only stronger, which certainly was my case. The same sex fantasies became more pervasive, and my opposite sex desires began to fade. Once I started down the path of self-acceptance, first as bi, which was probably a crutch of sorts, and then as gay, it felt a huge relief and it only further intensified my same-sex thoughts and feelings.

12. WonderQuest

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Things are becoming more clear for me. I feel in my heart that I am bisexual. I read an article from a person who came to the same conclusion and it just felt like I could have written the exact same thing. I love my wife and I want to stay with her. I am hopeful she will feel the same, but expect there to be some adjustments and recognize there are risks and unknowns. I am still working up the courage to tell her, but getting clear was an important step. If she was going through this, I would want her to tell me so we could figure it out together.

I also feel really drawn to the queer community. I'd really like to be a part of this community and hopefully help others as well. I am finding this community warms my heart and I just want to be a bigger part of it. I also feel a bit of imposter syndrome at times... thinking do I belong here? I have read about how many bi folks often feel this way. EC has been really helpful in finding my way.

quebec and LlouW like this.
  13. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Stick around, you’ll get used to that feeling and hopefully after a while it’ll stop bothering you.

WonderQuest likes this.
  14. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    WonderQuest.....One thing that I know is important in any relationship is communication. You may not be ready to tell your wife everything yet, but the longer you wait the worse it gets. The harder it will become to tell her. I know you need to prepare yourself and to find the right words, but don't delay too long. The worst thing is when a spouse finds out through rumors, etc. That is always a receipt for disaster.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

WonderQuest likes this.
  15. nguyenloc2k2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Exploring one's sexuality can evoke intense emotions, and the excitement you feel is completely natural. The thrill of the unknown often contributes to this intensity. Considering your current situation, introspection and self-discovery become valuable tools. Engage in open, honest conversations with trusted friends or seek support from online communities for insights. Reading personal stories can provide perspectives, helping you understand your feelings. While direct experiences are impactful, education and self-reflection can offer clarity. Remember, it's okay to embrace uncertainty, and understanding your emotions is a gradual process. Seek knowledge, connect with supportive communities, and allow yourself the space for self-discovery.
    I think you need to learn more through videos.

Red1 and WonderQuest like this.
  16. WonderQuest

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks @nguyenloc2k2. I am finding self-reflection to be very helpful. Just by opening my mind to possibilities, I can understand myself much better. Appreciate the advice!

nguyenloc2k2 likes this.
  17. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @nguyenloc2k2..... usually catch people when they make their first post in the "Welcome Lounge" but I missed you there, so I'll catch back up to you here! :old_rolleyes:

*****Hello and a big LGBTQIA+ welcome to Empty Closets! :old_smile: I can remember the first post that I made on EC. I was desperate for help and I got the help that night that I so needed. I hope that we can help you in the same way that I received help. The most important thing to remember about Empty Closets is that we do care about you! We're very glad that you found us here on EC and hope that we can answer questions, give you support and provide a place to vent (as long as it's not violent! :old_wink: ) when that becomes necessary! This is a safe community of loving, caring and very supportive people and we will do our best to help you blend into the community.

*****There are 18 different sub-forums here that you can check out, join in the conversations or start your own thread/conversation. When I first joined Empty Closets I was in need of a lot of support and encouragement and I found it here…EC is a safe place. I hope that you'll find good things here too! Folks here will talk to you and share...you don't have to be afraid of asking questions...we're glad to have you! Empty Closets is all about making connections and giving LGBTQ folks a voice when they otherwise don't have one in their day-to-day lives. :old_cool:

Some info on how to navigate EC: :old_confused:
    When you have made at least 10 posts on various threads you will be able to post messages on a member's Profile Page. Just click on a member's Avatar Picture and then click on "Profile Page" in the dialogue box that pops up. You'll then be on their Profile Page and there will be a box that says: "Write Something" When you have been on EC for a few weeks and have made at least 50 posts on various forums, you can apply for Full Membership. A Full Member can send Private Messages (PM) to other Full Members and share personal contact info. Right now you can only send a PM to a Staff Member as that is always possible. Here is a quote from the Full Membership information forum:

*****To be eligible you must be a member of Empty Closets for a minimum of two weeks, and have a minimum of 50 posts. These posts must be across numerous forums (Fun & Games does not contribute to post count), and consistently posted across a minimum of two weeks. You wouldn't be eligible, for example, if you registered, had no activity for two weeks, and then returned to post 50 times on your 14th day of membership.

*****Well, as I said, we're very glad you found us! :old_big_grin: If you have any questions at all, you can always send me a Private Message.

…..David :gay_pride_flag:

nguyenloc2k2 likes this.
  18. nguyenloc2k2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family

yes Thanks i do it

19. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hope you get to discover and enjoy yourself

20. Kevins1197

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Seeing two men being intimate with each other, for me is so erotic, homosexuality has always felt right and natural for me. As Neil Patrick Harris said you get that tingly feeling around certain boys.

Enzo46 and tearingtherose like this.