1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Married with Kids

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by jeffel, Nov 22, 2023.

1. jeffel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, writing this is very difficult for me. I feel ashamed, even though I know I really shouldn't. I am 32. I've been married for 10 years and have 3 kids. I've known I was gay for a long time, but I grew up in a very conservative Christian environment. I always thought for sure I'd eventually like girls, but that never happened. I tried to come out to my parents at 19, but they told me to either be straight or I'd be dead to them. My mom had disowned her closest brother after he came out, so I knew they weren't bluffing.

I got together with a woman who I love dearly. I have some issues with sex due to a history of sexual abuse, so I felt compelled to have sex with her as part of our relationship even though I never really felt sexually attracted to her. In the end, she got pregnant, and we got married. I have lived the "straight life" for 10 years since then, but I can't do it anymore. I have an emptiness in me, a need to feel a love and connection with a man that she will never be able to fulfill. I hate to hurt her because she is my best friend, but I know I need to do this. I also do not want to lose my relationship with my kids. Has anyone else been through a separation especially where kids are involved? How did your former partner handle it? How did you maintain a connection with your kids? I need all the advice I can get. Thanks!!!

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC. You will definitely find people who are or have been in the same position you are.

Violet Rain, JT1999 and jeffel like this.
  3. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really have much to add, but I wish you all the best. What a dilemma to be in, I have a lot of sympathy for you. X

jeffel and Violet Rain like this.
  4. Violet Rain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome to Empty Closets. I don't have anything to add either, I just wanted to say hi and let you know you're in the right place to talk about your situation. You are among friends here.

jeffel likes this.
  5. jeffel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @silverhalo, @JT1999, @Violet Rain, thank you all for commenting and letting me know I have some support here. I know it's going to be a rough time, so I'm trying to build up some community around me. I'm going to lose pretty much all of my family and friends in this process, so it's important that i build a new network.

6. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I kinda feel the same thing as you

7. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately starting to acknowledge your homosexuality is not the easiest thing in the world to do. No one wants to intentionally hurt those they love however in this case it is unavoidable. You cannot provide her with what she needs nor can she you. Being miserable the rest of your lives is no way for either of you to live. The path ahead will be challenging and life changing but in the end living authentically as a gay man will be well worth the sacrifices. EC is an excellent support tool as you transition to your true sexuality.

CapnMal likes this.
  8. jeffel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you, @Contented. I appreciate your support. I agree that we cannot provide each other what we both need. I'm glad I found this site, as I really am going to need the support because she's made it clear in the past that she will not support me if I choose to live as a gay man.

9. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jeffel, no question it is a tough situation you find yourself in. No questions coming to terms with your homosexuality presents significant problems for both partners. It’s life changing for both partners and not easy for either. I can only tell you you only have one life to live. You owe it to both of you to allow each to move on and find fulfillment as you need.

Nealg and jeffel like this.
  10. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is unfortunate that our heteronormative brain washing short circuits our same sex desire and we struggle to conform to hetero narrative that a wife and family is the gold standard. For me it never seemed right. I felt like I was an actor in a play and it was not the real me. We bury our homosexuality so deep that we can fool ourselves but only for a time. When our true gay sexuality emerges it’s like a dam braking and there is no way to hold back the swell of emotional and physical sensations. At that point it becomes impossible to continue to live a lie nor do we want to. The desire to live as a gay man invades every aspect of our lives. It builds until the only real choice is break away embrace our homosexuality and move on. By no means is this easy or without pain for everyone involved however it is the only choice that makes sense. I can only relate my experiences and despite the initial pain and problems it was the best decision I ever made. Being free to be with another man has added so much depth, pleasure, emotional satisfaction, sexual fulfillment , and nuisance to my life I had previously never experienced.

#10 Contented, Nov 24, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
  11. jeffel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, were you previously married to a woman? If so, what did you do to lighten the blow of the separation? I do love my wife, and I want to make things as smooth as possible.

12. LlouW

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am going through basically the same thing. I was completely in the closet for years. During that time, I led a straight life.
    It seemed normal at the time but I never forgot my attraction to women. It was my secret that I didn't reveal.
    While in the closet I dated men (I did have some attraction to them). I met a wonderful man who is perfect for me.
    But our sex life was a problem. A few years ago a woman came out to me in an airport of all places. I realized that if
    I wasn't with my husband I would have let her pick me up. That's when it hit me - I realized I wanted to live a lesbian lifestyle.
    It is what I've wanted all along. Now we give each other emotional support and I don't want to hurt him, but I am not content
    in this marriage any more. Meanwhile, he has figured out that I am gay, and is encouraging me to try it as an experiment!
    But I don't want an experiment I want a real relationship. It's hard to get women to take me seriously. Some turn me down
    as soon as they find out I'm married. Married women can be gay too! They think I am just looking for something on the side.
    That's not how I feel. How is this going to turn out? Stay tuned. I honestly don't know. Thankfully I have no children.

Beezy likes this.
  13. Bi19963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jeffel,
    I have kids and now a grandchild and struggled with this also. I was raised to be the strong man and take care of the family. I always put my happiness and sexuality last. I hope you can find a balance soon and not be locked in the closet wishing for something before it's too late. Enjoy life.

14. Nealg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi there. I know exactly what you mean. After over 30 years of marriage, the dam has finally broken for me. I want so much to live as a gay man and I am taking steps to do so.

Joolz66 and Bi19963 like this.
  15. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s an incredibly liberating experience to finally and totally live as a gay man. Life opens up many possibilities we only dreamed and fantasized about. Being able to openly declare we are gay to world is a very heady feeling.

CapnMal, Bi19963 and Nealg like this.
  16. RBM

RBM

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can somewhat relate Jeffel. I recently came out to my wife as well. I am 40 now with two kids, my wife and I have been together since we were 18 years old. She’s been supportive through it all and we are doing our best to make it work for the kids sake. We even tried an open marriage which was a disaster. So now we are pretty much just staying together for the kids. We are no longer intimate, still live together, but still remain great friends. Trying to focus on making myself better person and my goals in the meantime.

No matter what you do in life she will get hurt in some way or form. The longer you wait the less chance she can potentially find someone she can grow old with. If you guys are best friends I am a strong believer that you guys can work it out (together or apart). There’s never a day that I regret telling my wife about who I really am, no matter how hard it’s been. In that sense I am lucky, because my wife has my back no matter what. I hope the same for you. Best of luck Jeffel!

quebec, JT1999 and Jakey James like this.
  17. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds like you're in a good place right now. How old are your kids? Have you talked about what happens when the kids have grown up?

Out of interest, what was disastrous about the 'open marriage' thing?

18. Vintage gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jeffel: just something to think about. You can leave your wife without disclosing your sexuality. Coming out and immediately getting divorced is just too much for some people. Take it one step at a time. Think through what a divorce would look like, child custody, division of assets, that sort of thing. Do your best to keep things amicable. Once that has been accomplished, move on to coming out. Your sexuality will not color the terms of your divorce. I left my wife, moved away, and lived my life. It's been five years and with the help of EC I'm just now getting ready to tell my ex-wife and kids that I'm gay. Good luck, keep us posted.

quebec likes this.
  19. jeffel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for this advice. Unfortunately, my wife has known about my sexuality since before we were married. If it hadn't been for my parents insisting on me being straight or getting kicked out of their house, I probably never would have gotten married. Don't get me wrong, I love her, but I had to deny my true self to do it.

Vintage gay likes this.
  20. Vintage gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I still think some counseling would be helpful.