1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vent type post about my mum

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by GayRoachGal, Sep 3, 2023.

1. GayRoachGal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    im so fucking annoyed and angry with my mum.

for those of you who do not know, there is a place called Daylesford, which happens to be the queer capital, she was trying to tell my grandfather this without explicitly saying “queer capital” so she said “rainbow capital” my grandfather still didn’t get it so she said...

( trigger warning maybe idk)

“The capital of AIDs”

I wanted to do something very nasty right then, like has she forgotten she has a gay daughter? WTF, I’m not going to talk to her until she has figured out that what she said was a horrible thing to say, at least i’m going on camp this week( why I may not be super active)

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow! That was a big about-face. When she used the term "rainbow capital" she at least seemed to be trying, but to go from that to AIDs capital is one hell of a shift. I'm not surprised you are upset.

What was she trying to protect your grandfather from anyway?

3. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It’s hard to describe just how much of a faux pas it was without resorting to expletives. I mean, sure, it’s possible to imagine that an older person might not understand words like “queer” or “rainbow capital”, but there are other words to get the idea across, without referring to disgusting stereotypes such as what she said.

But, perhaps it’s worth bringing up with her? If she didn’t understand it by herself, maybe tell her about how you feel about her choice of words.

GayRoachGal likes this.
  4. GayRoachGal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    she was trying to say avoid saying queer or gay because my younger sister was in the room( she's around 8).
    she could have just said gay because there's no point hiding it like she did with me ( only found out gay people existed when I was around 12-13)

Keller likes this.