1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gave girlfriend space as she requested but now she seems upset

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Crunchy, Aug 11, 2023.

1. Crunchy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My girlfriend has been stressed recently for various reasons and has voiced feeling a bit unsure of the relationship, and then came to the conclusion that she needed more space.

I have given her that space - whilst also being there for her on key things - but now she seems a bit hurt that I am not as available as before? I have focussed on making plans with others and increasing my independence to accommodate her request for space whilst also preserving my self respect etc.

Do you have any advice on what’s going on here or how to manage this?

Sometimes I wonder if she doesn’t really know what she wants/ needs, and needs to get clear on that first. I also wonder if she sometimes forgets that there is two of us in it and that her decisions etc have an impact on me too.

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you could be right on both counts. If she's asked for space and is now upset that you're not as available, it sounds like she's upset that you're living a life that doesn't involve her. In other words, she wants to be away from you but she wants to know that you're waiting for her so that, if she calls, you'll be free to come running. It's a rather immature way to approach a relationship.

Sounds like you need a conversation.

Rayland likes this.
  3. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They could've also realized they love you, but don't wish to seem selfish, since they were the one to ask for space. I think @Aspen is very right and you two need to have a proper conversation, if haven't already. I hope you update us, if you wish on the situation and I hope it works out. Communication is key.