1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Then and Now religious views

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bl3ssed1, Aug 6, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bl3ssed1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Would you say you were raised Catholic, and, now, a skeptical Catholic?
    I agree that Catholicism is a sect of Christianity. I believe there are many differences between the doctrines, where the protestant church typically relies on just the Bible, and Catholicism relies on the Bible, culture, and traditions. I believe the biggest difference between the two, typically, is the guarantee of salvation.

2. Bl3ssed1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know how I managed to quote two different responses here....

3. Bl3ssed1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's very interesting. What caused you to be curious about religion, to the extent of reading several religious texts, after being raised in a non-religious home? What caused you to rest your faith in Christianity, as opposed to Muslim, Buddhist, etc?

I will send you a message on your profile for more information regarding the verses you studied in context to sexual activities. I always considered my sexual practice and lust to be sinful (but I don't force that idea on others; I hold myself to that (Romans 14)).

I also like to study the Bible via the Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic languages, although Aramaic is very limited to some verses in Ezra and Daniel, and one verse in Jeremiah. Have you ventured through the dead sea scrolls?

#23 Bl3ssed1, Aug 9, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
  4. Colm

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see any reason to believe in god - certainly not one who is all-loving and all-powerful, given the hideous cruelty and pointless suffering that huge swathes of the human population endure and always have endured. The natural world in its raw state is horribly cruel, vicious and wasteful. If the human lot has improved over time, it's because of the efforts of humans themselves using science to cure diseases, improve sanitation, and feed more people. Somebody above equated science to a belief system, but it's the opposite of that. Science is constantly testing its own premises and conclusions, but religion often begins with a conclusion and works backwards, desperately trying to make the "evidence" fit.

Christians have to believe some really out-there, physics-breaking stuff: walking on water, curing the blind / deaf / paralysed, magic food appearing out of nowhere, exorcisms, reincarnation. If we heard about someone claiming to perform these acts in the present day, I think we'd be extremely sceptical. Yet somehow through the fog of time, these claims acquire the air of plausibility. Jesus should have appeared in the age of the smartphone.

Atheism is not a belief system, it's the absence of one. I don't think most atheists assert that there is definitely no god, only that they don't see any reason to think that there is. I don't know how the universe started, or if there's anything after death, and neither does anyone else, really. The ones making the claim that they do know are the ones on whom the burden of proof has to fall, and I've yet to see any plausible proof coming from a Christian or any other religious person. Rather, in most cases, the belief seems merely to be meeting an emotional need.

5. Bl3ssed1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Are you saying you were raised under the umbrella of atheism, and continue to live under that belief (or lack thereof)?

6. Violet Rain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Then: I was raised in a strict Anglican/Episcopalian household, mostly my mom dictating what we're to do as "Christians". I was so terrified of going to hell as a child that I was well behaved and really didn't start rebelling until I was 9 or 10. Then I realized my mother wasn't always right and I could be my own person.

I went from devout Christian as a child to doubting it, Christian Wicca, Christian Witch, and eventually general witch... Now I'm Einsteinian Witch - I believe in full balance. When you do something good, good comes your way and the same with being horrible.

I'm still in the broom closet with my family though... Mom would have a meltdown if she finds out I left Christianity, and I was on a pagan forum for a long time, and as a staffer to boot. She thinks I'm a non practicing Christian. Uh... :sweat_smile: She knows I have no problem with other belief systems, and that I believe all paths lead to the divine, that no path is "wrong".

My husband's family and a lot of my pals know I'm not Christian and they don't care. Thank heavens. In fact, my youngest sibling in law and I talk about nature and other things related to my beliefs sometimes. It's nice having someone in the family who gets it.

7. Bl3ssed1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow. I never heard of "Christian wicca". Can you explain?

8. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is accurate from my extensive study too. The condemnation is always about something else like rape and it gets contorted and translated to be against gay guys. There's is so much more like this which is fabricated to control people, that we've been lied to about, and is still taught as truth to indoctrinate. They say it's wrong to lie but keep doing it which eliminates all credibility. It makes it intolerable for me, with all that I can see plain as day that supports basic facts of our existence in the universe. We are literally made of stardust that existed in multiple stars that lived and died over billions of years, before the material became our solar system, and eventually you and me and everything around us. I think all of that is amazing and how much we can see in the universe with the latest technology humans invented. :slight_smile:

9. Colm

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No sorry, keeping to the initial question asked, I should have said that I was raised Christian but stopped believing in my adolescence.

10. Bl3ssed1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Don't apologize. I enjoy reading the stories, and would've asked anyway.

11. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've grown up in a catholic family, but then became an atheist when I was a teenager.

Recently, I've started studying buddhism and I've been to a few meetings in my city's buddhist group. I'm not sure if I consider myself a buddist at this moment, but, for now, I'm finding their way of thought really interesting. One thing I really liked is how welcoming they were with me, saying things like "you don't need to be a buddhist to study with us and it doesn't really matter if you disagree with something. Learn and use what you think is useful to you, but you have no obligation to follow everything to the letter".

#31 Chiroptera, Aug 9, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
  12. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello All.....Discussions about religion can get contentious...which is something that we try to avoid here on Empty Closets. An honest sharing of ideas and beliefs is great and so far this thread has been that....congratulations! :old_big_grin: While I do call myself a Christian, I by no means accept everything in the Bible at face value. The explanation for that is long, somewhat boring and this is just not the place for that kind of discussion. I simply prefer to have a belief as opposed to no belief and have no problem with anyone who feels differently than I do! :old_smile:

I have done extensive study (as I mentioned above) about the Bible's position on same-sex relationships and LGBTQ in general. My studies lead me to the conclusion that those who claim that the Bible condemns same-sex relationships and the LGHBTQ community in general are either just listening to what someone else has said or have never spent the time to really study what the original authors of the six passages that are used to attack the LGBTQ Community actually say. Just reading an English translation will NOT give you the true meaning that the original authors were trying to communicate. Again as I mentioned in the post above, "The New Testament cannot say today what it did not say in the first century", and in the first century it did not condemn same-sex relationships as we know them today as they did not exist. Neither did it condemn the LGBTQ Community as we know it today, again because it did not exist. Those passages were referring to pagan worship-prostitution and the practice of older men having boys as "companions" which was a well established Roman and Greek tradition.

......David :gay_pride_flag:

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't answer your first question because I have always questioned most things in life. From when I was fairly young. It probably irritated some people.

That's a fairly good analysis of the difference. I don't like it when people argue about this stuff. Most of my friends are agnostic, atheist, or Catholics who stopped attending. It almost guarantees that our friendship will have less drama and that's how I want it.

I agree with the observation that we should tread with some caution on this thread. Every member is bound to have a different viewpoint on this topic that they are entitled to.

14. Loves books

Raised Catholic and forced to attend church until I was 18. I’m now agnostic and have been for longer than I believed. I have an uncle who’s a priest and answered every question I had about God and religion with the word ‘faith’. I always sort of wondered why it’s fine to show children a man nailed to a cross with blood dripping down his face from the crown of thorns he’s wearing, with a huge bloody gash in his side. And people say video games are too violent. Catholic school from ages 4-18 didn’t really help me believe either. My secondary school was right next door to the church and occasionally forced us to attend. The church’s bullshit about how it’s fine to be gay as long as you don’t act on it didn’t help.

15. Bl3ssed1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I do the same thing: questioning everything. It does irritate people, and I don't mind. I don't believe everything I'm told, and I think that's what really irritates people.
    Example: One time I was asked if I thought the earth was a sphere or a flat plane...lol. I said I don't know because I haven't been in space to see it for myself. I was basically attacked from both sides. That was fun.

16. Bl3ssed1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am interested in learning how views change over time. I hope no one is offended by my opinions or questions.

As for the rest, I respect your opinion, and find myself struggling. I condemn no one. That would make me a hypocrite. I consider myself a sinner and judge no one but myself. I have studied the Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic of the Bible. A Hebrew word used 81x for male, only refers to a male child 4x. We can't apply 'child' to every use to every use of the word 'male'. I don't rely on what any specific person claims it says or means. I refer to the Bible itself. I'm not trying to be disrespectful by saying that. Please don't take it that way.

Because of my studies in microbiology, I was able to discover the potential 'why' the Bible might be against it. Today, we have better protection to avoid the immunological damage caused by seminal plasma and spermatozoa in the rectum. Similarly, I have looked into the potential reasons for why certain foods are prohibited, and discovered the higher potential of parasitic transfer.

I appreciate you, as an advisor, allowing the conversation to continue, without making it about the Bible and ancient biblical terms or translations. It's simply meant to strike conversation about how religious views (and lack thereof) change over time.

17. Colm

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen you say this before and I don't really know what you mean. Could you cite studies that show what you are talking about?

18. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Was the Quaker worship you experienced programmed or unprogrammed?

In the UK the overwhelming majority of Quakers (Society of Friends) meet in silence for unprogrammed worship and they tend to be very liberal, with an emphasis on simplicity, truthfulness, equality, peace and sustainability. They were the first faith commnuity to offer same sex marriage in their meeting houses and in recent weeks they have made a clear declaration of support for trans people. While many UK Quakers are followers of Jesus' teachings, a very significant minority are not. They are Quakers because they support the Quaker testimonies and values of friendship and see something of God (or Good) in everyone. I know it's a little different in the United States with programmed and unprogrammed meetings and conservative as well as liberal Quakers.

Just curious about your past experience of Quakers.

19. Bl3ssed1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    All friends meetings I went to as a child were unprogrammed silent worship. At the time, I didn't fully understand what was going on.

20. Bl3ssed1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Here is an old one. Most of the good studies are hidden, for a variety of reasons, which I cannot get into. I recommend following the 'cited by' to get more updated articles. I'm not going to share studies I contributed to because revealing who I am goes against forum rules. This one is old, but it has a string of studies before, and a whole lot more after. Follow the citations.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3434658/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.