1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heartstopper: Season 2 [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by HM03, Aug 5, 2023.

1. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Curious of everybody's thoughts on the second season. Best parts, worst parts, how it compared to the first season & the graphic novels etc

The first season was very wholesome, and a nice light watch - very easy to rewatch. Loved the second season as well, cutesy as well. But with things being a little TOO real near the end of the season, not sure if it'll have the same rewatchability for me.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dunno about you, but season one gripped me by the collar and slapped me repeatedly with emotional impact lol. I had never seen anything like it and had no idea how much I kind of needed it? To see a lot of real-life crap but also teens being vulnerable to each other, with plenty of examples of really angelic treatment of others. That was not so much the experience of my youth. The show motivated me to be more expressive with the people close to me. It really is a treasure and nothing short of life-changing in my case.

I knew what I was getting into with the second season at least. I liked the extra character development of the others in the group beyond Nick and Charlie. Saw Isaac's ace identity from miles out so kind of laughed that he had to have his little arc too, but it's good he did for the sake of the audience who needed that. I'm also glad in a weird way that no one in the main group (except for Nick maybe hehe) is totally flawless. They all have immaturity and personality problems that are not quickly solved or easily ignored. Especially with Tara and Darcy's "I love you" subplot where this was almost said verbatim, we can recognize these characters (and people in our real lives) are imperfect and still love them fiercely. For someone like me who suffers severely from any kind of embarrassment or criticism, it's a message that bears repeating.

Point being, Heartstopper is life. Season 3 when

3. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven’t read the graphic novels, but I believe Alice Oseman who created the graphic novels also works on the show. Good for her and people who were already fans of the graphic novels before it got turned into a show. I would imagine it makes those fans very happy to see the material adapted with Alice Oseman’s input. I have watched both seasons of the show adaptation. Season 1 I really liked because it gave me what I want to see if the main relationship is going to be between two male characters. By avoiding the typical tropes that are common in media surrounding those types of relationship, which I’m not a fan of. Instead, Charlie and Nick had what I felt was a very sweet and wholesome romance. One of the reasons it became my favorite piece of LGBT media after I finished it. Then, Season 2 I think managed to continue that same path with them. So thank you HeartStopper means a lot.

The other main characters like Issac, Darcy, Tara, Elle, and Tao I enjoyed as well by the end of Season 1. Even though Issac had the least amount of character or development. So it was nice to see Season 2 give him more attention with the ace storyline. Season 2 I would say I enjoyed as well. With other developments like Elle getting to show off her piece at Here and Queer were cute too. Given the charming detail that it was artwork of her, Tao, Charlie, and Issac together. Charlie’s reveal of having an eating order while a serious subject. I think for what time was dedicated Season 2 handled it well. As Nick was understanding of the situation. Then, wanted Charlie to tell him if it ever comes up again. Good boyfriend material in my opinion. So overall I would say the show has turned out to be an enjoyable time for me.

4. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Isaac I mean

5. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't even seen the 1st season

6. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was a big fan of the books, so when season one was announced I was excited but worried. However, I was pleasantly surprised when season one captured the story perfectly. I loved the inclusion of the leaves and the comic panel-esque scene transitions! Definitely glad that Alice Oseman was heavily involved in the production of the series. I watched the entire season in one sitting with my friend. Fun fact, Alice makes a cameo on the train in season one. I fangirled a little when I saw that in the show.

However, since I'd already read the books, I knew that season two was going to deal with some darker topics. I was also looking forward to watching the chaos of the Paris trip. Admittedly, season two was a bit heavier for me. I wasn't able to binge-watch it in one sitting like season one. Although, I don't think that's a bad thing. Especially the scene in the woods where Nick's thoughts are spiralling. Charlie wanting to protect Nick was emotionally painful. It hit close to home. Just ow.

I liked the use of purple smoke and the words fading out in Darcy's storyline. Darcy trying to be strong for Tara was *sigh* yeah. I feel seen. Elle and Tao are adorable bless them.

I hope that Isaac is developed a little more in season three. So far I feel as though we haven't seen much of him as a character.

Also, props for how Ben was handled in season two. The direct conversation about unhealthy relationships and control was majorly appreciated.