1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Married and out to wife of 20 years as Bi, now what? Stressed!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Eric23, Jul 22, 2023.

1. Eric23

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have been married for 20 years and was forced out to my wife three months ago. Although I have had some attractions to men over the years, it became much more pervasive about 4 years ago, I’m now 51. I was trying to figure myself out and was sexting to test the waters. She wasn’t snooping, it was a total fluke. When confronted by my wife I ultimately accepted and owned that I am bisexual. I have been going to counseling since, and it definitely helps but I am still struggling with a few issues.
    1) I’m completely fixated on learning more in order to get comfortable with myself. I have a lot of insecurity as I am trying to learn who I really am and what does this all mean for me and my wife. I have pretty much been in a state of nervousness since and I want it to go away!!
    2) I am attracted to and love my wife dearly. Things have been a bit of a roller coaster as she is really uncomfortable talking about this. This causes me to read between the lines and a lot of times making up dark stories about what is going on. I do not want our marriage to end. I know this takes time, so curious on others that have gone though this how they managed it. We are going to couples therapy next week.

I did go to a men’s GBT meeting this week with the hopes of meeting someone to talk to, but I didn’t find someone to relate to. Plan on going again as it did feel good to take that step.

Last night during dinner my wife brought it up (I was so thankful!!) and asked about the meeting and if I was going to go again. When I asked if it bothered her she said no, but when I asked if it scared her she said yes. She is worried I am going to decide I am gay after all. I’ve questioned myself on this and I’m definitely attracted to her and other women, thus I’m Bi! She is also questioning if I am not planning on acting on it, what am I looking to get out of it. I’m looking to relate to and find someone for support.

How have others come to be comfortable with oneself and thrive in a monogamous marriage? I appreciate your stories and advice!

Jayo and BiShark like this.
  2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Eric.....Hello and a great big LGBTQIA+ welcome to Empty Closets! :old_smile: I can remember the first post that I made on EC. I was desperate for help and I got the help that night that I so needed. I hope that we can help you in the same way that I received help. The most important thing to remember about Empty Closets is that we do care about you! We're very glad that you found us here on EC and hope that we can answer questions, give you support and provide a place to vent (as long as it's not violent!) :old_big_grin: when that becomes necessary!

*****There are 18 different sub-forums here that you can check out and join in the conversations or start your own thread/conversation. When I first joined Empty Closets I was in need of a lot of support and encouragement and I found it here…EC is a safe place. I hope that you'll find good things here too! Folks here will talk to you and share...you don't have to be afraid of asking questions...we're glad to have you! Empty Closets is all about making connections and giving LGBT folks a voice when they otherwise don't have one in their day-to-day lives. In particular you may want to check out the forum that is titled "Sexual Orientation”, there are people there who may have dealt with some of the same kind of issues that could be challenging you.
    *****I went through a very similar situation a number of years ago. I came out as gay here on Empty Closets in 2014. At first I said that I would never come out to my family and would take my secret to my grave. However, that secret held power over me and continued to cause me depression, guilt and self-hate. With the help of the great people here on EC and a wonderful therapist, I came out to my wife in March of 2016. It was the most difficult thing that I have ever done, but it destroyed the power that the secret held over me. I was able to start healing after the secret was broken and I am so glad that I came out to my wife. Since then I have read posts from other men who have come out to their wives and there are some rather significant similarities in the reaction of the wives in many of the situations. I can see some of the same similarities in your situation. Many wives in this situation feel a fear of abandonment. They fear that their husband will leave them and go in search of a male companion. That also leads to a fear of being unable to financially support themselves. Especially when the marriage has lasted for a number of years, the wife fears that she will be left to fend for herself when she feels that she isn't equipped to deal with everything "out there" that her husband has been taking care of. It's a fear of the unknown. Like you, I did not want a divorce. My wife and I had been married for 38 years at the time this all happened. We had built a life and a family together. In spite of accepting that I am gay, my family was more important to me than a boyfriend or any hookups could possibly be. I assured her that I had no intention of looking for any kind of gay relationship and that I did love her very much and did not want anything about our marriage to change. I just needed to stop hiding who I really was and accept myself. I didn't want to broadcast to world or to our community that I was gay and that it could be kept to ourselves. My whole point was to assure her that nothing significant about our lives was going to change. I was just going to be able to admit to her that I was gay. Due to health issues we had not been intimate for quite some time, so that was not a problem. We agreed that we would not tell our three sons unless a reason occurred that made it advisable. Since this happened in 2016, we have told two of our three sons and they have accepted it very graciously. I don't know how close my situation is to yours...but I hope that my experience will somehow help you work out how to navigate yours. Coming out later in life is difficult. Our society forced this on so many of us. But at the same time, I have three sons and nine grandkids and I wonder what would have happened if I had been out and stayed out in my twenties and thirties...etc. It's a thought that I don't like to think about. For right now though I want you to remember that you are a part of our wonderful LGBTQ Family and we do care! Please keep us updated on how things continue to unfold. :old_smile:

Some info on how to navigate EC:
    When you have made at least 10 posts on various threads you will be able to post messages on a member's Profile Page. Just click on a member's Avatar Picture and then click on "Profile Page" in the dialogue box that pops up. You'll then be on their Profile Page and there will be a box that says: "Write Something" When you have been on EC for a few weeks and have made at least 50 posts on various forums, you can apply for Full Membership. A Full Member can send Private Messages (PM) to other Full Members and share personal contact info. Right now you can only send a PM to a Staff Member as that is always possible. Here is a quote from the Full Membership information forum: :old_cool:

*****To be eligible you must be a member of Empty Closets for a minimum of two weeks, and have a minimum of 50 posts. These posts must be across numerous forums (Fun & Games does not contribute to post count), and consistently posted across a minimum of two weeks. You wouldn't be eligible, for example, if you registered, had no activity for two weeks, and then returned to post 50 times on your 14th day of membership.

*****Well, as I said, we're very glad you found us! :old_rolleyes: If you have any questions at all, you can always send me a Private Message.

.....David :gay_pride_flag:

3. Eric23

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you both, I appreciate the support. It’s been freeing but at the same time really scary. My wife seems to be accepting, but I know she’s worried about “what’s next” and am I going to just come out as gay and leave. I’ve assured her that isn’t the case, I’m still wildly attracted to her and other women, I just can’t help the attraction I now have for some men. Now that I’ve accepted it, it’s crazy how I see a lot of this that I repressed in the past. We are spending more time together and the bedroom has even improved, I just can’t shake the feeling we’re on shaky ground. I know communication and time will get us through this and I appreciate everyone’s advice and support!

BiShark and quebec like this.
  4. BiShark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That seems like a good way to look at it. It's understandable that it's a little scary for her as it is something new.

To that I can add I have been through a similar experience with my wife. I'm a few months shy of 49 now, discovered I was bi later in life (and, as you described, it was very eye opening to reconsider my past in light of that).

I first came out to my wife maybe 5 years ago, but presented it as bi-curious. Starting last year I began to feel more confident that that is who I am, so we talked about it more and I decided to come out more fully. You can see me talking about some of this in my earliest posts here.

She didn't really seem to be too bothered about our initial conversation but definitely had some worries as I brought it forward more. We got through those and she is now fully comfortable with it. Just took some time.

5. Eric23

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    thanks for your stairs, I’m so happy things worked out for you and others I have met. It definitely gives me hope that all will be well.

6. Eric23

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

7. BiShark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course. Hopefully there's something there that helps.

One thing I do still struggle with, and it sounds like you may be, too, is how to express or explore being bi while in a straight-presenting relationship. That's something I may have more thoughts on later...

8. Violet Rain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome to EC and I hear you on that about the spouse.

I'm bi, and married to a man. He gets that I'm curious and want to explore the attraction I have for women, but at the same time, he's terrified I will decide I'm more attracted to women and fall for another woman, and leave him in the dust.

I didn't come out to myself or Hubby till recently. I had repressed it due to my mom and other members of the family telling me that anything other than being straight/hetero is a "sin" due to their own hateful beliefs. I'm no longer Christian but I can still hear them screaming it in my head, 20 years after I officially left the church.

I think what is needed is LOTS of communication. Remind your wife that she is still loved and you are still attracted to her. It will feel shaky as long as she is thinking you're going to up and leave her for another man, or anyone else. I know because the exact same thing is happening with Hubby and myself. It's shaky but we're doing more and it's better in the private areas of our lives at once. It's an odd feeling.

Just take one day at a time... Hug your wife as much as she'll allow it. Let her know you still adore her and you're still attracted to her (a LOT). Talk to her as much as both of you need to. In time, hopefully things won't be so shaky. Just take it as things come.

Hang in there, we're all rooting for you. :slight_smile:

BiShark likes this.
  9. Eric23

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I’m with you. That’s where I am at, so I’m Bi, now what? I came out to a close friend yesterday and it felt really good.

BiShark likes this.
  10. Eric23

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for the encouraging words. I’m looking forward to our counseling session tomorrow. It’s weird, things seem really good between us, but there is this underlying weirdness I can’t shake. I’m sure it’s in my head, but I can’t wait for it to go away!

11. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Eric I am a married Bi guy too and can relate to alot your going through too !

Jayo likes this.