1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A thought that comes up sometimes and I need some advice or ideas

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Lyrie, May 28, 2023.

1. Lyrie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So there is one point like really sudden that one thing pops up in my mind. I like girls and I want to date girls and maybe get married one day but there is a part of me wanting a “normal” life like having kids … because my family is kind of traditional. I know how you can have kids with IVF , adoption etc but somewhere in the brain just want to get a husband and get kids etc. It’s a thought for like a 10 years time but it still keeps on coming up. But I actually never dated anyone so I just really don’t know. Future just kind of scares me sometimes.

2. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lyric,

I’m married and our children are grown and live on their own now. I always knew I wanted to be a father, and I think it is one of the most important role/identity I’ve had. I love my wife, and (just in the past five years) I also know I’m bisexual. I am not sure what path I would take if I was young now, there are so many options and family configurations.

I chose someone I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with, I’m good at monogamy, though I think about guys all the time now at this late stage of my life and it took years for my wife to be comfortable with me being out to everyone.

The choices I made worked out for me, and I was willing to work on the relationship. Most importantly I accept and embrace myself and I am honest to myself and my wife (and everyone).

I don’t know if that helps, as I’m from a different time and culture (and different gender). Welcome to Empty Closets, and look around the various forums, there is so much variety of ways of navigating life shown here - and great people.

3. Beezy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Lyrie, my advice to to determine if it’s the husband what you prefer to have or the kids. If you really want a husband good on you, the kids will come along. But if it’s just the kids it’s not fair to get a husband into a false relationship that is bound for divorce. You need to define your sexual orientation first before you decide on the later.

4. Lyrie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much for the replies. I never really said this to anyone so I was glad to get some replies. I think over time I will be able to figure it out and just come back here to ask questions and advice. Thank you to both for the time spent for the reply

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is quite natural for your brain to feel like it wants what is “normal”. That is what society has told you you should want for all of your life. I agree that you shouldn’t just get a husband to have kids as that isn’t fair on anyone. If it helps I have a wife and an adopted child so if you have any questions feel free to ask. I know it wouldn’t be deemed the normal way but there is more to being a mother than giving birth to the child.