1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to deal with male friend who wants more?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by xfemmelesbian, Feb 21, 2023.

1. xfemmelesbian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :gay_pride_flag::couple_ww:

Hi everyone,

As you may be able to tell from my username, I am a lesbian and I present myself in a very feminine way. I am a 25 year old AFAB woman who uses she/her pronouns.

I am in a very tricky situation with one male friend. I identified as bisexual for years due to struggling with compulsory heterosexuality and I realised I wasn’t bisexual and I was actually a lesbian back in 2019. This is blatantly obvious to me now looking back. I am now fully out to everyone in my life as a lesbian apart from this one male friend. He knew I identified as bisexual for years as we had spoken about it often and I think he knows i’m a lesbian and has known for some time as I never show interest in men (real life or celebrities) and all of my ‘celebrity crushes’ I speak with him about are exclusively all women, I repeatedly tell him I would not be interested in anything sexual with a man at all and have told him none of my previous relationships with men satisfied me emotionally, I was a teenager at the time so there was no sexual relationship other than affectionate behaviour which made me feel repulsed and extremely uncomfortable, I tell him that any attention in a more than platonic way from men makes me extremely uncomfortable and I tell him about a female I am very close with who is also a lesbian and is my girlfriend. I haven’t explicitly stated I am in a relationship with her (although I am 100% sure he knows but is in denial) as I am certain if I was open with him about being a lesbian and not bisexual with an obvious massive preference for women he would not want to be my friend anymore because he acts extremely jealous and I know for a fact he likes me because he calls me beautiful constantly and refers to me as ‘his’ sometimes and it makes me extremely uncomfortable; I have cried to my girlfriend about this multiple times and she is extremely understanding and supportive about it and talks me through it and strokes my hair until I fall asleep as we cuddle in bed. I love her so much and I am certain he knows this so I don’t get why he won’t stop. There have been times where I have mentioned things I have planned with my girlfriend and he has made possessive comments about me but this seems to have stopped after I told him that he doesn’t get to tell me what to do. I apologise profusely to her for his behaviour which she says I am not to blame for and the way he acts towards me could probably be seen as harassment (he has made a lot of comments about my appearance that made me very uncomfortable but hasn’t for a while). He has even commented on how much happier I seem around her which I am. He is one of my best friends and I don’t want to lose his friendship but he just won’t accept that we will never be together. We usually get on well as friends and have a laugh. I have borderline personality disorder so I am massively affected by relationship triggers, be it family/friendship/romantic. I have no romantic or sexual interest in him at all and I know that he knows this but if I tell him I am a lesbian and in a relationship with a girl who has been one of my best friends for almost ten years I am certain he will end our friendship and I really don’t want that. I worry I am leading him on in a way but I honestly do not mean to and everyone in my life other than him has told me that they know I would never intentionally do that including my girlfriend. She doesn’t want me to end my friendship with him unless I want to because she would like to at least be on speaking terms with him. I don’t even know if anything can be done to help this situation but I just needed to see it written in front of me.

Sorry for the long post. Hope everyone is having a good day/night! :blush:

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    xfemmelesbian.....Hello and a great big LGBTQIA+ welcome to Empty Closets! :old_smile: I can remember the first post that I made on EC. I was desperate for help and I got the help that night that I so needed. I hope that we can help you in the same way that I received help. The most important thing to remember about Empty Closets is that we do care about you! We're very glad that you found us here on EC and hope that we can answer questions, give you support and provide a place to vent (as long as it's not violent!) :old_big_grin: when that becomes necessary!

*****There are 18 different sub-forums here that you can check out and join in the conversations or start your own thread/conversation. I've often suggested to people who are having a hard time coming out to someone that they should try writing a letter to them. I think that might be helpful in your situation also. With a letter you can take your time to say what you need to say and even edit it a few times so that it really does make your point without being cruel to him. Maybe that way you can make your point in such a way that he will understand that you do value him as a friend and want to keep that friendship.

Some info on how to navigate EC:
    When you have made at least 10 posts on various threads you will be able to post messages on a member's Profile Page. Just click on a member's Avatar Picture and then click on "Profile Page" in the dialogue box that pops up. You'll then be on their Profile Page and there will be a box that says: "Write Something" When you have been on EC for a few weeks and have made at least 50 posts on various forums, you can apply for Full Membership. A Full Member can send Private Messages (PM) to other Full Members and share personal contact info. Right now you can only send a PM to a Staff Member as that is always possible. Here is a quote from the Full Membership information forum: :old_cool:

*****To be eligible you must be a member of Empty Closets for a minimum of two weeks, and have a minimum of 50 posts. These posts must be across numerous forums (Fun & Games does not contribute to post count), and consistently posted across a minimum of two weeks. You wouldn't be eligible, for example, if you registered, had no activity for two weeks, and then returned to post 50 times on your 14th day of membership.

*****Well, as I said, we're very glad you found us! :old_rolleyes: If you have any questions at all, you can always send me a Private Message.

.....David :gay_pride_flag:

3. Really

Hey @xfemmelesbian
    Welcome to EC!

i think, from reading your post, that he maybe isn’t as good a friend as you think he is. He may have been better at some point but he’s disrespecting you, your relationship, and your sexuality and that’s not right. It sounds like you’ve told him to stop saying these things multiple times and it hasn’t solved anything. If you’re up to it, I’d sit him down and tell him point blank that what he’s doing is wrong for these reasons a, b, and c and ask him if he understands that. Is he pretending not to understand your situation or willfully ignoring it? Tell him clearly and make him tell you precisely what he thinks is going on. His comments and behaviour make you uncomfortable. Is that what he wants? Tell him he needs to totally re-adjust his thinking and attitude towards you or you’ll need to take a step back from his friendship. Temporarily or even permanently if he can’t learn to respect you and you life.

If that’s too much to deal with now, you’re totally within your rights to say you’re too busy elsewhere in your life to hang out/interact with him for now. Or simply turn down any attempts he makes to engage. You’re worth more than the crappy behaviour he’s been giving you.

You are absolutely not leading him on. Being nice is not an invitation to anything more.

4. xfemmelesbian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hey!

Thank you so much for your reply and your warm welcome, I appreciate it!

I was actually considering writing a letter to him but I am just terrified of his response because we have been friends for almost 15 years and I would be gutted to lose him as a friend so I am just trying to think of how to word it.

Again, thank you :blush:

5. xfemmelesbian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hey!

thanks for your reply and your welcome. You are completely right that he is being disrespectful and everything you say makes complete sense. I think that he might just be ignoring the situation because if I show concern about any issue in personal advice he seems to take it as me indirectly showing romantic interest in him which just sucks because I want to be able to show concern and help him and be able to tell him that I am here for him without having to watch my words carefully because this happens every time I show more than a small amount of concern despite him knowing I am like this with absolutely anyone I care about. That is one of the reasons I felt like I was leading him on. A lot of people have said the exact same thing as you.

Everything you have mentioned is exactly what I have wanted to say to him so I just need to think about how to word it. I was thinking of -also writing him a letter explaining my journey of discovering I am a lesbian who used to experience compulsory heterosexuality rather than bisexual and how much I value his friendship.

Thanks again for your reply and your kind words. :blush:

6. xfemmelesbian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry for the double reply! I just wanted to make a correction to my reply, I meant to say his personal life, not personal advice. That was an autocorrect mistake haha!

7. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    xfemmelesbian.....I can understand your hesitancy and that's why I think a letter may be a good way to approach this. A letter gives you the opportunity to edit and rewrite as many times as you need until you feel that the letter really says what you need to say. You can consider what you have written to be sure that you have told him how much you do value your relationship...that you do not want to loose his friendship, etc . It also avoids any kind of a heated back-and-forth discussion that can so easily go awry when the conversation is in a face-to-face situation. It will give him time to think about what you have said and if he does have an emotional reaction, it gives him time to cool down and think clearly about your relationship - about how much he does value you as a friend. However you approach him, I really do hope this works out well for both of you. :old_smile:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

#7 quebec, Feb 23, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  8. xfemmelesbian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you are definitely right. I think I will also include how I came to the realisation I am a lesbian and explain how difficult it was for me to realise that I had been struggling with compulsory heterosexuality my whole life. I am also going to include an apology for any ideas I may have unintentionally given him that I was interested in him for the time we have known each other and that I value our friendship a massive amount. You have been very helpful and are very kind. :blush: