1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it normal to never cry ?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Bludzee, Nov 20, 2022.

1. Bludzee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's been few mounths since I stopped crying. Even when I feel sad, terrible, even when I wanted to cry nothing happens. I have cry once in september and that's all for the last 9 mounths.
    I think it begin in march, when I understood I have a crush on my friend and it really changes me to learn that. I feel a lot of strong emotions, anger, guilt, fear, all of them very extreme but I can't cry.
    Honesly, since then I have felt sadness in a wierd way. Like, I know I am sad but I don't really feel it.
    I'm affraid to loose touch with myself since I felt more and more distant with all my feeling. Now the only one I can really feel viscerally are anger, fear and guilt, sometime joy, but all the other are more distant...
    I don't really know if it's normal, my mom told me it's because of the hormones if I feel more distant with myself.
    I don't know what to do. Any advices ?

2. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The same crossed my mind. I used to cry a lot as a child and teenager and I don't really know why I stopped crying around 18. I started to feel angry more frequently as the "bad" feeling instead of sad. If this is the only thing that happened, and you don't feel like you're going through something difficult or overwhelming, not crying isn't anything abnormal in adults.

3. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do not cry easily. It takes a lot to reach that breaking point for the waterworks to begin. Even if I know that I am angfy enough or sad enough to need a good cry for that to happen. I am far more likely to cry at something happy or moving in a positive way.

4. PrettyBoyBlue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Bludzee! I'm with bsg on this one.. it takes a lot for me these days.

When I was your age though, I felt a certain sort of sadness, but would not cry. It's very difficult for me to describe. It wasn't aching or painful, but it felt very "soft" or "comfortable." Maybe it is normal at that age? I'm not sure.

In my experience, I think if you only felt ONE difficult emotion for very long periods, or a lot of different VERY STRONG emotions very quickly, there would be an issue. Like if you rapidly went from being very joyous to very angry, and back again. Or felt very angry or sad for VERY LONG periods of time, that would be bad. I've had personal experience with both, and I watch out for it now.

#4 PrettyBoyBlue, Nov 20, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  5. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't cry often, even though I feel sad and drained a lot. I think for me, I feel a pretty much constant low level sadness. I used to cry over things a lot more easily than I do now, maybe because I've been through a range of experiences in the past few years that have raised my tolerance to certain things I don't know.

Crying can be cathartic though, and I miss being able to do it more easily. But it's okay if you don't do it very often =)

6. Ipswichfan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Define often. I probably cry once every three weeks. Due to sadness, loneliness or being shamed by a supervisor at work—for not having all my co-workers, contact info in my phone.

7. BocciBee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't cry often but I actually suspect that for me it's an issue from prolonged contact lens use over years and years.