1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at 45?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by tommyj, Jul 20, 2022.

1. tommyj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello all,

I just wanted to share a few thoughts, concerns and questions that I have about coming out of the closet later in life.

I'm currently 45 years old married with two children, a 17 year old son and 15 year old daughter. My wife and I have been married for 19 years and are currently living in the UK. My wife and I both work for the same large non-profit company on international service for another two years before going back home to the US.

It looks like on paper that I have a pretty great life. I have a good family, my kids are wonderful, I have a job, house, car, an all that stuff that would make you think that you have your stuff all together. Except I have one secret, I'm gay. I've known I'm gay for a long time but I didn't want to accept it. I wanted to keep on with the fairy tale that I should just life the life that I have been living and be happy.

The problem is that its killing me on the inside. I have bipolar disorder and my depression and anxiety make me go so crazy and I'm not sure how much that I can take. I want to come out but it will mean my whole world will turn upside down and will have to start from the start with my life.

I'm just wondering if I should just keep on with my current life and deal with the pain and hurt internally on hiding my sexuality or do I come out and deal with the pain of loosing everything that I know. I do love my wife she is a great person and we are awesome friends, but I don't find her sexually or relational attactive anymore.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Tommy

2. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 48, been married twice, have three kids, and came out in April. Best decision I made. I was causing a huge amount of damage to my body that would have eventually killed me. Obviously, I can't tell you what to do, only you can make that decision. I'm going through a lot of stuff right now, filled with both fear and excitement, but its been worth it.

3. The Seeker

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m new to a lot of this and figuring out a lot of things myself but wish you the best in whatever makes you happy!

tommyj likes this.
  4. gritstone

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your needs are just as important as everyone elses in your life (i.e. wife/children etc).
    Equally important, not more, and not less important.
    And think about how you might feel when you look back at your life when you are very old.

Have you tried talking with your wife about your situation?

...I'm not sure if this helps!

Isbjorn and tommyj like this.
  5. tommyj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How did your family take it? Did they understand, were they okay with your decision?

6. tommyj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks! I wish there was a simple answer to this complicated problem I'm facing.

The Seeker likes this.
  7. tommyj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, I've almost done it several times, but then my fear of rejection overwealms me and I chicken out. I'm currently seeing a professional theiripist who I hope will help me be able to come out so I can live the rest of my life not in the bubble.

8. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I guess you have to weigh up what you would lose (your marriage + you might take a financial hit with a divorce) with what you may gain (the knowledge that you're being true to the person you really are).

Imagine though fast forwarding to thirty years from now - you're in your mid 70s and you still haven't come out. Would you feel regret?

Beth

9. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been exceptionally fortunate that the reactions from family and friends have been universally supportive and positive. I am getting divorced, but that is unrelated to anything regarding sexuality and is amicable

10. gritstone

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  11. McLate

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Tommy,
    Your dilemma is shared with a lot of guys here. It's a tough place to be.
    It's sounds like you have accepted your identity which can be part of the struggle and your concern is for your wife and children in how this impacts them. If you decide to come out, this means a difficult conversation with your wife and then a time of processing for you both. That is where I am at the moment although we seem to be have stalled somewhat. For others, the reaction and process seems to vary and some move on quickly.
    There are many postings here from those who have been through the process and about how positive and sometimes essential it is to be authentic and I find it helpful to read those. I also found it really helpful to attend a support group so if you move forward that is something you should seek out too.
    You do need to think of your own needs as well as your family. I hope you find your therapist helpful in working through.

CatsAndDogs, Purple Yoda and Joolz66 like this.
  12. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with Mclate. It is a dilemma that a lot of guys in here are going through including myself because am not very content in my relationship and in my life because I feel sometimes there is something missing. Either am not cut out for marriage or it’s not the right person. She’s a wonderful person and a great mom. We have a good life.But I can’t help the feeling that I am different and maybe I need something else. Another kind of relationship. But it’s very hard to reach a compromise or a decision to end things because I don’t want people to get hurt in the process. And i have to start a completely new life somewhere else facing another kind of struggle to find the right person and be accepted. If this doesn’t work out. I can’t undo what already been done.

Isbjorn likes this.
  13. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know what you are talking about exactly and how you are feeling. It’s not easy. But maybe you can get through it with the help of your therapist to reach a decision and be happy with it.

14. Purple Yoda

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A tough decision for sure.
    Best of luck however you decide to proceed.

15. tommyj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah when I look into the future at 70 i would think I would feel regreat that I never was the "true" person I was ment to be. I do that now sometimes that I've let it go on for so long. It also makes it a little more complicated that I'm living in the UK for work at the moment and leaving my wife would also mean leaving my job and having no place to stay until I could get back to the US and get my feet back on the ground. I'm so close of doing it though, because of what you said, if I regret it now, how much worse would it be if I wait, 5, 10 years or longer.

16. tommyj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah we are going through the options systematicly to make sure I can make it through the whole process.

17. tommyj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If and when I do this I would also think I would need a total restart of my life, but still be the best dad I can be for my children. But, it would mean a major move back to the US from the UK, finding a place to life, a new job a new church ( I'm a pastor of a church that don't support LGBTQ+ rights) and it all. But through it all I think I can start over if I can get past the hurdle of just coming out.

Isbjorn likes this.
  18. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to think me coming out at 30 was late in life maybe because was in the closet for a while

19. BGW49

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That’s one of the reasons I came out. I imagined myself at the end of a life not having experienced an openly bisexual life. The possibility of deep regret at that time inspired me to action.

20. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It might help you decide by thinking in specifics about what you would like your life to look like (e.g., divorced, still married) if you were to come out.