1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I deal with a toxic relationship?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BlueLion, Mar 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, there's this bloke that we've been flirting lately. I'm in love with him, but he keeps on having a toxic behaviour with me.

He is always putting me to the test, he is so demanding and , sometimes, even a little bit cruel. He acts like a psychopath, but he is my psychopath and I don't want to leave him.

Anyway, he is driving me crazy and I don't know what to do anymore. Anybody can relate? Any piece of advice?

Thank you.

2. Y2B

Y2B

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It doesn't look good to me. Have you tried to talk to him about it? How long you know him? Is it just online flirting or you actually seen each other in person? What did you mean by him being demanding and cruel? If you give us more details we will have better insight.

BlueLion likes this.
  3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I see it as you can either just deal with it, or create a boundary (which may mean giving up on it).

You say it's a toxic behavior- is it something you can put up with? Is it something that would be *healthy* for you to put up with?

If not, when you have to communicate that and set a boundary. "I feel like *toxic behaviour* is a bit harsh/cruel etc", then depending on his reaction, you may need to set a boundary. If you set a boundary, follow through with it, or it doesn't really mean much.

I sympathize, it's an unpleasant situation :/

BlueLion likes this.
  4. Morse Code

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you're calling this person a psychopath, it sounds to me like it's clear whether you should leave the relationship. You haven't divulged many details, but I'll go ahead and throw it out there never to discount the power of people like this. I was stalked by my likely-psychopathic neighbor who nearly cost me everything. So if you must make a plan to leave, do it, but do it quietly and don't tell anybody you may share with this person. Do what you can to make a clean break and if you have any kind of support system outside of this person, utilize it and make sure they know what's going on. DomesticShelters.org has some good advice for creating escape plans if you need it and keeping safe after leaving. I hope this helps!

5. KaiOfBees

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    All I can say is, as much as you may love him, imagine years down the road in a committed relationship with someone who is constantly disrespectful and cruel to you. Do you wanna spend those years that way, or move on now and look for other options? Your life, your choice.

6. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've met him for more than ten years. Nowadays, it's just online flirting, since we lost touch. At the moment, I'm busy. But I will provide you with more details, soon.

#6 BlueLion, Mar 8, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
  7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just cut it off. As it's only online flirting, you need do no more. Use the block or delete button and move on.

Sometimes the simplest advice is the best advice.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This. 1000%. You do not need anyone toxic or psychopathic in your life, You deserve better,

9. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm willing to deal with it. Yes, maybe I should give him space. As a result, he might stop creating this tension between us. In fact, it's like a game we have between us. But, the boy likes to play harsh.

10. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe, I've been too hard on him. The thing is he drives me up to the wall. At the beginnig, this kind of game made me really uncomfortable, but I'm starting to have fun with him. I don't know. He makes me feel alive. I'm so jealous, because he's like Mr. Perfect, and I'm just a normal bloke. I mean I don't envy him, but I wouldn't like the idea that he flirts with other guys or even girls, (I don't know whether he's gay or bi). Of course, he can do whatever he wants with his life. But it just hurts so much. I want to be his only one.

#10 BlueLion, Mar 8, 2022
  11. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I just want to be with him and be happy. But I need to become my perfect version, so that he's attracted to me again.

#11 BlueLion, Mar 8, 2022
  12. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I beg to differ, Patrick. Sometimes, people just need another chance. I don't mean to sound disrespectul to you, but that's what I think.

13. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's no one better than him. He is like a God. I mean everything he has is perfect. Not just physically, but he's like the best person in the world. Nobody has ever done so many things for me.

14. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why would you want to be involved with someone who you have described as toxic and a psychopath? Somebody who is always putting you to the test and driving you crazy (your words). We're not seriously talking about second chances here, are we?

I don't wish to be rude, but what do you think it says about your own mental state if you are playing along with all of this? It's not rational and it doesn't make sense.

itsuka and BiGemini87 like this.
  15. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know. Sometimes love is not rational. And yes, if he asked me so, I would be up for a second chance.

16. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, @BlueLion. I guess this really depends on what this guy's behaviour has been. When you say he's really put you to the test and the like, what kinds of things has he been saying or doing? You said you knew him in person before; was he ever physically abusive? Manipulative?

I'm also a bit concerned about you viewing him as a god; he's no such thing. He is a person, flawed as anyone else. I think it's important that the rose-tinted glasses come off in matters of the heart, because viewing someone as perfect and without faults often sets someone up for abuse (or further abuse). If your standard for his perfection is his appearance, you need to take some time to re-evaluate your priorities. If he's being horrible towards you and has been given the opportunity to change his behaviour and hasn't, he's no good for you--no matter how handsome he might be. If his offenses are minor, then it's important to have this discussion with him. If he's unwilling to change (or says he will but makes zero effort), it's likely best to just cut contact altogether.

If his offenses are many and more severe in nature, no amount of second chances will fix things. We can't tell you what to do, but I do advise that you think it over and ask yourself why you're so intent on staying in contact with this guy when 1) you don't/can't see each other in person, and 2) he's awful to you. Take some time to build up your self worth, to realize that you are deserving of respect and healthy relationships. Don't settle for less.

17. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Look, I really don't know what to tell you. The guy is beyond fucked up, abuses you, you describe him as cruel.

And then you say there's no one better.

Honestly, nobody here can help you if you want to have a psychopath in your life. It's fucking ridiculous, abusive, unhealthy, and from what you describe, he's manipulative and narcissistic. Not what anyone wants, needs, or deserves.

So you can either continue to be suckered by him, or you can dump him and find someone who is actually a decent person.

I can absolutely assure you, with 100% certainty, that there is someone way better than he is.

But if you want to continue to be suckered... nobody can stop you. But please don't waste people's time asking us what to do, telling us how awful he is, and in the next breath, telling us he's perfect. There are a lot of folks here who are genuinely looking for assistance.

itsuka likes this.
  18. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, he's never been physically abusive at all. I met that bloke when I was studying at University. At that time we lived in the same dorm. At that moment I wasn't out at all and I guess he wasn't either. I'm not sure. He has not been manipulative. I guess that his behaviour was due to a lack of courage. I kind of messed it up as well, since I was too obvious and he might have felt uncomfortable. As a result, he said some homophobic jokes and I had the impression that he was upset at me.

I mean, he's not a god. He's just the most wonderful person I've ever met. He's handsome as hell and I know he has a diamond heart. His offenses are minor. I've already been blunt and I've tell him that I'm in love with him and how I feel. Now, it's up to him to make the next step. As I said nobody has done so many things for me. I was a very shy person and he has destroyed that wall.

I'm interested in him because my love for him is sincere. He's a bit mischievous, but he's not evil.

I know what I deserve and, honestly, I couldn't find a better person for me. I guess that when I wrote my post I was a bit angry and maybe I overreacted but, as I said, he likes to play really harsh. I mean he does it just to get me out of my comfort zone.

#18 BlueLion, Mar 9, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  19. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess you're right, Chip. As I said, I probably overreacted. And I can absolutely assure you, with 200% certainty that there is no one better than he is.

Excuse me for writing this post. I really needed to vent and to be helped. And your piece of advice has been very helpful for me.

Thank you so much! And sorry for the incovenience. :slight_smile:

20. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Again,
    That is complete bullshit.

But if you want to stay with a psychopath who will eventually destroy your self esteem... so be it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.