1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can using LGBTQ flag in Messenger mean the person is gay?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by seekf2, Oct 6, 2021.

1. seekf2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey,

I have seen a cute boy that had the Messenger like button set to the LGBTQ flag with someone. I couldn't see more, just the flag. Can that mean that he is gay?

How could I find it out? Would that be awkward to bring up that last time I saw that (or if I will see it again)? And how should I approach the question? I barely know him, we have spoken only once - but it was fun. Also, I am not out to anyone, and live in a more conservative country.

Thank you for the help!

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If somebody has a rainbow button, then they probably aren't straight - I can't think of much else rainbows symbolize. At the very least I'd assume somebody with rainbow stuff would be supportive of LGBT things :slight_smile:

If you see him with it again, you could always tell him you like it and ask what it is, what it symbolizes or where he got it. That gives him an opportunity to come out as he answers your question or to be vague about it, and you aren't putting him in an situation where he *has to* come out or lie about his sexuality.

If for some reason he doesn't have it next time, it would be harder to bring it up without it being awkward :slight_smile:

seekf2 and BiGemini87 like this.
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. While occasionally you'll see an ally do that, most often it's a sign that the person is a part of the LGBT community.

seekf2 and BiGemini87 like this.
  4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    seekf2.....It takes a special effort to change that button to display the LGBTQ Flag so you know that it wasn't done by accident. The odds are very high that he is gay. If he happens to be an ally and you approach him about possibly being gay, he's not going to be offended. If he is gay then you will have made contact with him and since he put the button there on purpose I don't think he'll be offend that you picked up on it! So just go ahead and ask about the button and see what kind of response that you get...this could be the start of a good friendship or.....more!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

5. Lemony

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean who knows maybe he’s not gay but bi or something?