1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi everyone

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by ColwynGay, Aug 21, 2019.

1. ColwynGay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    :blush: Greetings one and all. My name is Steven and I'm at an interesting point in my life. I'm a UK Citizen who has recently moved to Ireland (like 8 weeks ago). I didn't know anyone here when I got off the boat and it's been a tough couple of months finding work and a place to live. For the first time in maybe a year or two though I feel happier. I feel my life is going somewhere. But I still have this little secret that I've been carrying around since I was a younger man. I guess I was a late developer and took a while to really figure myself out. It took me a good long while to accept that I was gay. But I can honestly say today that I've completely accepted myself as I truly am. No guilt or shame is present. However, in the past few weeks I find myself wondering if I should come out to my family or not. I did pluck up the courage to tell a couple of the girls at work (my former job) that I'm sexually attracted to males primarily and both occasions were good experiences. They were very kind and tolerant.
    My parents are old now and not in the best of health. They are also of that generation that is a somewhat more conservative minded. I have gone back and forth in my head wondering if it is worth coming out now so late in the day (I'm pushing 40). I truly believe that they would be supportive as would my two brothers and sister-in-law if I told them. But still I am reluctant.
    I haven't had many relationships in my life. Those that I have had (with both women and men) have been short lived. I did fall head of heels with my former boyfriend two years ago but circumstances meant we couldn't be together. However, we are still on really good terms and I think we could rekindle something in the future with a bit of luck.
    I've never really spoken about this stuff with anyone and really want to reach out and talk and listen to others.
    Hope everyone is having a lovely evening and best wishes to all.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Welcome to the community. In so many ways you have already overcome the hardest part: accepting yourself. It's great that you have come to the point where you are considering whether to come out to your parents/family and are weighing your options as it were. It would definitely be worthwhile to write out your feelings and thoughts to see what some other members have done in similar situations. :slight_smile:

3. ColwynGay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the kind words Mirko :slight_smile: Appreciate it. Look forward to speaking with people in this community.