1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you need to be drunk to have a good time?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Devil Dave, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't.

I do enjoy drinking alcohol, especially rum. I've never liked beer. I like red wine, but preferably with a meal, I don't like just drinking wine on a night out.

But if I'm at a party or gathering with friends and we're just drinking and talking bollocks, I'm not actually enjoying myself. I prefer sober conversation because it gets me thinking and processing. I like to think when I'm with people. I have a lot of activities that I do on my own and therefore I have a lot of thoughts I don't get off my chest, so when I do get a chance to be with other people, I want to know that they care about what I've got to say and that I've got their full attention, and we're not just talking crap while getting drunk. I sometimes have more fun at work than when I go out because I know I'm being listened to at work.

Unfortunately, a majority of gay guys do just want to get drunk and fondle each other. I think that's why I come to these forums, it's a rare gay environment where I can have a sober conversation.

2. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think anyone needs alcohol to have a good time, but many use it as a crutch to help them relax during socializing. Unfortunately there will always be people who take it too far and over-indulge and by doing so, end up saying and/or doing things their sober selves will regret...

3. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like a couple of drinks to relax the nerves.....it depends what you want. If I'm having a shit time in life, getting drunk is ok....if I want meaningful conversation or sex alcohol kills it for me.....I like to be in control of meaningful conversations and my love life that's currently on zero......

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like beer, especially what we call here cervejas artesanais (not sure if it is like artesanal beer or craft beer in English). They are usually more expensive, so it's not something most people can drink a lot, even if you want, but they usually have an unique taste and different ingredients. They taste better, usually, so it's something I like to buy every now and then, when i have the spare money, to enjoy the taste, usually with a nice meal or snack. I also like wine, which falls into the same thing - It's something expensive, so you I don't buy it to "get drunk", but i enjoy the taste ocasionally.

So, in these situations, I am having a good time, but not because i'm drunk or because of alcohol. The beer or wine is part of it, but there is also a good meal, good music, and a nice conversation.

However, i'm digressing, since the theme here is getting drunk, which is an entirely different thing. In resume, I agree with you and Ruby Dragon - you don't need alcohol to have fun, and if you think you do, then it is a good idea to review your concept of "fun" and what are you expecting from the activity you are taking part in. Obviously it isn't healthy to drink a lot, but worrying about your body is just part of the problem.

I'm not proud to say I have drunk a lot in my past. I had a boyfriend who enjoyed parties, and he was the type of person who bothers you if you stop drinking. "Drink more! Why are you leaving me to drink alone? I want you to drink more!". I'm glad I broke up with him. I know many people drink a lot because of social pressure, so it is also important to check if your company is being harmful to you or not.

But I can't blame him for everything. I have also drunk a lot with my friends - not because they forced me to (they didn't), but because I wanted to. And this created many stories which, during that time, I thought of as "funny drunk stories", but now they are just... sad in my opinion. Almost passing out, vomiting my insides out... That wasn't fun, that was simply stupid. I could have drunk much less, to enjoy the flavor of a drink with my friends, or simply enjoying their company without drinking anything. But many times, I was drinking just for the sake of drinking, like if their company equals that type of activity.

One time, I was with my friends and one of these "cases" happened. I felt like shit, and missed a lot of what my friends were doing (like playing cards, chatting and eating) because I was trying to recover. They had to give me a bath and then put me in bed. This was during the morning - I only rejoined the group in the start of the night. This was during a trip where we rented a house near a river here in the city.

During the night, I had a good conversation with one of my friends, which doesn't drink anymore. He does that because of religious reasons (his religion allows it, but a personal happening in his life made him decide that). We chatted about this theme we are talking about now: Drinking to have fun.

On that day, I decided I never wanted to feel like that again. I saw that alcohol was not helping me to have a good time - instead, it was destroying it, since i couldn't enjoy the company of my friends, the taste of the meal they were cooking and the jokes and conversation (most of them were drinking too, but a lot less than I did). So, today, I didn't stop drinking, like my friend did, but I don't drink like that anymore. When i drink today, I do because i'm enjoying the taste of the drink, like I would enjoy a can of a soft drink or any other beverage, occasionally. I don't buy lots of cheap alcohol for the purpose of getting drunk anymore.

The result? I have more fun now than I had before. Real fun, and not laying-on-the-floor-because-i'm-feeling-like-shit """""fun""""".

It wasn't my case, because, aside from me, my friends never drank too much. But i think lots of people (like my ex) drink because they are surrounded by uninteresting people, and alcohol makes it easier to socialize with these people. But... if you are surrounded by uninteresting people, in a uninteresting place... wouldn't it be best to find nice people, in a better place, instead of forcing yourself to use a drug (alcohol is a drug) to transform those people and that place in your head, in a lie that "everything is fine and everyone is nice"?

Like always, I think i digressed more than I helped with the discussion. But I hope my experience provides an opportunity of reflection about the subject. If you enjoy the occasional glass of wine or cup of beer, I think that's fine. But it is worth to think about why you are drinking, and if you are drinking because you want to, or if alcohol is becoming a necessity for you to have fun or feel good.

I would also like to remind everyone that I wasn't diagnosed as an alcoholic. In my point of view (from someone who doesn't understand about psychology and medicine), my problem was discipline and the things i expected from alcohol. There are many who would benefit from thinking about that, like i said above. However, in some cases, there is physical addiction, and stop drinking is much harder in those cases. If you suspect that may be your case, or the case of somebody you know, don't be afraid of seeking help. When you are addicted, seeking help is an essential part of the fight against your addiction, and there is nothing wrong in seeking professional help about it.

I also know that many of you, like me, are shy and anxious, and drink because it makes it easier to talk to people. However, by drinking, you are only putting a mask on the social difficulty, and possibly making it harder for you to create good and healthy connections with meaningful people. Therapy is what is truly helping me to overcome my social anxiety, and I recommend it to everyone.

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll have a drink or two if I'm at a bar or at a party where there's alcohol but that's about it for me. I think that's sort of one of the benefits of being a bit older--I don't really know many guys who drink to excess any more. The whole kegger party thing is sort of long in our pasts...

6. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know this might be slightly off topic but I worked in a hostel some yrs ago. I've met alcoholics, seen alcohol destroy relationships, people lose their children through alcohol, the kids put into care.....
    I also worked at a sight charity for 9 yrs and helped a alcoholic get disability benefit, he drank so much it made him nearly blind, two months later his ex wife phoned me to say his stomach exploded and he died......
    I like a drink but we should be careful, I'm not preaching, just talking from my work life....I literally saw everything in the hostel and it's given me life skills and knowledge....

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm happy to have a drink or two but I don't enjoy being drunk and I really don't like the process of sobering up either. Alcohol is a depressant (contrary to what some people believe) and that horrible depressant effect works very quickly in my case. If I have too much to drink my mood usually sinks and I won't be having a good time.

8. Lone Wolfe

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was tall at age 17, so I was the designated "beer buyer". I could get kegs without showing ID (things were different back then). So for sure, bring me along to a party because I can score the beer. I never was much of a beer drinker, mostly never took to the taste.

I remember "straight" guys (more likely closeted gays) who would drink at a party, then proceed to act as if they were drunk so they could lay their hands on another guy and get away with it. I was one who let them do this to me, mostly because they needed the experience. Nobody ever grabbed me down low, so it was no big deal. I got a kick out of finding out which ones were the closeted ones. It was plain to me, given that all of the guys did not do this, only certain ones. I thought it strange that those who did, were still accepted as straight the next morning. So in the straight world (at that time) it was completely acceptable for a guy to grab another guy as long as you pretended to be drunk.

9. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I definitely don't think you need it. I drink very little and I don't care for it. I only drink one or two mixed drinks and after a few sips I am done. I never got the fascination with alcohol. Most of it tastes bad to me.

10. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am allergic to alcohol, so no, I don't need to be drunk to have a good time. Instead being drunk is a miserable time, so I avoid it like the plague.

11. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel like it amplifies my mood. When I'm having a good time with friends, alcohol just makes me happy. At things like parties or clubs with people I don't know, I can be very drunk and still uncomfortable/anxious.

12. whistle1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Some people are socially awkward and feel that having a drink (or more) helps them relax and have a good time. It's not my place to say what's right or wrong for someone else. Personally, I don't NEED a drink, but I do enjoy once on occasion.

13. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From ages 21-26 I drank quite a bit, a lot of that had to do with the friends I had at the time.
    I still drink somewhat regularly but I don’t get drunk like I used to.

Like Destin was talking about, when hard alcohol starts tasting good, that’s when you know you’re really flippin drunk.
    Been there done that, too many times.

I’m honestly really glad those guys ditched me after I came out because I’d probably still be drinking with them.

YouTube video title
    Homophobia saved my life!?!(story time)

#13 Totesgaybrah, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  14. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like all of the points you've mentioned. Here in particular, I think you've touched on something important.

If you're telling someone to get drunk so you can have more fun with each other, then I believe you're basically devaluing them as a person.

You think the more sober they are, the less fun and interesting they are, so they need alcohol to bring their fun side out.

There are people I enjoy talking to stone cold sober - those are the people I want to surround myself with. It might make a nice change to see them a bit tipsy, perhaps, but I don't like the thought of seeing them completely wasted. If they are in that state, then I can't have a nice conversation with them because nothing I say will sink in, they won't be in the mood for conversation. It breaks the connection.

One time I went on a date with a guy, and I arrived at the pub quite early and ordered myself a sparkling water while I was waiting, and the first thing he said to me when he arrived was "why aren't you having a proper drink?" Well, we were meeting for lunch in the afternoon, so that's a bit early for me to be drinking alcohol, and I didn't want to appear like a sleazy old tramp who likes drinking throughout the day. But apparently, that's what he would have preferred.

I thought I would be making a good impression if I had soft drinks at first, and then if the date went well enough, we could have something stronger later, which is normally how I like a date to go. But no, he just wanted to get drunk and have sex. So I didn't have a second date with him.

15. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was reading through this thread and thinking. I have had a drink with most of my friends but I've never seen most of my friends drunk. It seems funny given that the largest grouping of my really long time friends (like over twenty years) originated as a group that sort of started as a group of around twenty guys who would hit the bars together. Over the years it evolved and changed but at heart they're my bar buddies--yet even in that group being sloppy drunk would get you kind of frozen out. It just wasn't interesting and in the end it just wasn't done...

16. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mean, going out for a drink is a perfectly fine way to get to know someone, it's not always easy to find common ground with new people, and everyone likes to eat and drink so asking someone to join you for a drink is a great way to break the ice. It's also not necessarily an expensive activity (depending on what sort of place you go to) offering to buy someone a drink is a nice easy gesture of being friendly, and it's an easy situation to get out of if things aren't going that well, so I'm in no way against the idea of someone asking me out for a drink, but there is certainly no need to get drunk. If someone appears to be getting bored of my sobriety, then alarm bells might start ringing.

17. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good post, I agree....

18. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you. :slight_smile: And I do agree with you. I'm sorry about your date, but it appears that you have handled it pretty well - I wouldn't want to go out with a guy like that for a second time.

I think that people need to respect others above all else. When it comes to alcohol, many people aren't satisfied to drink their own drinks, they need to pressure people around them to drink too, some being stubborn and insistent to the point of being jerks. I'm obviously not talking about someone who says "Do you want a drink? No? Are you sure, it's good! No? Oh, then ok.". I'm talking about people who never reach the "ok" point, and keep pestering others to drink too.

Anyway, like I said, I agree with you.

^

19. Noahand2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get drunk on occasion and if I'm with people I'm comfortable with, and I stay with someone so I dont drive. I Promise I'm a responsible adult lol. I will say I'm those ones that are fun giddy drunks. I will say it's fun if you know what drunk you are. but you dont necessarily have to drink to have a good time. As long as your with people who you have fun with.

20. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also agree with what you said about therapy:
    I sought therapy because I felt like I wasn't making the most of my social life because I wasn't being loud and silly like everyone else on a night out and I thought that meant there was something wrong with me. But my therapist basically helped me realise that I don't go out to be silly and make a tit of myself, I go out because I want to be around people and be part of something on my own terms, and she helped me find respect for myself and re-evaluate what I want from my social interactions.

I think some of the men I dated could really have benefited from the treatment I received.