1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flu/cold

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by DirectionNorth, Aug 31, 2018.

1. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does anyone have advice on what to do about a flu/cold? Gargling with warm salt water only relieves my throat for literally no more than 2 seconds, and it's miserable. I've been debating whether to go to the walkin clinic, but i'm certain the doctors will just say tough it out and suffer, i mean there needs to be medicine i can take to stop my running nose and to stop my body from aching, i can't work or do Anything like this. Tea helps some with my throat/nasal drip, but i can't sleep when i need to keep wiping my nose every 1 or 2 minutes.

I'm sorry for coming off as whiney and a baby, i just hate colds because it's so infuriating how long they last and stupid how debilitating they can be.

2. InbornGame

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So sorry you’re sick. I hate colds... and I have the absolute worst luck when it comes to catching them.

My go-to regimen when I get sick:
    1.) Tylenol or ibuprofen for fever or aches
    2.) Drink plenty of fluids—like lots of fluids. Whatever feels good on your throat.
    3.) Rest and wait (and head to the doctor if it’s been more than about 8 or 9 days)

In my experience, the over-the-counter cold medicines don’t help much (and they make me feel weird). I know that’s probably not super helpful...maybe someday somebody will come up with a miracle cold-crushing medication (fingers crossed). Hang in there, and I hope you feel better soon!

DirectionNorth likes this.
  3. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much!! Yeah, I guess I'll have to stick to ibuprofen or tylenol and experiment with which drinks i can manage, because most hurt when i drink. So, i'll try different drinks and might have to stick to tea if all else hurts.

Ikr?? I have no clue why they haven't tried harder to find a more efficient solution, i guess to keep the over-the-counter, usually crap, medicines selling. But yeah, the throat lozenges usually make things worse and i was advised once to use nonsugar hard candies to not dry your throat out, the way the medical ones do. Not to mention, the regular medicine does the same to me, i feel like my muscles just work like jello afterwards and my head is weird.

Thank you for the advice!! It's good to hear from someone who isn't just "whatever, it's a cold, no different than a papercut!"