1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are people uncaring in your dreams?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is an odd trend that occurs in my dreams, and that is everyone I talk to seems sociopathic and depressed. Even in otherwise positive dreams, people that I know in day to day life often act out of character. Although there are a few instances where people do act like they typically do in real life in my dreams, they often don't.

An example of other people not caring/ possibly sociopathic behaviour in my dreams:

"My friend...they died".

"Yes but you still haven't cleaned this room".

"Do you not care that my friend just freaking died?".

"If it's not to do with the cleaning of this room, then no".

Perhaps this is partly why I often remember my dreams so much, because the way people act in them is so jarringly different than how they would actually react.

Example of depression:

"Quick, I can save you, the town is in danger!"

"What's the point? I never liked this place and neither did anyone else here, leave us to die".

The more positive dreams I have usually involve either fictional people, animals, or just walking around alone. Dreams involving real life people that I know closely are usually at least slightly unpleasant.

Anyone else get this? :/

#1 Canterpiece, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never heard of that before, it's quite interesting! People in my dreams also behave out of character at times, but that's because I can almost always "rewind" parts of my dream that I don't like and change them accordingly. As a result I can "make" people do things that they normally wouldn't do. This might sound like fun, but it can also totally destroy an otherwise nice dream..

For instance, I might suggest to people to go somewhere and essentially rewind it several times to get what I want. However, for some reason the people then end up as "empty husks".. They then do not initiate things out of themselves anymore. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Is the way the people in your dream react related to how you think (or would like to think) about certain situations? For me, dreams tend to be influenced by experiences I've had recently or by things I want to do. It's definitely not always the case, but sometimes it is.

3. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't have dreams usually. No idea why, I can only remember 2 dreams from the last 15 years.

4. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

Maybe it's because most people these days actually are sociopathic or depressed. Technology has exposed everything to everyone now. Getting desensitized is par for the course in this day and age.

If this is actual dialogue from your dreams it could mean you're giving too much of yourself away to people who don't appreciate it. Maybe look into asserting your boundaries/preferences a little more strongly in your day to day life. You can't be everything to everyone, all the time. Just my two cents.

#4 fadedstar, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2018
  5. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I also lucid dream sometimes. It varies. However, when I lucid dream I tend to give myself abilities that I wouldn't otherwise have or act in way that may be considered out of character in terms of how others and myself perceive me to be, rather than control other people in my dream.

For instance, I once had a nightmare where a possessed doll was chasing me and I realised it wasn't real so I turned around and magically set it on fire. It's understandable that I had this nightmare because personally I have a phobia of realistic looking dolls.

The uncanny valley and bad experiences play into this phobia. I'm also claustrophobic, so my nightmares frequently involve small spaces and being trapped.

According to my school teacher's notes, I've shown a dislike for crowds since I was four. So it's hardly a new thing, and unfortunately for me bullies picked up on it and used it against me, which made my claustrophobia and general discomfort with crowds much worse.

I tend to find it harder to control others in my dream, so usually I just control my actions and try to get the best outcome. Although characters from the stories I have written appear in my dreams, I tend not to feel as if I am controlling them because I have thought out their personalities with great detail so their interactions often feel natural rather than forced. Perhaps rather ironically these fictional people act more realistically than how the people I know in real life do in my dreams.

Hmm. I think these dreams might represent the more cynical, pessimistic, goal-orientated/ one track mind side of my personality.

The way people act in my dreams often reminds me of how I sometimes act whilst sleep-deprived or simply drained from too much social interaction. When I reach this level of tiredness it is not uncommon for me to lose any sort of tact and become irritated quickly at the slightest of things.

Usually at this point I remove myself from any conversations before I say anything I may later regret. If I try to stay in a conversation and control my emotions whilst in this mood, then I often fail and snap at whomever I am talking to. A part of me at this point is usually internally screaming "I need to leave, must rest, too much information, must go away and process".

Sometimes, people mistakenly think that I don't care about them. Whereas in truth, it's not that I don't care, rather I'm just not always the best at comforting people. There are times where I am just so overwhelmed by other's emotions that I seem to shut down, even when I want to help them. I have heard people refer to this as hyper-empathy before, and personally I believe that description to be accurate. Perhaps the comments people use in my dreams to avoid comforting me are a reflection of how I sometimes deflect emotional moments or fail to comfort others properly. It is not uncommon for me to get someone else to comfort someone because I feel awkward and/or second-guess myself in that situation or possibly get overwhelmed.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't say they're all uncaring, but I do often have people act out of character.