1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Me and my friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Yeahyeah2, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Yeahyeah2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, I wanted to ask for some advice.
    I have a friend who is far from where I live, we don’t know each other in person but we talk everyday. Since the beginning we had good conversations and we found out about each other that we are depressed.
    The thing is that lately I’ve been feeling that he is not that in the mood to talk and I think that we all have good days and bad days but having him so far away, I’m scared that he just gets bored of talking one day. I’m not saying that is happening, it’s just I get scared at times and I’d really like to meet him in person and be able to hang out.
    What can I do to show him that he is important and that I’d like to be friends for a long time, without overwhelming him or making him thinks I’m exaggerating?

2. mask1985

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The fact that you speak every day should tell him that he is important to you so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I know from personal experience and that of a friend that depression is really tough to handle, certainly without medication of some kind. Some days when you are down it is difficult to interact with anyone as you know. I'm sure he understands that if you offer your support with reassuring words that's what proper friends do. I have friends on here who I have never met but I would love to and someday maybe we all will, but they all know I'm their friend and will do what I can to help them.

Is it really logistically impossible for you to meet, for example perhaps halfway somewhere [assuming that wouldn't be in the sea :slight_smile: ]

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should try to meet him, even if it might take a long time for your schedules to align. Also, you might consider trying to go for weekly or monthly messages. Yes, that sounds slower, but you won't feel pressure if you or he miss a few days. Finally, remember that this is not your only chance at friendship. Try to maintain or grow new friendships, especially with local people, so you don't feel so anxious about losing any one person.

4. Yeahyeah2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What do you mean by that?

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Daily messaging means spending a lot of time thinking about each other, which could increase anxiety if you don't get a reply quickly.