1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Veterinarians or Vet Students here?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by taken, Nov 5, 2017.

1. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are there any other veterinarians or vet students in here? I'm currently a 2nd year vet student and have been a vet tech for 7 years prior to starting vet school. Just curious how being LGBT has affected your career and how you deal with the stress and maintain mental health in such a demanding career?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not, but I'll bump your thread for you :slight_smile:. I'm in a biology program and every semester I have a few class with the zoology kids. I know a handle of LGB zoology/biomed people that want to go on to professional school.

3. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, there seems to be 1 or 2 LGBT students in each of our classes. Most people in school are accepting, and professors don't really get into your personal life too much. But once you're out in practice and people learn about your personal life things can change (especially here in the south). Not to mention the already high rate of suicide in the veterinary profession. It helps to talk to others who are in the same boat sometimes.

4. WolfDane

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My boyfriend is a vet student and he never hides the fact that he's gay (he talks about me sometimes, because I'm a dog trainer). He told me he does feel some tension with a few classmates, but he's got good friends there too.