I graduated high school last June and now i'm stuck.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Umberson379, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Umberson379

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well you see i finished high school and i don't know what i need to do to get stuff i need done to be on my own. I need a drivers licence, a mode of transportation and a job right now. Also i have been diagnosed with ADHD and Bi-polar/ depression in the past and am currently dealing with a disability program that's supposed to help me get the job i want. After working with these people and going to a couple of meetings with a advocate not only have i been told that i'm not cut out for college and trade school but before the most recent meeting i was unknowingly tested academically in a career assessment to basically " see if i was smart enough for them to help me pay for college". And i really don't think they want to help.

After my career assessment the last two meetings with the program advocate went nowhere. I was asked the same question again and again about what do i want to do career/job wise to which i replied i don't know what fields would take me right now with my current ability's nor am i sure about what i want to do. Now i don't mind working hard to do the best i can as long as i get paid but again transportation is also a big issue. I live a looong ways from the closest bus stop and even if i could get a job i would probably lose it simply because i cant get from point A(Home) to point B(Job) fast enough.

Finally i'll say that live with my 70+ great grandmother at the moment who i love very much but if i can't do something soon if something were to happen to her now i would be on the streets. I need a job to get on my own feet and get my own place but i have no idea how to do so given my current issues.

#1 Umberson379, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  2. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you are dealing with some serious problems. What sort of disability are you on? If you are unable to deal with a lot of day to day things, there is disability that will pay for monthly assistance. It isn't a lot, but it would buy you time in trying to find something that fits job-wise. I'd talk to case worker or therapist about seeing what other assistance you can receive. Unless, you feel that you are capable to hold down a job. Maybe finding an online job would be good? That way you don't have to commute. That said, I can't remember what agency posts online jobs, but I'm sure you can find one.

3. Umberson379

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah thanks for the advice i will certainly try to consult with alternative sources of assistance. I am confidant that i can get a job and keep it however transportation is also a issue aside from me not knowing what i want to do as a job. Also what do you mean by "there is disability that will pay for monthly assistance." cause i have been diagnosed with Bi-polar, ADHD in the past and suffered for it however i have been able to cope with it much better than before, so much so that i don't need medication anymore. Would i still be eligible.

4. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you are no longer in need of medication you probably won't qualify. I meant SSDI from Social Security, where they pay you a monthly allotment if you are unable to work because of your condition(s).

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to ask and find out for sure. Usually you have to have a doctor and therapist involved to vouch for you.