1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone help???

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BuggieBoo, Sep 4, 2017.

1. BuggieBoo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I go to a catholic all girls school. And I'm bi-. I'm scared that if I tell my friend that I'm bi- they will be grossed out or something. My father is boarderline homophobic (I'm serious, this isn't a joke), and my brother right there with him. I came out to my cousin, only because she is bi- as well, and she seems so open about it. I'm extremely confused right now. If anyone can give me some advice on how to deal with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I can understand your concern. Sometimes waiting to come out to homophobic parents is best, as hard as it can be if you think telling them will put you in any kind of danger it is often best not too. As for your friend, maybe you can bring up some LGBT subjects and see how she reacts, so that you have a better idea of how she would react if you came out to her. I am glad you have your cousin for support.

BuggieBoo likes this.
  3. Laughsalot

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do your father and brother know that your cousin is bi? If so, how is the relationship between them?

4. BuggieBoo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes. They know that she is bi-, but they don't believe her. They think that she is to young to know her sexuality, her and I are the same age.

5. StarRunner

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I grew up with a homophobic father, so I know the fear of him finding out. I don't see anything that would be beneficial coming out to your family at this point. It may just make things worse.

If you are afraid to tell your friends you're bi, then you need to evaluate if these are healthy friendships. Perhaps you need to connect with more people who will accept you for being who you are.

I've always said that 'family' is the people who support you and accept you in such a way that you don't have to hide your identity. Family is defined by people who love you for who you are and that is not necessarily your blood relatives.

Perhaps a good step would be to connect with the resources in St.Louis that offer support and encouragement to the LGBTQ community in your area. They can connect you with people who are going through the ssme thing or have survived similar problems. In the meantime, continue getting and giving support to your cousin. At least you have someone who understands. That is important.

http://libguides.wustl.edu/c.php?g=47545&p=769169

It's terrible living in a homophobic environment. It makes you feel claustrophobic at a time you should be spreading your wings. Remember that you are not alone and that there are people out there who do care.

SquareBiz likes this.
  6. BuggieBoo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you so much!

7. Loves books

I went to a catholic girls school ( in Ireland the majority of schools are Catholic and single sex). In my school calling someone a lesbian was the worst insult you could give them. My imaginary boyfriend came in handy as to why I didn't date any local boys. My dad is an everything phobic. He hates everyone who's different so far in one sentence he managed to be racist,xenophobic,homophobic and islamaphobic. He and Donald Trump would love each other. He doesn't know I'm gay and I wouldn't tell him until my wedding day. Maybe not even then he won't be invited either way. The only concern with telling your friend is will they tell someone else?