1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does heterophobia actually exist?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Devil Dave, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, for a start, there is a red line appearing underneath heterophobia and not homophobia, so apparently the word doesn't exist in our dictionaries. Yet.

I notice that sometimes people accuse others of being heterophobes simply for standing against homophobia. If there is such a thing as heterophobia, then surely it can't simply be the act of standing up to a homophobe. There are straight people who are against homophobia, and they obviously aren't against their own sexuality. Just as there are white people who are against racism, that does not mean they hate their own skin colour.

Surely heterophobia would mean being disgusted by the thought of a man and woman being together. Since we all have parents, then very few of us are going to be against heterosexuality. I don't like the thought of being with a woman myself, but that doesn't mean I hate the thought of other people in heterosexual relationships. And I certainly don't hate women.

Also, there are many words used to insult homosexuals: poof, faggot, queer, bender, ass-bandit, fudge-packer etc. for gay men, and dyke, muff-diver, rug-muncher etc. for the lesbians. What words have gay people invented to insult straight people?

Maybe heterophobia does exist, in other forms that I'm not aware of, but I do think the term gets used incorrectly. Just thought it might be worth discussing.

2. Shayne16

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, it does exist but it's not as prominent as homophobia. I can't say I know anyone personally who is heterophobic, but I'm positive heterophobes aren't as mean as homophobes.

3. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it must be people who had just been hurt by straight people, either from bad comments, etc about sexuality or being against gays. But, I'm not sure if there are people who are true heterophobes, in the literal sense of the word. In my case, I try to go to lgbt-friendly doctors because I hate that alot of straight doctors always assume I'm straight, or go as far as my last GP who started saying subtle and not-so-subtle homophobic things. But I don't hate people for just being straight or that they have that preference, and know very well that not all straight people do or say homophobic things, a good deal are allies and greatly supportive and accepting. I'm just annoyed by the heteros who are homophobic or(not only ignorant, but) choose to stay ignorant and insist on believing misconceptions(the ones that do, I mean.) I can imagine that the ones who are heterophobic, that's probably how alot of gay people would be affected by hetetos, but I don't see why people would hate straight people just for being straight. There could be some out there, but I think it would mainly just stem from having personal experiences like mine.

But I hadn't really thought too much on the matter, this is an interesting thing to bring up though to get more clarity and discussion on it. I'm sure my thoughts will evolve and shift on this the more I hear, I just wanted to say that's what my thoughts are as of this moment.

#3 DirectionNorth, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Devil Dave likes this.
  4. Destroyed

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heterophobia doesnt exist. Homophobia is prejudice against gay people and ill treatment in public or even in institutions, in its brutal form it bruises,beats and even kills.

Heterophobia would begin to exist, when lgbt are equal and can begin to exert prejudice against straight people in all aspects of media,family kicking out lgbt kids,in public,institutions and begin violently attacking heteros in law and in person.

5. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. Yeah, if heterophobia does exist, it's nowhere near as prominent or damaging than homophobia. More likely it would be seen as an aggressive reaction towards homophobic attacks that have occurred in the first place.

Do the words "straight" and "hetero" get used as insults as frequently as the words "gay" and "homo" ?

Are there religions that teach people that heterosexuality is wrong?

Do heterophobic parents disown children that aren't gay?

Have heterosexuals been killed in heterophobic attacks, or been driven to commit suicide as a result of heterophobic bullying?

I doubt we'll ever see things get to that state.

6. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With all the queers being murdered in the world.
    With all the queers being oppressed in the world.
    With all the queers being beaten bloody in the world.
    With all the queers being told they are less than their fellow man in the world.

Do not concern yourself with 'heterophobia'.

gravechild likes this.
  7. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People that hate heterosexuals do exist.

But heterophobia isn't really a true form of social oppression like homophobia is. Straight people can get their feelings hurt if gays don't like them, but they're not going to lose their job, lose marriage rights, be prevented from having kids, be disowned, be corrective raped (purely for sexuality reasons), be murdered and so on....just for being heterosexual.

gravechild, signmypapyrus and dudette like this.
  8. dudette

There are some people who really dislike heterosexuals, I have met them :frowning2:
    I agree with Creativemind, but at the same time I have to add that heterophobia is more complicated. When I am pretending to be straight around LGBT, I have noticed that some LGBTs really tend to just say mean things, or just simply ignorant like if I was talking to a straights who are really homophobic :frowning2:
    btw just because heterophobia is less damaging, it doesn't mean that LGBT community is supposed to support it :frowning2:

#8 dudette, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  9. signmypapyrus

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No.

As mentioned above, have heterosexuals been oppressed? Yes, heterosexuals can be disliked and are, but have they lost rights, or historically been institutionalized, criminalized, and so forth? No. This really plays into author and lesbian activist Sarah Schulman's claims that the oppressor has a desire for victimization in order to continue to oppress someone who really is oppressed. Of course, Schulman states the key is resiliency rather than the oppressed continuing to be victimized, but again, historically who has been traumatized? Homosexuals, lesbians, queers, especially queers of color, disabled queers, and so forth. Heterosexuals just don't like being disliked.

DirectionNorth likes this.
  10. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Who on here said we support it? Must've missed that because didn't think anyone said that. Just because people can understand why some would be, given what alot of straight people have done to gays (I believe it's straight people who do corrective rape, I believe it's straight people who push conversion therapy, I believe it's straight people who literally throw their kids out to fend for themselves just because he/she/they came out or were found out, not to mention i believe it's straight people who murder someone just because they're gay, I believe it's straight people in Chechnya who are abducting gays or suspected gays and torturing/killing them. So, I can see how some lgbt would be sore.) But, it could just be I've never met one and there could be some out there, but at least I've never met or heard of lgbt being phobic of people for just having straight preferences, the way gay people are persecuted just for the sole purpose of having same-sex attraction. The straight people I'm annoyed at(and not every straight person is or does this) are the ones who are homophobes and do the things I listed above. I don't hate straight people in general for just being straight or, if I know someone straight, I don't go 'ew, they must like the opposite sex, huh'

I agree with signmypapyrus 100%.

Sorry, I know that got heated and was worded alot more harshly than it needed to be- I just read again about the thing in Russia and that really boils me and affected my mood. But I hope, at least, the point I'm trying to convey came through and didn't just sound like a madman's rant.

11. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have seen that a lot of gay men can be quite harsh to other gay men who describe themselves as straight-acting or discreet. It's often seen as internalized homophobia. I do think this is another subject that needs to be discussed, because it's not up to us how other gay men express their sexuality - people who are in the closet have their personal reasons and should be respected, not shunned as internalized homophobes.

12. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going to disagree with you in light of two Chicago area gay murderers, Richard Speck and John Wayne Gacy, proving heterophobia is indeed "A Thing" long before these labels of phobia were even in common use.
    If you do not know who these guys were google them but be warned, their tales are both chilling and disturbing.

13. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What basis do you have for associating either of those cases with heterophobia? Both of them were profoundly disturbed gay men but beyond that I don't see the association. If anything they both seem in retrospect to have been profoundly homophobic.

gravechild and Destroyed like this.
  14. Destroyed

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just dont get it, as clearly those people you just gave me.
    1) raped female nurses
    2) the other was a psychopathic murderer and rapist with daddy issues.

Non aligned with heterophobia in culture, media and institutions, nor violent acceptable peer pressure bullying of heteros ,beating up of hetero kids cause they are pansies and discriminatory laws against heteros.

With your logic, if those psychopaths ended up killing a closeted bi, closet gay woman or closet gay and bi man. What are they? As the above post said, it looked more homophobic inspired for the male rapist and murderer, due to his dad bullying him since childhood, his coping mechanism with his sexuality was to find a way to fulfil his true sexual desires(through rape) but felt overwhelming shame after(due to his dad) so killed his victims.

#14 Destroyed, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  15. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One (Gacy) killed (Mostly as far as can be determined) straight boys after abusing them sexually so was he really ashamed of himself or was he acting on on hate filled rampage towards his victims whom he could only have through unwanted submission to his will and the other (Speck) mass killed after a lifetime of acting out and criminalizing against victims who associated themselves in straight society after losing the one male in his life that represented positivity to him.
    It's easy to claim these were inwardly homophobic because they---,,, when the reality of psychological impulses dictates an aggressive violent reaction to what they hated most and that would be manifest in attacks geared specifically towards known homosexuals.

#15 JaimeGaye, Aug 26, 2017
  16. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Things like racism, sexism, ageism, and homophobia are types of prejuices. A prejudice isn't defined by how it impact others but the fact that someone has preconvieved feelings/thoughts.

People are prejudice against the gay community for different reasons so discrimination manifests in different ways, but how discrimination manifests doesn't make something a prejudice or not.

It's entirely possible for anyone to hold a prejudice against any group or person. It might not have it's own terminology, it might not be widespread, it might not have much impact but it's still prejudice.

#16 Cinnamon Bunny, Aug 26, 2017
    gravechild likes this.
  17. Destroyed

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gacy came from a homophobic dad, thats a bully, that never gave up bullying him to his adulthood. Did you expect him to be comfortable going to gay areas,or meet gay guys for sex, when he was even a politician and still faced his controlling dads bullying? And not forgetting the time period? So str8t men were the easy targets for his mental illness degradation, which unleashed his psychopathy from nurture and he worked on his desires but with shame that led him to killing his victims.

On Speck, he comes out as a psychopathic sexually fluid guy. Especially for that time period, he barely knew, sexuality much as we do today, the hetero part of his life is blanked out due to his being a bottom. I mean, his raping women was a psychopathic mess based on his own confessions but he even didnt link it to his sexuality. He only came to realise he equally liked men, when he was in prison with men only.

The homophobic society at the time, began defining him on homophobic thinking that cause he was bi and enjoyed bottoming, he was suddenly 100%gay, just killing women cause he was jealous, they got more D to take them. I mean really? Your still not seeing the homophobia.
    Even with your argument, homophobia made them.
    Also at the end of the day, they were mentally damaged by homophobia, the same thing happening to lgbt people daily and its terrible. Do heteros have evil experiences each day from gays to have homophobia?(homophobia is irrational fear and hatred without a reason, meaning heterophobia would be that. ) Your hard fixing heterophobia,in a world that truly doesnt support your argument. As i said a utopian world without homophobia and with more powerful gays in places of political power, with changed abrahamic religious texts, thats say gay is good, hetero unnatural,and media where they say hetero is bad, that hetero is some satanic person, a danger to be seen with, then you go psychotic on and beat up or treat so badly and unequally in relationships, friendships etc cause you will be seen to be hetero also and society will see you less than, your parents and friends or workplace will ostracize you. Then it would give authenticity to your argument.Your argument of heterophobia is based on some sad situations of psychopaths that had horrible experiences, so did crude things. We have heteros who do the same to each other but arent classified as phobic. Rather, psychopaths whom are looking for ways to cope with their past traumas to get power as you said, so is the same with the two guys, their experience led to there crazy. So we cant say irrational fear from nowhere, that they never met or talked to any single hetero person. They were just guys who through bad experiences became mentally unwell, looking for ways to cope with reality. A horrible way at it.

18. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope, still not seeing the argument that only homophobia is real and heterophobia is a myth created as another hate mechanism geared towards gays while still remaining convinced that heterophobia is real with your argument not working against but adding to the creedence of my opinion.
    'Gacy's father was a homophobic bully who cajoled him well into adulthood,,,' Geez that wouldn't make a gay man heterophobic now would it?
    'Speck didn't realize his sexuality until his incarceration,,,' Never before has there been an angry closeted gay man on planet earth who lashed out at women in hate and frustration in his adult years for the way dear old remarried to a complete bastard Mom and her alcohol fueled male partner treated him well into his formative years and who never had the opportunity to express himself to a supportive person who might have seen him through this very dysfunctional period in his life, nope, that's never happened before indeed.
    Heterophobia is real and the manifestation can be just as ugly as homophobia.
    Stop being the victim.

19. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I believe in heterophobia in the same way that I know there are people out there who are irrationally afraid of butterflies. I'm sure it's true and I'm pretty sure I read about someone like that once. But I've never met anyone like that and don't feel like it really affects me much.

baristajedi likes this.
  20. Destroyed

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow. So apparently they were definitely anti hetero to the point they discriminated all heteros in their lives. Cut them off, disowned them, rejected them,mocked them. Yeah he was totally hanging around full 100% lgbts, straight upright lgbt folks. Lol

Lastly a psychopath or sociopath has nothing to do with being hetero,gay,bi etc they are just individuals that are sadly mentally unwell, the cards are still out on the table as to their malady being genetically predisposed or its all nurture.

Whatever your going through, please dont excuse homophobia, by claiming heterophobia exists when your brothers in the middle east die, your lesbian sisters face corrective rape in south Africa. Etc
    Lgbtqa+ fight each day to be equal, right to live, to be happy, not to get arrested, not to face violence or bullying, to be respected, not to get fired, to not face depression or mental issues,to get equal opportunity. They never fought to take away anyones rights or to feel superior and belittle anyone. Respect that and to lump a psychopath, as hetrophobia existing. Is beyond maliscious and has ill intent. For where are the normal examples?

This whole argument, indicates your own internal struggles.

DirectionNorth likes this.