1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came Out Unwillingly to Family - BAD SITUATION

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by warrior452, Jul 10, 2017.

1. warrior452

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I don't know what to do --- in need of advice

I'm gay and possibly a little gender nonconforming - still figuring out what all that looks like. I'm a dude who likes makeup and other dudes :slight_smile:. I know I'm not trans.

I live with my family, and wore what I thought was light makeup to church, but it was too dark. My mom told me not to do it again, or there were going to be severe consequences and I might not be able to live at home anymore.

I wore foundation and concealer one day a few days later to work, and accidentally left pressed powder dust in the sink. She found out, and FREAKED. She went through all of my room, and found the bag where I had hidden all of my gay stuff. She threw away about $150-200 worth of makeup, a copy of Vogue, the Cher/Christina Aguilera movie "Burlesque," some Pride stuff, etc. All trivial things that could be replaced, but I was more angry over the concept than the things themselves (still kinda ticked off about her throwing all that makeup - there was some expensive stuff).

Anyways, she made me sit down with her and my dad and asks me point blank if I'm gay. I copped out and said I wasn't, but basically that I was an ally and all the pride stuff was because I was going with a friend to Pride. I made up some dumb excuse about needing makeup to cover my acne. Well, she went on about how disgusting it was. End of the conversation, I was told that I could either do what I knew was right, and preserve our family, or, I could follow what I wanted, wreck our whole family, and go to hell. I was told that if I accepted, agreed with, or in any way identified with the LGBT community, I would not be able to live at home or welcome in my parents home, and my family will not speak to me. I was told that I need accountability. My mom made me give her my Debit card and login info to my bank account. I am unable to use my computer upstairs. Not allowed to purchase anything that is remotely feminine. Told that I need to purge my online presence of anything remotely LGBT. I have to return to Bible college in the fall.

Fast forward to about two weeks later...my mom finally accepts the friend request I sent her over social media like 5 years ago, with the purpose of checking my account. She finds the like, 6 LGBT and allies I'm friends with on said site, and pulls me aside. She freaks out, and tells me I need to unfriend all of them, despite the fact that I have long standing, in-person relationships with most of them. She said that I have ruined my parents, that I have tarnished their reputation with me being/acting gay (she won't actually acknowledge me being gay) and that I have magnified her social anxiety, and now she won't talk to anyone. And it's all my fault. She said that I cared more about "perfect strangers" than my own family. All were upstanding members of the community and good people and solid friends. Nothing bad. I unfriended all of them, hurting two relationships in the process, and probably losing one. I lost the only LGBT people in my life, who often kept me anchored.

I don't know what. I'm not like horribly depressed. I have promised other friends that if I get depressed, I'll seek. But the constant stress of the threats and emotional manipulation, and not being able to come out is being rough on me. I just feel like I'm dragging all the time and my stomach is constantly upset (nothing diagnosed by a doctor). I'm told I just need to put up with it, but I don't know when enough is enough. I am not a horrible person, and I'm not breaking my family apart, and I guess I look at is as if - yeah, it would suck, but if me being myself breaks my family apart, then the issue isn't with me. I haven't even seriously contemplated dating, because the only people I fall for are straight boys who are out of my league and have no idea I exist.

Kinda down about the whole thing. I'm an adult, and I feel like I need to leave, but it will crush me to lose everything, and there's sooooo much emotional manipulation. "You've made me feel like I'm such a horrible parent, and I've failed because you've become gay." "You choosing these things breaks my heart."

Any help?

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey warrior452,

It really sounds like you just need to get out of there and live completely independently from your parents. I know that you said previously that you were going to build up some savings, but it sounds like day-to-day living with your parents has become completely intolerable. Why did you give your mom your Debit card? It's your account, right? If you can't get it back from her, why not go to your bank, report it lost and get a new one.

I find that truly ironic since SHE made YOUR sexuality all about her and the way that people will view her and 'the family' rather than caring more about you, a member of the very 'family' that she is claiming to defend.

bearhug1994 likes this.
  3. warrior452

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, Quantum - I know I've posted several times before, but this is the first time post coming out (of sorts). I gave her the card because I was told that I didn't have a choice and that if I didn't comply, that I was not going to be able to stay at home. It was basically to maintain peace. I could, but it would literally be WWIII. And I never know if she's just going to rant and let stuff go, or what time I'm going to push too hard, and that's going to be the end. It probably sounds like I have no backbone. I just honestly don't know what to do. There's still this weird balance thing that they need to work out - she believes that is totally in her right to do everything she has done. I am a child and she is disciplining me for my "poor choices," everything from money to who I love.

4. warrior452

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    She still claims to care very much, but I agree. It's kind of like, "We've been so good to you - we've given you everything and loved you the best we could, and so now, if you feel this way, in return you will bury this and speak of it to no one, because we don't deserve to have to deal with this. Not after everything we've done."

5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey warrior452,

Well, you've made it clear that you feel powerless at home, so where are you in your preparations to move out?

And incidentally, since she thinks she has the right to control your life, she clearly thinks she can control your money. You really should get that debit card canceled and get a new one before she drains your account.

#5 Quantumreality, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  6. warrior452

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah. I'm playing it by ear for the next few days. There are card uses on my bank account from after I gave her the cards, but I don't know if it's money she used or if they're old charges that just hadn't shown up on my account yet. I haven't used the card in two weeks.

I have started to put little bits of money to buy household necessities, and shop around for free and cheap furniture in the area that people are willing to get rid of. Right now all of the household stuff (dishes, bathroom, bedroom stuff) is all hidden in my car trunk where she can't find it. My friend will let me crash with him for a few days to get on my feet, and then his landlord will connect me with an open apartment, and his asking ballpark is well within my means.

BradThePug likes this.
  7. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll say it again. Cancel the Debit Card and get a new one. If she has been using it, she'll find out that it has been cancelled. You can honestly tell her that there were unrecognized charges to your account, so you cancelled the card. But then she needs to explain to you why she was using your Debit card in the first place. If she hasn't been using it, she won't have any reason to know that you cancelled it. (And you really should check out those new charges to make sure that there isn't some real fraud going on.)

So it sounds like you have a plan for moving out. That's very good. The sooner, the better. Don't you think?

Maybe when she sees you living on your own as an independent adult she will start to realize that you are no longer a child and she has no right to control your life or make your decisions for you.

8. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Move out and live your life. Your parents will hopefully get with the program after you move out. Since you still live with them they still feel like you are a child that they can control.

As parents they are expected to raise you and provide for you. They cant hold that over you in any way, or expect anything in return.
    The way I look at it is that we didnt ask to be born. We were brought into this world without our consent. We get one shot at life and its not worth living it if you cant be yourself.

9. Islanzadi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh gosh so many things wrong with this... First of all, your mom is the one breaking your family appart, not you! Also, taking your debit card is illegal since you're an adult, and if she's been using it, you should really get that card cancelled and change your online bank account login info (if you have one). If she's not using it she'll never notice. And on facebook, you can hide most of your activities to some specific people without them knowing. You can go to your mom's profile and select the option to put her as acquaintance (she won't know that) and in your settings you can select who can see your posts and you select "friends except acquaintances" so your mom won't see them.

I'm glad to see that you have a plan to move out, because I think that's what you need since your environment is so toxic...

Take care!

OrinocoFlow and Barbatus like this.
  10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would be sure to either cancel ore restrict that debit card before she catches wind of you moving out. If she is on your account, I would start a new one and transfer all of my money to the one that she is not on. You don't want her to have any access to your money, because she may pull it all out so that you cannot move. If she does do That, then you may have to take legal action and things could become messier.

11. KarenLyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm soooo sorry to hear that you are going through that. Throwing the "your breaking our family apart shit" really sucks and know for a fact that you are not the one doing the damage. I agree with the others, get your own account, your own life and if you want to wear makeup and be who you are.. then do it. Too many people feel that they owe their parents something or have to be subservient to them, that only flies for a while till you become your own person. Good luck, I'll light a candle for you!

12. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Warrior, sorry to hear that you are going through all this... I think your mom should read James Chapter 4 verse 12.

There comes a time when you will need to put distance between your mom and yourself in order to keep your sanity. If she continues to judge you it is her problem, one she will have to explain to God, not your problem.

Take Care Dean

Myclosetisfull likes this.
  13. EmH25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Leave, if you can, do not look back, she is wrong. You are just fine as you are, sorry but screw her, be free, be you, find that special someone, report that credit card stolen, get a new account if possible

14. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Parental oppression of my preferences was the reason that I legally emancipated from my parents house at the age of 16.

What are you afraid of 'losing' by moving out? As an adult, it sounds like it's time to move away and make your own life for yourself. If they can't handle you being happy, then that is not your problem.... it's theirs.

15. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been in this exact same situation. Ended up getting kicked out because I wouldn't go to a conversion camp.
    Please protect yourself. Right now the only way to do that is to leave. Your parents rejecting you hurts like hell and it will take time until it hurts a little less... but in the meantime you need to leave so you won't have to deal with their aggression day after day.
    They're the ones tearing the family apart, not you. They are destroying their family with their own hands. I lost my family. They, too, will never been the same. Hurting their own child like that and essentially removing you from the family over being gay will destroy them as well. They just don't know it yet.

Stay strong.