1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extremely lonely at times even when surrounded others

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by tyty32, Dec 29, 2016.

1. tyty32

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi everyone I'm brand new to this and really hope this helps. I've always struggled with being an introvert but lately my anxiety and depression have overcome me once again putting me in a unsettling place I feel lonely at work with friends and even around my family. I've been in really bad relationships that have caused me to lose faith in love I feel so empty and don't think I will ever fully recover. Every single person around me seems content in great relationships while I'm left completely broken. I'm able to pick myself back up for small periods of time but I always seem to end up right back in the same sad mind frame that this is and will be my life forever. Please help me to make sense of what I can do to get better.

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! You mention a lot of things in your post, so I'll give some thoughts on a few of them.

First off, if you feel like you're struggling with anxiety/depression, have you seen a counselor about it? That may help a lot, particularly if you're still carrying some baggage from past relationships (as you mention).

Also, just an idea, but you say you've "struggled with being an introvert" - generally, introversion and extroversion aren't things that people struggle with, but rather natural parts of their personalities or ways that they feel comfortable acting. You mention you've "always" felt this way - has it ever gotten worse or better at times?

Finally, it's easy to look at people in relationships and come to the conclusion that they must be happy and successful in life, but that's not always the case. I'm sure you've heard this before, but it bears repeating - being single and being "broken," or struggling with whatever issues, are not the same thing. If you're not comfortable dating at the moment, then by all means don't. :slight_smile: Perhaps after some time and some work you'll feel better about it in the future, and you can start back up then.

Feel free to write more - take care!

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being an introvert shouldn't be a struggle. It's a natural part of someone's personality and brain psychology. You might be confusing it with social anxiety and shyness, which can be changed with help.

What are you looking for in a relationship? There are ways to put yourself out there.

4. WarmEmbrace

If this is something that keeps repeating and is constantly bringing you down, take it seriously and don't be afraid of trying out psychotherapy, with a certified therapist to properly deal with it.

For me it has helped a lot. In retrospect online support and talking with friends was good, but no amount of it could have given me the kind of insights I've gained by going in therapy. :slight_smile:.

When you have climbed up in the tower of your mind you can gaze across the plains in the distance and feel something is off, but from atop the tower you cannot see what it is. In most cases it is some rotten bricks at the basement that compromise the edifice. Now unless somebody else ( topically the therapist) comes from outside, sees them, and shows them to you, you'll never figure out on your own that those are the source of the problem, and that's why the tower does not feel safe :slight_smile:. .

5. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same here dude. Honestly I wish you the best of luck.

The only thing I can say is, for me, staying busy helps. Keep your mind off things. Do you have a job? Try to get out and see people or do activities even if you have no motivation.