I thought I was a lesbian but I'm not so sure anymore

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ghostly, Nov 19, 2016.

1. ghostly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've identified as a lesbian for a while now, and there was a time when I was 100% sure of that, but now I'm not so sure. I know for a fact that I'm attracted to girls, but I can't seem to figure out how I feel about guys. Sometimes I get these crushes on male t.v characters, but they never last long and I think those crushes might be a result of compulsory heterosexuality, given the fact that those men are unattainable. Also, I often get intrusive sexual thoughts about guys in my real life. However, whenever I get these thoughts I'm really disgusted by them. But perhaps I get those thoughts because subconsciously I'm attracted to men? I don't know. I'm really confused.

2. Loveislife

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well... I think that if you're disgusted by these thoughts, you're not attracted to men. I've had the same experience. Do you find men sexually attractive at all?

3. seeking

Crushes on celebrates are just fantasy....it's pretty unrealistic and unlikely to happen.

I am not sure what you categories a crush as. To me having a crush on someone is sexual attraction and attraction to the character you perceive the person to be.

I think you have to make your decision based on your physical life and how you feel toward men/guys in your life not on tv shows.

You have time to figure it out.. you don't need to know the answer right now. Let time and life events point out who you really are.

There are male characters on tv shows that i think are great looking and has a great personality. But, actual Male celebrities I never got too interested in. I thought they were handsome and the personality they were portraying to people were great...but they never held my interest.

Wish I could give you better answers... I started questioning my sexuality when I was like 12 or 11...and it's now about 11 or 12 years later I am 100% confident in my sexuality. That came from just exploring my feelings constantly and allowing it to naturally play out.

Looking back when I was your age...There was no guys in my real life that I knew or who i passed by on the street that I had a real interest in. My interest was just like appreciating their talents or personality. But, beyond that nothing really.

Celebrities at your age that I was into I always thought they were very handsome...but I didn't get that craze fan with male celebrities like my female friends did. They would actually google the guys and just look at all their images while.. I did that really with female celebrities.

They would even just look up any handsome man and go through their images/profile. I never did that nor did I have any interest in doing so.

I think you shouldn't put too much meaning into thinking a male celebrity is cute and interesting. I still think you should let everything naturally progressed and then when you are ready to put a label on your sexuality put a label on it.

#3 seeking, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  4. KSatt

Only you can decide what label best fits you or if you need a label at all. Some people find comfort in a label or it fits them, while others don't need the structure of labels. It's totally up to you. I actually just recently found how I am most comfortable identifying. I realized I was part of the LGBTQ+ community later in life. I have only dated men but have felt little to no attraction to them. I thought this meant I was a lesbian, but there was definitely one guy I felt real attraction to, and I can't honestly rule out ever being attracted to a man again. However, I am most definitely almost exclusively attracted to women. Because of all that, it just feels more natural for me to just kind of generically identify as queer. It's totally up to you how you feel comfortable identifying.

5. Loveislife

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  6. ghostly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks guys. I think I probably am a lesbian.
    And I do have symptoms of a sexual obsession. Huh.