Do we ever stop coming out?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Green251, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Green251

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Same thinking as always, does coming out ever stop.
    Story:
    So there's this older lady at work. She's always being nice and waiting to have lunch at the same time as me. Well, my friend told me that today is her last day working. I was upset about it because I could talk to her about anything. And if you follow any past post, you'd understand. So the older lady told me I could trust her if I wanted to talk about anything. She then continued by adding that her brother is gay so nothing surprises her. Not the first time I've heard her say that.
    Fast forward a few hours... She was leaving work and I caught up with her. I said you want to know a secret. She was like yeah. I said you remember our conversation at lunch, I am what we talked about. She smiled and whispered in my ear, am I your type? I wonder if she all ready figured it out. I'm thinking yes. But it made me smile. I hate trying to be someone I'm not. Its too hard and tiring. The people I have came out to has been very nice about it. They have accepted me for who I am. I haven't ever told my parents but I don't see any reason to tell them. Unless I get divorced. But I don't see that happening.
    Anyway, she blew me a kiss and said goodbye. I yelled back . ... Better be careful!

2. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What a great and touching story - the older woman has gaydar!

Do we ever stop coming out? - Yes and no. For me coming out was done in waves. I came out to my therapist, wife and kids, my family of origin, friends, and then close acquaintances and coworkers. The idea of this ordering was that I wanted the most important people in my life to hear it from me.

At the moment I've come out to everyone that I intend to. I'm sure that I will come out to others in the future as they hear the news via the grapevine; as I meet new friends and coworkers; as old friends reach out to me; and as a challenge/response to homophobic remarks made by others (assuming that I feel safe in doing so).

#2 SiennaFire, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  3. 50ishandout

I think that there are always going to be situations where we "Come Out". The other night I was out having coffee with one of my closest friends who was one of the first people I Came Out to. Also another person we know who we haven't seen in a while was there. My friend was asking me about a trip I had taken to New York City this past Memorial Day. The trip was for a Gay Hockey Tournament.

I started to tell my friend about Gay Bar hopping and how at one point I actually became a regular at one place. The other guy had a quizzical look on his face. I realized he didn't know I was Out.

I then told him I Came Out last year. He just said ok and I went back to my story.

So the quick answer is we'll probably in some way always Come Out.

4. kypso

What a nice story!
    I think every time you come out to someone it feels like it all over again. Wondering of their reaction...