Men's rights (and feminism)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Invidia, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Lipstick Leuger

I completely agree with your post. I get sick and tired of some Feminists(or Fakinests as I call them)thinking that they are better than males, because that is not what the movement was suppost to be about. Sadly, the Patriarchy started with males being in charge, but now, it is SO entertwined within the culture that males are being caught up in what was at first to their advantage. This does not help our males these days, who have been raised by more liberal minded Mothers and they unfortunately feeling what it was like for women not 25 years ago. I remember the same crap that they speak of happening to women. This does not make it correct in any way, as this generation of males have absolutely no idea why they are feeling or being treated this way because they in and of themselves are not the ones who's fault it is. I truly believe we are making progress of a type. The only ones who can truly change things(besides Moms who raise strong and sensitive males) are the ones who were/are in power. If THEY complain, then things get done. Males must help with the movement or nothing will change in other words. I know people hate to hear the Privilege word, but it is like power.......With great Power comes great responsibility, same with privilege. You have it and you have to use it for good, or nothing changes. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 14th Mar 2016 at 03:22 PM ----------

I am not going to fight with you over it, as the OP asked this not happen. Besides, we have debated before on this subject, and we will never agree. This is all I will post to you directly on this.

I find that people, who have an issue with the word Patriarchy, are defensive for some reason instead of accepting it as a word. It is NOT for blaming males, is simply the word used for a male based power structure. In and of itself, European countries were set up on this principal, including religion. The framework has been so entwined within our culture, that males are ALSO getting sucked into it,(taste of their own medicine) and they don't like it very much, do they? It is not this generations males fault the system was put into place, but they must help fix it. I certainly will not call a gay man a straight one, no more than I will call the Partiarchy by some other word to make you, and misinformed others feel better. Attempting to cast the blame onto women because they use the proper wording, is just whining about it, instead of going out and attempting to change it. Patriarchy IS negative, for both males and females. My son is caught up in it and I resent the fact that your line of thinking perpetuates it. We need to work together and change things.

2. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure I agree with this. To me, "the patriarchy" is simply the name of the system at play here: the one that puts males in the "dominant" position in society, and thus also places the unfair expectations and pressures on them. Women contribute to the patriarchy too. So it isn't a matter of "blaming men" as much as it's an accurate label for the actual system, a system that can harm both women and men and one that women and men both contribute to.

3. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why do feminists need to talk about men's issues? If someone created a group to talk about Star Wars, I wouldn't expect them to feel obligated to also talk about Star Trek, just because there's some similarity there.

One of the reasons I completely gave up on all the feminist groups I used to belong to was that I was tired of how much the discussion was dominated by people arguing about how feminists should feel obligated to fight for their group's rights too.

Everyone has a limited amount of resources, varying interests, skills and pov and I don't think that everyone should feel obligated to fight for every cause under the sun in order for the things they are involved with to be valid.

It's not that I'm not interested in "men's rights" or in other things besides feminism, but when I'm in a feminist space, I don't think it's out of line for me to want to focus on women's issues. To me, that's the point of feminism to being with.

That's just my two cents.

#23 Rydia, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    ^this

---------- Post added 15th Mar 2016 at 07:58 AM ----------

Because feminism is the ideology of gender equality - its historical focus is on pushing for women's rights in society because that's where most of the sexism is. But it's about gender equality, so that meets men as well as non-binary people should be included as well. Feminism being only against discrimination of women would be like racism being only against the discrimination of black people, while in fact all ethnic groups (although to varying degrees, dependent on the cultural context etc.) face discrimination.

I mostly agree - one cannot fight every fight. But excluding men from the benefits of gender equality is distasteful and counter-productive in my opinion. Feminism needs men to fight for gender equality, as well, in my opinion, and should include pushing for the rights of men.

5. springroll

springroll Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think more people need to watch this video. It would be very remiss of me not to show it :slight_smile:
    [YOUTUBE]4sKBMcLzRHY[/YOUTUBE]

6. iiimee

You. I like you. Let's be friends. :kiss:

7. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would prefer to call it "genderism" rather than "sexism", and it definitely exists against all people only because people see a difference between men and women. In the country I founded, our government does not keep track of people's genders and sexes in order to remove government influence from the issue, only leaving a laissez-faire society to determine the future of genderism or sexism.