1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Myth of bisexualty

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Nickw, Feb 28, 2016.

1. WanderingMind

I sort of want to stop posting, but I find that I can't quite let go. To be clear, this post is in *no way* meant to relate to the original post. I'm still working on figuring out why the word "erasure" is such a big deal, because it seems to be, and in two very different ways. Let's consider looking at the word based only on what people in this thread have posted. It would seem to have two general interpretations...

1: Used to be dramatic, emotional, inaccurate. Overused and imprecise; an exaggeration. Ridiculous. Requires that the eraser recognizes that the thing they try to erase exists.

2: Used to indicate feelings; i.e., wound up, pressured to become invisible by taking on the identity of one side or the other depending on circumstances, wipes one side of me out of existence, treating something as if it doesn't exist, that someone took white out to the B in lbgt, disheartening, painful, misunderstood.

Personally, the second meaning reflects my experience more than the first. I agree with Chloe... "we need a better word for "making a thing go away by not seeing it." Until I find one, I will stick with the word I've found commonly used to represent the feeling I get when I'm...not seen. I'm pretty sure bi-invisibility isn't going to fly, either.

#41 WanderingMind, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  2. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Again. I am afraid I may have stuck my foot in this. When I mentioned that maybe the title of thread should be "erasure", I had no idea that this was a word that should be avoided in discussing LGBT issues. Frankly, until the last couple weeks, I have been uninterested in the whole "movement". I have lived my life trying to be as inclusive as I could with everyone I meet. But, I have never been one to wear anything on my sleeve.

That said, I probably need to clear the air with Siennafire. I hope he does not see my ardent response to my perceived attack on the existence of bisexuality as a response to his questioning of MY bisexuality in my initial post. I have no problem with someone getting to the meat of my issues with hard personal questions. I sort of needed it. I see him offer such amazing advice and understanding to so many here.

#42 Nickw, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  3. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm good. I see the two posts as totally separate.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with this. Because some people are choosing not to see it for how complex it is, and also because someone may feel the need to justify or affirm their own G or L status, their attitude would definitely be disrespectful. I'm sure most bisexual folks, especially if men, have heard, "Yeah, sure ... "

---------- Post added 1st Mar 2016 at 10:53 PM ----------

Exactly.

5. MaximusMike

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Personally, I've found the issue is less about being misrepresented, or being derided for being or saying I'm bi. I feel the issue is more about people not recognising there's more to sexuality than gay or straight. The amount of times I've heard same-sex marriage called gay marriage, or even the fact that it's the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras, not a more inclusive name shows that being recognised is still just as important as being respected.