1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling invalidated by others gender??

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by eliasjf, Jan 13, 2016.

1. eliasjf

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The title is a bit confusing cause this is a weird problem I have. I have no idea if its relatable.

Ok so, I'm ftm trans, basically known i wasnt a girl since i was really young but forced myself to be girly to fit in, because all my friends were girls. Started research about trans identities in 2013, and said i was genderfluid. Cycled through identities (genderfluid, agender, nonbinary, ftm, demiboy... etc) for like two years until midway through last year. Stepped back and realised I was forcing myself into being nonbinary rather than FtM. I now identify as male.

Basically, I know an abundance of trans people that I met at my new school last year. I know about 4 - all afab, three nb and one ftm. I'm cool with that, it's nice - but I know for a fact none of them experience dysphoria. I am fine with that, I don't mind what others peoples genders are, but at the same time I feel invalidated that these people are out as trans and don't have to go through the stuff I go through and I can't even come out.

I know that everyones gender is valid, but I can't help but feel like i need to ""win"" at being trans? If that makes sense?

Has anyone else felt this way? How should I deal with it :frowning2:

2. Noir

Sorry you're feeling so uneasy!! (*hug*) I think it's definitely understandable that you feel invalidated when your friends are so comfortable with who they are--although I'm really skeptical that none of them experience any dysphoria whatsoever. I'm sorry I don't have more advice on how to deal with this, but I really bet that if you talked to one of your non-cisgender friends about their experience, they can give you advice on:
    • if they used to have dysphoria
    • If they don't, how they try to think of themselves now to accept themselves fully
    • Tips on how you could handle these feelings, because dysphoria is suckish, no fun, and no one should have to deal with that

I'm not trans, but one of my closest friends who I was also roommates with for a year is ftm trans, and he feels dysphoria very often. He's very determined to "pass" as a guy, but he has homophobic/transphobic parents and doesn't have the money or resources to get testosterone like another of my trans friends was able to start doing this year. His parents are super conservative and would freak out if he came out, so he feels guilty for hiding something so important to who he is from a family who would never support him.

Again, sorry I can't give a lot of advice, but don't feel bad just because you're not at the same place in your journey as someone else is in theirs!(*hug*)

3. eliasjf

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Im skeptical of it too but thats what they said. They may not realise what feeligns are dysphoria !!

Thank you for the advice !(*hug*)