1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question to other 'tomboys' in re. to dysphoria-like feelings

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by waternation, Oct 13, 2015.

1. waternation

waternation Guest

Hi all :smilewave

I am just curious and wanted to ask if other tomboys (I guess that's what I am :confused:) experience dysphoria-like feelings when they take on a more 'feminine' gender expression, or conform to gender roles. I'm not talking about this sort of dysphoria in the same way as someone who is trans... I think... I mean more in that some things feel uncomfortable or wrong or... Well, I don't know how it is different exactly, only I think that it could not be the same, or as bad.

An example I can think of is wearing dresses. I feel really uncomfortable wearing them and disassociate immediately with the person in the mirror. In fact, this is why I don't (can't) wear them at all. But if I'm wearing guys or a mix of fairly unisex clothes I'm fine. And I am completely comfortable with being who I am. It seems like a bit of a paradox, dressed like a typical 'girl' it feels soooo weird. Dressed more androgynously I feel much more comfortable with my gender.

But the same goes for heels. Long hair. Noticeable make-up. 'Feminine' colours. These are all things that trigger a dissociation for me. Same with wearing a push up bra or the thought of having a less androgynous body. I also feel like I would be completely comfortable being a guy too. That's all pretty 'meh'.

Can anyone else relate to this???

Again, I really do not mean disphoria in the same way that trans people have it. I realise that must be a lot, lot worse, however I do want to know if anyone else feels similar to this too, and on a milder scale maybe this is still the right word... or the closest thing I can at least think of.

Basically, not dressing like a girl (or expectations of a girl...) isn't so much a preference of fashion or style or whatever, but it just innately feels wrong.

Thank you for reading, and taking the time if you reply (*hug*)

#1 waternation, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  2. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's a really interesting question. I'll get back to you on that! :slight_smile:

3. waternation

waternation Guest

Ahh, I was worried it might offend. But thanks^^

4. UniqueJourney

I have felt this way all my life.

Ironically, a traumatic period in my life made me aware that there is a more feminine aspect within me (that likes ruffles and lace, for example). I've tried exploring this a bit recently but it makes me very anxious. So I'm still sticking with an androgynous presentation.

---------- Post added 13th Oct 2015 at 07:14 AM ----------

Although I did indulge in a ruffley turquoise accent pillow for my couch. I feel much more comfortable adding little feminine touches to my home than I do changing my presentation.

#4 UniqueJourney, Oct 13, 2015
  5. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel much the same way. Have tried to "correct" those feelings by forcing myself to look feminine. It hasn't worked, only made me extremely insecure, uncomfortable and anxious. After more than a decade of repressing myself I've started dressing/presenting myself in a way that makes me feel more comfortable.

I think it can be a form of body dysmorphia which is different than gender dysphoria. I was completely obsessed as a youngster with my body looking wrong, had plastic surgery to correct it but it just made it worse so now i have to have that fixed too.

Stop Confusing Gender Dysphoria With Body Dysmorphia Already

#5 ebda30, Oct 13, 2015
  6. UniqueJourney

This is the first time I have heard of the term "body dysmorphia". I read some of the article, but I don't feel that is my issue.

7. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    I dont think that its alwaysthe case for everyone ho doesnt feel good intheir assigned genders stereotype. I know for me personally iprobably never should have been allowed to get plastic surgery, is i had some extreme obsession/disgust with my body because it was wrong. I dont think i have itanynorr as ive worked thru a lot but now i hate my plastic surgery and have to pay twice as much to have it removed.

I think feeling better dressing a certain way over another is just a matter of certain taste also, i love feeling more masculine but i dont hate my vagina or small figure(anymore)

#7 ebda30, Oct 13, 2015
  8. waternation

waternation Guest

Seconded, although it's not the first time I've come across the term. But I don't think it applies to me too, I've always had a pretty positive body image. It's more that feminine clothing feels like I'm cross-dressing or something, to a degree. It just doesn't feel right.

---------- Post added 14th Oct 2015 at 07:02 AM ----------

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your experience :icon_sad: that sounds so hard to go through...I hope things are better now.

And yeah, I can agree that it can also be a matter of taste... hmm, I wonder if that's all it is though. I'll think more on this. Thanks for responding. Hope you're well (*hug*)

9. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I can relate. I hate wearing dresses, I just feel really self concious about it and uncomfortable in them. I'm not a great fan of skirts either. I like wearing denim shorts though. I tend to feel the most comfortable in loose tops and shorts or flowy trousers/high waisted ones. I don't like wearing heels either. The highest heeled shoe I own is my sandals that have a slight wedge to them. I did wonder if I was a guy at one point, but then I realised that I identify more as a fabulous female, and an awesome one to. :grin: I'm also more comfortable with my body these days, so that's a plus. I still have the same style going on though, and I'd say I'm fairly androgynous but definitely identifiably female. And rocking it. :grin: :icon_wink

10. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    Waternation i have explained my feelings towards wearing/looking feminine ascross dressing as well. When i have long hair i feel like im not even looking atmyself in thr mirror, its very strange.

I used to avoid mirrors, or my reflection, pictures, etc. Since shaving most ofmy hair (usually keep short hair, jist never this short) and becoming more muscular i love my reflection and am excited to see changes.i appreciate your kindness, im okay now and realizing my genderqueerness has not had nearly the devastating effects as i thought it would.

Im very identifiable as female, didnt used to be but puberty does things as does surgery :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ithink even when igo back to being flat chested i will still just look like a girl with no tits, or a tomboy. Or "dyke", which is what i used to get called a lot.

Which is offensive to me, is dyke an overall offensive term?

#10 ebda30, Oct 13, 2015
  11. waternation

waternation Guest

Ahh, that's good to hear^^ And yeah, I totally feel the self-conscious/uncomfortableness thing. I wonder why that is, hey? I'm fine with people seeing me as female or andro or even a guy but I haaaaate wearing a dress in public. It's like wearing a costume.

Whoa, congrats on shaving off most of your hair :icon_bigg I don't think I could ever go quite so short, mines just above my shoulders now, but I would definitely cut it shorter if it suited me shorter. And I'm so glad to hear that things are better now :thumbsup: So you experience it as a feeling of cross-dressing too?? Ah, this is so strange. But also comforting to know there is someone who is similar while still identifying as a female.

Hm, yeah, I do think that "dyke" is a pretty offensive term. I'm sorry that people used to call you that :icon_sad: Some people can really be jerks. :bang:

12. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can definitely relate. I don't have time to type a long response because I have a crazy amount of homework. If this topic is still active by Saturday evening, I will elaborate.

13. waternation

waternation Guest

Thanks Awesome :slight_smile:

14. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

I've felt the same for almost my entire life. I hate wearing dresses or feminine clothing, I just like plain unisex, andro clothing/style, that's the most comfortable for me. I do like having long hair though.

15. waternation

waternation Guest

If that's you in your pic, you totally rock it^^ Hmm, so there are actually a lot of people who feel this way. This is really interesting to me because around other girls I usually feel like the black sheep and I assumed to a degree it was more a matter of preference for other people, not so much the same discomfort... I'm going to try and find some research on this later actually when I have time. I'm curious to know what the answer is! If there is one...