1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Students- Would you Write Someone Else's Essay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thepandaboss, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In college I wrote my brothers essays and papers for him in some classes.

2. Acuba403

No I hate essays with a burning passion

3. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, they can write their own essay.

4. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No qualms whatsoever with profiting out of someone else's mediocrity, or, to be fair, unfortunate circumstances that prevent them from doing it themselves. Specially if it's something on my field since not only do I get paid, but I also get to hone critical thinking skills in my area of expertise and ensure that you don't. Hence, one less person I need to worry about competing with.

#44 RawringSnake, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  5. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No but I edit.

6. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I probably wouldn't write it for them, but I'd offer to tutor them or look over it for a cheaper price.

7. CameronMR

hell no, id be expelled and I don't want to ruin my career

8. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No, I'm far too lazy.

9. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. I'd feel guilty AND I wouldn't enjoy writing an essay.

The closest thing I've done to this was one time I finished someone's homework, because it was the quickest way to get him to leave.

10. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

CameronMR, I think the rules against cheating may be stricter in Canada than in the US.
    Sounds like it. I used to be a high school teacher, and we're not that dumb. Everyone has their own distinctive writing style, vocabulary, patterns and use of punctuation. I would catch you by the second paragraph. Want to both get an F on the assignment?

It's different in university where class sizes are so huge and TA's often do the marking.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to say I'm pretty appalled by a lot of the answers here.

Of the ones saying "No, I wouldn't", many are saying they're too lazy, or couldn't be bothered, or aren't sure whether they could write well enough, or their writing style would be too sophisticated to pass for an average student. All of these are appalling. Very few are saying they wouldn't do it because it's wrong, and that's a really, really serious problem.

Does nobody get that academic fraud (which is what writing a term paper for someone else is) is problematic on many levels? Some things to consider:

-- When someone hires someone else to write their papers, that act alone can throw off the curve (for classes graded on a curve) for the entire class. This affects other, innocent students doing their own work.

-- The student who is willing to let someone else do his work is, essentially, setting him or herself up for a lifetime of lying about who s/he is. S/he will be using the degree s/he has received as a means of representing knowledge and skill and ability that an employer is evaluating in order to make a hiring decision. This has a twofold problem: First, the employer is getting someone who won't actually have the knowledge and skill that is being represented by the degree. And second, the employer may pass on someone who is actually more qualified, because s/he actually did all the work in college, but, because s/he had to balance the academic requirements of a bunch of classes, could not achieve as high grades. This is a loss for the honest student and the employer.

-- Our whole society depends on a certain level of personal integrity, which seems to be getting eroded pretty significantly. Students turning in work they didn't write is one issue, but academics turning in faked research for publication is another. The consequences are dire. And big businesses lying their asses off about everything that takes down entire economies (as happened in the 2007 recession in the US) is another consequence.

The problem is, when we are willing to lie, cheat, steal, or deceive about any one thing, it can pretty quickly lead to rationalization of behavior in other areas. The reason so many corporations are so corrupt is that they are filled with people who had no problems cheating on tests, paying others to write their papers or do their research, and the like.

Would you want your personal physician to be someone who didn't do his or her own study in school?

Would you want the architect who designed your house or apartment complex to have had someone else do much of their work, so they don't have a firm grasp of safety and engineering standards?

Would you want the pilot of your aircraft to have skated through their study of navigation, aviation, safety procedures, and the like?

And then there are thousands of other places where this sort of fraud can have small impacts that add up to a society where there's no sense of honesty or integrity.

I went to Oberlin College, a small liberal arts school. One of the somewhat unusual features of Oberlin is its Honor Code, which is taken very seriously. Each professor, each semester, must spend 10 minutes of the first or second class talking about the honor code and its meaning. Basically, you must do your own work in all cases. You must cite all sources. You cannot cheat on any academic work. And, in a pretty unusual step, if you know about or observe anyone else cheating, turning in a paper they didn't write, or any other dishonesty, you are obligated to report it. Non-reporting of an honor code violation is as serious a violation as having cheated.

Finally, because of the honor code and the seriousness with which it is taken, there are no exam proctors, and professors are not allowed to be in the room while an exam is being taken. Students are expected to uphold the honor code personally and communally. Violations are addressed by a special board made up of students as well as faculty.

Amazingly, that honor code is still serving the Oberlin community, and from my recent conversations with staff there, they believe that it works and that the students believe in and uphold the honor code. That certainly isn't the case at many other schools.

Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but I feel like personal and academic integrity are really crucial to an orderly and fair society, and I'm pretty surprised, and pretty disappointed, to see how lightly so many others take it.

12. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And I'm probably one of the ones Chip is appalled at, since my post went heavily into the issues of whether I'd be able to write a passable paper.

I will say the ethics of the situation bothers me, although I hadn't gone as far as thinking of the points that Chip outlined.

I'm ashamed to admit that I can't say with 100% certainty I'd say no if someone offered, say, a thousand bucks to write a 5 page paper. I hope I'd say no...but if that money were waved under my nose... That is a lot of money for someone barely surviving, as I am. And it's not like I've noticed good ethics are doing a hell of a lot to buy me anything tangible in this world.

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't disagree with the dilemma here. In a society where 1/10th of 1% of the population owns over 90% of of the total wealth, and many people are struggling hard to get by, there are circumstances where people have to make decisions that they would not make in a perfect world. I didn't meant to imply that this issue is as cut-and-dried as I made it out to be.

The part that was appalling was the very cavalier way in which some people indicated they'd have no problem with it at all, and dismissive responses like "boohoo" just further the sentiment.

I know there are a lot of people in the world who have no ethics, just disappointing to see it pointed out so starkly.

15. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going to echo Chip's sentiment, but my answer will be much shorter: Hell no!

I'd rather not get kicked out of college. I hate to sound conceited, but if I wrote a paper for someone, it'd probably be easily detectable by the sudden change in writing style as compared to their previous assignments.

#55 AwesomGaytheist, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  16. Simple Thoughts

I agree.

I do think that in a lot of ways it doesn't matter either.

In reality most places don't even seem to actually consider your personal qualifications all that highly. What you can do gets you through the door, after that it seems to mostly come down to who you're related to, how well you obey without question, and how much butt you can kiss on a daily basis.

The CEO's golf buddy is going to go way father in most companies than anyone who applies themselves and works hard. Doesn't matter if the golf buddy is a drug addict who can't even perform the most basic task because of how serious his/her problem is, just the fact they play golf with the CRO will always land them a way better position than any hard worker.

People shouldn't lie about what thye can do, or who they are but your qualifications really only serve to get you through the door. After that point your skill, devotion, and understanding of the job don't really seem to be a very high priority for most companies.

It's stupid and probably why we have so many problems in the U.S. but it's also kinda true.

Our safety guy where I work is the CEO's gambling buddy and he couldn't even tell you if the fire extinguishers actually ahve anything in them or not. HE just doesn't know. Doesn't check, doesn't care. Why would he? He's paid to be the CEO's friend, not to do his job.

17. Meadowlark17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    if i need the money yes they're going to get it from someone else if not me I might as well make a profit from it I would say no at first so I could drive up the price though.

18. xfinitycomcast

I barely do my own essays, so no, I'm not doing an essay for someone else lol.

19. CameronMR

no, I am in collage, I am studying to become a Nurse.

20. Ashley2103

Yes, and they would have to hand me the money first, and if I don't end up doing it, that's their problem for trying to cheat.