General News There's almost one gun per person in the USA.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by CyclingFan, Jun 19, 2015.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Meaning your hatred of guns baffles me to death and i have no other sense but to quote from my bf's favorite show Hogan's Heroes before he died. That is what he would say to your perceived hatred of guns.

2. Gentlewoman

Out Status:
    A few people
    That's not possible, unfortunately. The thing about tranquilizers is that they take several minutes to knock the target unconscious, and they need to be properly dosed to the height and weight of the individual being tranquilized by a trained medical professional. Too little, and it will only make the target drowsy over several minutes. Too much and it could potentially be lethal. If you hit bone instead of tissue with the dart, it will have much less effect, and it becomes difficult to properly dose a second dart. It just isn't feasible for self defense use at all.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Which is fine, and the difference of opinion is unfortunately a big rift because we can't have it both ways. I suppose the best situation is the one already present where we have our laws and you have yours; it all depends on how we see individual freedoms versus absolute preservation of life and limb.

It should be noted this doesn't mean I condone mass murders or a single act of violence with a gun. It's just a different approach to handling it should it happen.

4. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for that i hated the notion that i was condoning violence of any kind a thing i made clear in every post i made. lol

5. Gentlewoman

Out Status:
    A few people
    You know what the average accuracy for a police officer in a gunfight is? Somewhere less than 50%. I can't find the statistics anywhere, but I think the majority of cops who get shot did not have time to fire their weapon. That's just how it is in a gunfight. All that Western showdown at high noon shit doesn't happen (Go back to the Old West, and the crime rate was actually one of the lowest in the nation, and what shootings did happen tended to be very close range affairs where one guy got the drop on another and smoked him before he could react.). Real gunfights are chaotic clusterfucks where nobody fully understands what's going on or who is where doing what, provided they aren't already bleeding. Not to mention the fact that virtually everybody freezes up the first time they get into combat.

#125 Gentlewoman, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  6. juliegt6

One thing to note is how often this statistic set is mentioned out of context.

The CDC published gun deaths statistics, and is the source for your gunpolicy.org statistics. They are arranged in a way to where the data is all there, and the data matches cdc data.

Here is the CDC page you can view gun deaths:

FastStats - Injuries

Here is the page you can view suicide deaths, specifically that out of 33636 deaths by firearm in 2013, 21175 of those deaths are suicides by firearm. Or 62%.

FastStats - Suicide and Self-Inflicted Injury

You mention the death rate from firearms but really the biggest issue is the homicide rate, which is much lower than 10.6 per 100000.

#126 juliegt6, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  7. CyclingFan

This is why I find so many pro gun arguments to be extremely silly. As I said up thread, I think too many people think action movies are documentaries.

If someone points a gun at you and you've got one in your holster, best case scenario is that you are lighter by one gun, and they have two. The notion that someone is going to fire a gun at you but you'll have a chance to return fire is also pretty unrealistic.

Someone else has a gun in that theater in aurora Colorado, and there's probably more people dead. All of that sound, bright light and confusion and some schmoe with a glock is a hero? That's a pretty rich fantasy life, but it's hardly realistic.

Probably time we all told the nra to cram it.

---------- Post added 22nd Jun 2015 at 09:12 PM ----------

Nope, not out of context. The question is deaths by firearm, and that answers it.

Btw, our homicide rate by firearm is off the charts high too. There's no way to slice these numbers that do not equal a ton of carnage.

I find it intriguing that anyone would argue otherwise? I mean, there's no other purpose to a handgun that shooting people, outside of a few special built for hunting. Military style rifles are real good at killing people too, but are ridiculous hunting weapons.

Guns are a tool. A tool with a use of dealing out death. This isn't a controversial statement.

8. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

To the UK and Aussie folks, I agree. The American way of thinking... that the right to bear arms is an essential freedom and having a gun makes you safer.. is very flawed and a relic of the past. There is a level of paranoia and fear there which we simply do not understand.

There are actually lots of guns in Canada too, but they are mainly in the rural areas where farmers and ranchers use them for hunting or to protect their herds from coyotes, foxes and wolves. Very few think, I need a gun in case there is a home invasion. No one thinks, I may need a gun to protect myself from the government.

In fact, the majority of us do not want to own a gun for fear it will be used against us, a child may get hold of it or someone suicidal may use it.

There is no way to reason with the gun lobbyists in the USA. They are blind to the statistics. The average American refuses to take them on. Common sense gun laws which fly through our parliaments can not get passed in the USA. It truly is mind-boggling to us.
    We watch in dismay as Americans seem totally helpless to protect themselves from themselves. One shooting massacre after the other... and it will continue... and it will get worse. We can only look on in horror while they do... nothing.

9. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup, I agree with this.

10. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So true.

11. Psaurus918

What makes me laugh are the people that think civilian guns are going to be enough to take on the government in the very very rare chance they do decide to take over. Even with an assault riffle I'd like to see someone take on a tank or a fighter jet

12. juliegt6

Yes, because the OP post by yourself didn't mention anything about homicide specifically, did it? Nothing about guns not being the solution to a mass shooter.

I actually would like to see statistics of suicides by method before and after gun bans in countries who have extremely restricted firearms legislation.

13. CyclingFan

Well. I'm not exactly here to be your trained monkey. Do you have "Google" where you live?

14. antibinary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
    Deaths per 100,000 people
    Guns regulated (and concealment laws don't count).
    America: 10.64
    Guns regulated or banned.
    UK: 0.25
    Austrailia:0.86
    Canada:2.22
    Clearly gun control makes a difference. It's harder for criminals to get them, and there's little to no chance of a kid accidently firing one, and harder for anyone who's annoyed at someone/the world to get a gun and start firing. Plus it decreases the number of police related deaths as if civilians can't get guns, there is no need for police to get them apart from in special circumstances (like here in the UK)

15. Preppy Fetish

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A lot of gun collectors own many guns... 15, 20, 35+...

16. LiquidSwords

It is paranoia. God help me if I ever end up living somewhere where I feel the need to carry, or even own a gun to feel safe. I've only visited the USA once but I'm sure it isn't as fucked as that.

But anyway, when you look into how many more times a gun is used as an offensive rather than a defensive weapon the argument just starts to sound silly. You are much less likely to be killed without a gun in a country without guns, than you are with a gun in a country with guns, so if not wanting to get killed is your argument then you'd be in favour of gun control surely

17. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It also paranoia to be afraid of guns. I know the word law abiding apparently means nothing to those who want to ban guns but i know many people who are law abiding, of good mental health, and never committed a violent crime. Yes I admit we need to end gun violence and put some restrictions in place. I wonder why it is s so wrong for me to say a law abiding citizen who simply loves to hunt or own guns should not punished for the actions of others.

I did bring up constitution and i know the constitution is deeply flawed and should not be sued as a effective argument to protect gun rights. But i believe in personal freedom and responsibility to tell a human being we are taking your guns away because we are afraid of you going crazy is personally offensive to those who simply own a gun. But that does not matter to those who want complete gun bans.

18. Psaurus918

Most people are law abiding citizens until they snap and shoot up a school or church or movie theater.

19. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Besides the fact that I find it incredibly odd that people could ever enjoy to go out and hunt, I'd like to point out that it's not paranoia to be afraid of guns. Being afraid of guns does not mean that that person shows signs of paranoia.

America and its gun obsession.. For me it seems so absurd, it's definitely one of those things I cannot grasp. I find it shocking that there's almost one gun per person in the USA. Hope to see this number close to zero in future.

20. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So still i refuse to punish those who did not commit a crime out of fear. I cannot reason with paranoia but i understand it goes both ways in some respects.