1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Duggar interview

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, Jun 3, 2015.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They are stuck in a bad situation. Believe me years from now more shit is gonna hit the fan and get out there. Another thing is these girls and family don't have a worldly perspective at all. The parents have their own world and anybody who disagrees with them is poisonous and it is obvious they live by their own rules only.

2. kaotyc

@Dano, I was living with a VERY religious person for a year. And went to a church that was very strict. It's called Pentecostal. They believe anyone outside of their churches/belief system is "demonic". They also believe homosexuality is an " Antichrist Spirit". And that demons can possess you from living "in the world" or watching/reading/listening to anything that is not deemed suitable or "Christian." They say that being "in the world" Means you're against God.

It was literally the most horrific experiences of my life. I witnessed a woman having a seizure and no one doing anything but pray over her. They kicked out a 16-year-old gay teen for being "offensive" because he's the stereotypical gay guy. And they banned him from bringing his friend (who I think was his boyfriend).

It's a faith-based sect of Christianity called Pentecostal.

3. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't stand hypocrisy. If queer people shouldn't have children, then straight men shouldn't have daughters. Or older boys shouldn't have younger sisters! Whatever. What losers the Duggars are.

4. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was raised pentecostal. I hated it. It made me feel very condemned. However, I never saw the extremes you are talking about. Some pentecostals are more strict than others and varry on beliefs just like any denomination. Some of them can be cultish and some really aren't. They are very strict compared to most other Christian denominations standards though. I'm sorry you experienced that at a pentecostal church. I'm sure if I had, I would have even more bitterness as a result of pentecostal judgement.

5. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am sorry to hear that. It makes all christians look bad when not all of them are that way obviously.

6. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suspect she knows what a pedophile is. I would be astounded if she knows what a transsexual is.

7. kaotyc

@bicomplicated This one felt like a cult. They told their church not to associate with people who aren't in the church. And, my personal favorite, the demons can come from a LGBT person and "possess" people who associate with the LGBT person and make them turn LGBT.

I obviously left. I was harassed by the head Pastor for leaving. He even breached my confidentiality and told the former family friend I was living with that I was moving AFTER I told him that I feared for life because she had threatened me numerous times and told me she "would not let me move out" and told my mother that if I didn't "turn straight" she was going to take matters into her own hands.

I mean, my mother is Christian and I was raised Christian, so I know all Christians aren't bad. But that sect just horrified me.

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Bbbbbbbbbbut nobody is without sin! They're being persecuted for their Christian beliefs!"

Pretty much my whole family is supporting these clowns because, "Lots of families have molestation secrets that never get reported." Funny how when it's the son of a couple religious zealot slack-jawed yokels that happen to have a TV show, this is "religious persecution," yet none of them stood up and supported Jerry Sandusky. Gee, I wonder why.

9. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I wish and I would think out of 19 children some of them are gonna run into gay people or be gay themselves and it will hopefully change their hearts and minds. They do have a lesbian aunt thought who is michelle's sister but i am sure that is complicated. These people maybe hopeless though and my mother who loves this show even though she is not homophobic even denies this is a cult. She is too blinded by her love of this cult like show. But me and my dad saw right through them.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is really key. They actually have no capacity for real empathy at all. For that matter, they also have no expression of genuine emotion because they have no real vulnerability. Brené Brown has said "religion without vulnerability is extremism" and I doubt anyone would disagree that the Duggars are extremists with regard to their religious views.

Vulnerability requires letting go of certainty. If you're a religious extremist, certainty is a big part of that. And that, in turn, means you're stuck with a very limited range of emotion, no critical thought, and... a pretty miserable life.

In a way, I feel really compassionate for these folks because they are just so broken.

11. atoadaso

atoadaso Guest

I'm physically unable to wrap my head around all this Duggar business. Even 2 of his sisters have said that he isn't a pedophile, & they can say that because they're victims. This whole thing is absurd. I can't even grasp the idea that this family exists & is as big as they are. It would be sad if there were only 5 of them that were this painfully stupid, but there's what, over 20? I don't feel sad for them at all. I just wish they'd all go the hell away & stop profiting off what disgusting people they are.

EDIT: I feel sad for the victims, of course.

12. kaotyc

They are going away. TLC (the channel that sponsers them) pulled all episodes off their channel and online. And around 50 advertisers said they don't want their products promoted while that show is airing. There's also talk of cancelling the show permanantly.

13. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    lol I forgot about that...every time Michael Jackson spoke about the allegations: "That's ignorant! I like to sleep with kids, if you think there's something wrong with that, that's ignorant!" All the MJ impersonators use that phrase of course. :slight_smile:

At least he made good music. Josh Duggar's "greatest hits" were persecuting the gay community.

14. Sienrar

What interview? Did they have one recently? May I have a link, please?

15. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kind of off topic but I don't think Bill Cosby or even Michael Jackson are proven abusers. It still all just talk but there is nothing worse than a family that hides behind their bible while spreading hate and lies.

16. kaotyc

17. MrSkittles

When I was watching the interview something Michelle said that annoyed me. They were talking about Transgender people and Michelle said somewhere along the lines of that men shouldn't be able to use women's bathroom. I'm not sure but I think that implies that they think transgender women as men. That seriously annoyed me when I heard that.

18. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  19. 741852963

Well I would concede that the media hasn't really shown much sympathy to the victims (the sisters involved). They are victims of sexual assault at the end of the day, so should be treated with at least a little dignity by the press.

That is not to say the parent's have helped them though or treated them with respect, they haven't.

But on the whole yes. The media is right to point out the hypocrisy of the perpetrator and his parents. The only thing I think it a little accurate is the labelling of the son as a "pedophile", as a minor molesting other children he would be a sex offender definitely, but he is not necessarily a "pedophile".

20. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. It is a conflict when you want to give respect to the actual victims but at the same time you want to call out hypocrisy as you see it. These girls should someday hopefully find out they are worth something.