1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

texting too much

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Andstillimhere7, May 18, 2015.

1. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Is it bad that I text this guy too much? I try to space myself too avoid being annoying but anytime I try to text him I feel like I am annoying him but I'm not. I get so anxious when he doesn't text back because I sometimes think he is ignoring me or I'm not worth his time. But is it bad that I text too much to him? We are friends and I really like him (He's gay) and I don't want to ruin this chance because of my mistake.

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really hate when people take too long to answer. I avoid talking too much if they arent answering, but it really sucks when you are.excited about someone and they act like that.

3. Erick

Hi!

Firstly I'd like to say that I highly doubt he is ignoring you or even so, not interested. Giving him space is okay, but you have to show him you are interested in him if you wish to bring forth a relationship with this guy. It's okay to feel anxious when people don't text back however, you shouldn't feel bad if he doesn't text back. Chances are he's busy. I've seen scenarios in which a crush would text a friend, but that friend didn't reply and the crush didn't like her anymore.

What I'm saying is don't feel bad if he doesn't text back or takes too long, giving him space is necessary if you text him CONSTANTLY as in 24/7, hint to him you're interested (please don't lose interest unless you're sure he doesn't want anything) and finally let it flow normally, don't force anything :slight_smile:

Good luck! :grin:

4. bookworm1986

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey no worries, I'm in the same position. I've been texting this guy for two months.sometimes he takes up to half an hour to text. I know the feeling of waiting, wondering if what you texted was ok or not his intrest. Listen space them out, I try to wait two days but honestly I fail epically at it and text him the next day lol. There have been times when he doesn't answer back, and times I over text. Be honest with him, I asked him straight out if I ever bugged him or annoyed him to let me know. I hope it ends up being something great for you guys. :icon_bigg

5. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Haha me two lol I promised myself that I would talk to him in two days and then the next day I'm like screw it and just text him.

I also been realizing that I am the one who always initiates conversation with my friends, not just him, and that I'm accepting that position and that I'm just going to text them. Anyways I'm also paranoid that he will get a bf because he knows like five gay guys and I'm so paranoid that he might not choose me.

6. bookworm1986

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OMG I'm in the exact same position, I meet him on a certain orange app. We talked for three days and then he asked for my number. We've been texting for 2 months and hung out 3 times lol. I really really really like him. I know that right now he's looking for a serious friendship he's been through alot with previous relationships and doesn't trust easily. He's on a certain app most of the time, I'm so afraid he'll meet another guy. It was driving me crazy to the point that I finally deleted my account and the app. I want to earn his trust and pray that he'll see me as more then a friend. Good luck with your guy! :thumbsup:

7. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Wowza, I gotta chime in because I was in the exact same situation last year. I was usually the one initiated the convos, and I was so delighted that he texted my first on some very rare occasions. I also did the whole "do you enjoy talking to me/ am I an annoyance?" and I can confirm with you that he wasn't annoyed. If he doesn't text you back immediately then probably it isn't because of you, no worries :slight_smile:

I do suggest you to take an easy pace, you don't have to text him everyday, maybe like Monday, then Wednesday and so on? Give him some space and more importantly, give yourself some space! If one thing I learned from my last crush, it's this: "I fell for him mostly because of the time I invest in him, and not because of who he is". Learn from my experience and you won't have to wonder maybe you are not good enough.

Good luck.

8. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm like that too. I don't want to spam him so I avoid texting him sometimes. Then when I keept texting and he doesn't reply then I ger concerned lol.

I think it's more of a possessive thing, at least for me it is. Not something I'm proud of for sure.

9. robclem21

Admittedly, I am like this as well. It stems from some really bad experiences I have had with people before, but nonetheless something that has come up a few times (insignificantly I must add) in my current relationship. I am learning to trust my bf when he says I am never bothering him, and learning to be patient when waiting for a response.

I like to keep a constant stream of communication throughout the day. It helps me stay calm and connected with him, so I don't think there is anything inherently bad with texting too much. I would avoid sending a ton of messages in between responses from him, but I think as long as you manage expectations and it doesn't lead to fights than its probably not a big deal.

Secondly, if you are worried about others snatching him up, just ask him out?

10. AAASAS

If your not in a relationship he may not feel the need to respond quickly? I don't feel I need to get back to my friends instantly.

My previous relationship the guy messaged me more than what I would've wanted, but I really loved him and made the extra effort to always contact him whenever I could, even would leave notes on my desk in the morning to remember to send an e-mail because I would forget sometimes.

MY current relationship the guy doesn't message as much, and I find myself in your situation, but I don't get worried, I more get passive aggressive and pissed off and then don't respond to him quickly when he messages me ; I know totally juvenile.

I know this may not help your situation but it is from two different point of views, some people just don't feel the need to be in constant contact; like me. But I also do get worried if I don't get a message back in a timely manner, so you obviously aren't in the wrong feeling the way you do.

I would just say the fact you aren't even dating should tell you that he doesn't owe it to you to text back right away?

also he could be like how I am and trying to act like you don't care by not messaging back right away. I intentionally wait like an hour before i respond to a text when messaging a guy I like not to seem overly interested.

This may be the wrong way to go about things, and I'm certainly not being honest about my feelings with people, and am pretty immature for doing what i do, but it just goes to show you that some people either don't value texting too much, or don't wanna show their true feelings by messaging back right away.

I also have a friend who hardly keeps his cell phone on him so I always expect late responses.

Could you may tell us how he acts with his cellphone around you? Does he seem attached to it?

This may be a dishonest thing, but you could try texting him from another phone number and seeing if he responds to that. Make sure you send a text from your cell phone too right before. If he responds to the unknown number and not yours, then you know he is screening your texts, but that doesn't mean he isn't into you, cause again I purposely don't respond right away.

I'm not condoning the shady behaviour I am advising you of, I have different moral values, and certain things drive me crazy so I would have no problem doing that just to get an answer, I tend to push it when I want to know something.

11. hubcap

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Is texting a friend nearly everyday normal or a little excessive? Sometimes we carry a conversation for days.

#11 hubcap, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  12. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

I'd say if you're texting him five times a day, and he's only texting you every 3rd or 4th day, slow down. Try to match his pace somewhat.

13. hubcap

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Actually he usually initiates the conversation. I really don't text that much.

14. Pouletto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I met a friend a on a certain app seven months ago. For the first few montjs, we texted back everyday, give or take 20 sms per day. After a few months, I texted esch other every other day, and now it's more like once or twice a week. Sometimes it takes him a few hours before answerinf and other times, he just doesn't answer.
    He never really initiates the conversation, I know he prefers phone calls, but I hate talking on the phone.
    Sometimes, when I don't text him for a few days, I'm afraid he'll just stop talking to me / forgets about me.

15. richr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with Open Arms. I think it's really up to the individual.

I usually reply fairly quickly but I realise some people like to play hard to get, i.e. the waiting game, and I know for a fact that they check their phones often because I've seen them doing that when we're out together. With these people I let them have a taste of their own medicine, sometimes multiple fold. And if I notice it's almost always me who initiates things, I will 'reassign' their place in my life. I have no time for people who don't have time for me.

If someone texts me daily though I'd be inclined to think they either really enjoy talking to me or have some romantic feelings for me haha. If it's a really good friend I would call every so often just so we can have a good chat.

#15 richr, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015