1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complimenting straight friends

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Psaurus918, May 12, 2015.

1. Psaurus918

I was wondering what you guys would consider "crossing the line" when complimenting straight friends. My best friend bought new sunglasses and I told him he looked sexy in them. How many on here are open with their friends when it comes to stuff like this?

2. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    In my opinion it is a blurred line and you need to feel comfortable enough around your friends and vice versa to compliment them in such a fashion. I'm afraid of complimenting my girl friends because they might think I'm actually hitting on them and that would turn away from me. I haven't come out to them.

#2 Weregild, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
  3. LibertyValance

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Eh, its definitely a fine line and it varies based on individuals. Some of my straight friends freak out at the slightest compliment thinking I am hitting on them, others are just fine with compliments. Personally I take it on a friend by friend basis but as a general rule I try to compliment straight friends fairly infrequently just so that they do not get uncomfortable thinking I am trying to hit on them. Most of the times I will stick to fairly generalized things like clothes or complimenting a new haircut. With some friends who are more comfortable I will give the occasional compliment about them having nice abs/butt/et cetera, but that is only with friends that have shown to be comfortable with it. Even then I still keep complimenting straight friends to an infrequent amount so that they don't get the idea that I am hitting on them.

4. Gandee

Gandee Guest

I'm confused. Usually my friends ask me: "do I look cute? do I look handsome" and I always have to say yes. They must be thinking am their mother or something. There isn't any awkwardness because I say in a tone which just yells I can't be bothered. Complimenting personality is when it gets weird though.

5. joshsbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well I always find that my female friends always compliment each other, and I kinda find this normal? I compliment my male friends as mich as I do my female friends and they're fine with it. There is a line as to what I can say to the guys though, because "it's innapropriate" or something ridiculous. I think guys just don't like it because they either think you like them (don't flatter yourself hun) or think they might be accused of being gay (shock horror, Ikr).
    It probably depends on your friends tbh. There are some guys who I would expect a punch in return for complimenting, others would just be very uncomfortable and avoid me. I don't really understand how straight guys minds work....

6. Joelouis

Well I do compliment my friends if I think it helps. Not that it's happened, but if they did think I was hitting on them, I'd probably tell them not to flatter themselves.

7. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I just compliment them because when I was in high school, there was literally no line. I think that was the reason I was so confused because all my straight friends literally did not know the existence of a line so they just threw out stuff like 'Wow, looking sexy today. *leer*' and etc. So I guess from all that, I compliment anyone that catches my eyes and I don't give a shit if I get weird looks... besides my compliments are pretty conservative anyway :slight_smile:

8. Bravesole

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Am honest with my friends if they look nice I tell them I have male, female friends a few are gay and I complement them.

9. twister692

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My best friend (straight) and I always exchange compliments and ask advice about how we look. It's never been weird or uncomfortable for us to discuss looks and/or give compliments, which I appreciate.

10. atoadaso

atoadaso Guest

I have like, 5 straight friends, & they're all really chill/know that my compliments aren't come-ons. I'm actually more concerned about all my queer friends thinking I'm hitting on them! But my whole friend group is really comfortable with each other, & we just hand out innocent compliments. I might tell someone they look hot in something, but that's about as far it would go. My friends know there's a .0000000000001 chance I'm attracted to them, so they don't feel uncomfortable by me telling them I like their shirt. I'm also really sappy & I've been known to write my friends letters/send them texts telling them how great they are, so I'm glad they're all comfortable!

11. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't compliment anybody :lol: