1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Fox News host: Transgender bathroom policies are a ‘war on biology’ and the ‘scientif

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, May 11, 2015.

1. DragKing692

Re: Fox News host: Transgender bathroom policies are a ‘war on biology’ and the ‘scie

Not even close to being extreme. I was thinking the same thing.
    F*ck you, Fox News.

2. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Fox News host: Transgender bathroom policies are a ‘war on biology’ and the ‘scie

OK, Time to pull up The Onion for some real news

3. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I have to admit thought it is funny to see Fox play the victim on a numerous amount of subjects. They constantly complain about the mean liberals and the so called war against christians which is far from the truth. They are angry all the time. fake and just plain stupid.

4. NamesNotJake

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

First equal marriage was war...
    Now trans friendly bathroom are a war...
    HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!!!

5. PurpleGrey

Oh, gawd. To think I once took this show seriously. I was young! I was naive!

Also, where the hell did money come into the conversation? How is it a waste of money to vote on a policy? Why is Fox news so hellbent on being a dick to everyone?

6. BisexualQueen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

One I'm so happy because while it's not the school system I'm in, it's really close to mine so hopefully it will influence other schools in Virginia. Second, Fox News is horrible and completely biased. They can say whatever and have no serious consequences. I can't stand it. I'm happy for all my trans friends in Fairfax though. :slight_smile:

7. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

You all talk about the shame and pain regarding a trans person using a bathroom they don't feel comfortable in. What about the straight boy who is ashamed of his body who doesn't want to be in the bathroom or shower with anyone else, male, female or trans? Is this not just as valid a concern? Doesn't this bring a similar amount of shame and pain?

It's as if these concerns are just brushed off because the are male, and straight. They just have to get used it, even if it leads to bullying and a bruised psyche.

The solution to all this is to ONLY have open bathrooms and teach kids not to be hung up on genitals or ashamed of their bodies. Well, and to stop bullying those who are different then they are.

I really do find it odd that American television will show violence and mayhem all day long, but dare not show a penis, vagina, or breasts...

And again, bashing the source is not discussing the issue.

#27 kindy14, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
  8. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people

New here and going to start off by pissing some people off.
    First off Im an active Bi, (not as active as I would like) I have no problem with transgender people at all, they deserve the same respect as I would give anyone.
    that being said, I do have a concern with transgenders being able to use the bathroom they feel most comfortable in. The reason has nothing to do with the real transsexual, it has to do with opening up the very real potential for abuse.
    Lets say a transgender is allowed by law to use the female bathroom.
    Now lets for a moment pretend Im a pedophile, what is going to stop me from putting on a dress and a wig and going into that females bathroom and molesting a child?
    like I said, Im not concerned with the TG acting in this manner, but it does open the door for the molesters to gain free access that can not be questioned at the time the enter. And even if that is my intention and someone stops me because Im ugly (and I would be one ugly woman) They open themselves up for a discrimination lawsuit.

9. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Because we all know child molesters and pedophiles are respectful of the law and won't do something like that anyway. Think about what you're saying. There's at least a million people in the United States alone who are trans -- probably a lot more -- whose basic human rights you would have taken away because a pedophile might take advantage of it (which they could do anyway). Should we ban adults in parks, it's a common place for pedophiles to hang out, right? Perhaps we should completely ban adults from interacting with children, because you know, a pedophile could pretend to be an innocent adult and take advantage of the child?

I hope you are able see the flaw in your logic. "Think of the children" is all too often used to discriminate against minorities, not just trans* people. It is also used against non-straight people still today (especially in regards to gay parenting) so it is interesting that you're unable to empathize. Truth is most children who are molested are attacked by someone they know and trust.

Edited to add:
    You're also forgetting that a female could be a child molester who likes girls, or that a male child molester may like boys. They can hang out there all day, yet I have never heard of an attack like that taking place in a public bathroom.

#29 HappyGirlLucky, May 12, 2015
  10. Queero

Okay woah.

Give me a moment to calm down a little before I say something that will get me reported.

You do realize that they could still do that, and that there is the very real possibility that there could be a male pedophile praying on a child in the men's bathroom as well.

And that pedophilia is not limited to men.

I'm going to stop for now or I will get nasty.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'm not going to tell you how outlandish your example was, because others have. Though I understand the direction you're coming from, I want to point something out:

This whole argument falls apart when you consider, most people who are going to molest somebody, do so anyway, regardless of how the law is. Rape is not non-existent, even though it's against the law, for example. The only people that follow laws are the law-abiding, that's why some folks are classified as criminals.

Could a very small percentage of the world take advantage of something like this? Maybe, but what law has ever stopped them from violating another before?

12. Queero

I'm just going to add to my previous post in saying that even if you don't know it, this follows from the same line of thinking that brought us "being queer is wrong", and "gay people are just perverts". These aren't true. They hurt people, they are founded in ignorance, fear, and shame.

I've never heard of anyone pretending to be trans in order to molest anybody, but I have heard of people posing as a priest/pastor/loving father, who then molested/raped/sexually abused children.

But I don't know very much about these groups, I'm not one of them, none of my friends are, most of what I know about them is just stereotypes.

So I'm going to keep my mouth shut about them, because I don't think that just because one member of a group did something makes it okay to assume that everyone in that group is a certain way.

13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Can Fox News complain about something that matters, like how cruddy the education system is or something useful for a change?

14. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Tucker Carlson on a TV is a war on my intelligence.

If you're making the case for singular bathrooms only in your first paragraph, I'd love to hear it. And no, the second situation is not a similar fear because the second person under many circumstances will not face the same type of bigotry a trans person may face.

We're not brushing off anyone's concerns, we just hate it when people liken transgender people to sexual deviants like Tucker Carlson just did when trying to argue against inclusive bathrooms and with what happened with the repeal of the SOGI ordinance in Springfield, MO.

15. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Can we please drop the word"pedophile" right there?
    We established that people can be born gay or bi or whatever orientation.There are also people who have a somewhat unchangeable sexual attraction towards children. I am not saying that it is ok to have any kind of sexual intercourse with kids and that those two can't be intertwined but its not necessarily the same.Some paedophiles never rape anyone in their entire life and go to help meetings etc. and some people who are sexually attracted to grown ups molest children to get a feeling of power.
    The gay community has nothing to do with pedophilia but we should know better than everyone else that one is not responsible for ones sexual attractions.(and again this doesn't mean acting on them is ok in this case)

16. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Hey all, :slight_smile:
    Just a friendly reminder to be respectful of others if you engage in a debate. We can see this thread is already getting a little heated, but please remember to be respectful.

17. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Presumably the same thing that prevents male pedophiles from molesting a male child in the men's bathroom.

The more I hear people up in arms over the "invasion of transgenders into public bathrooms", the more I start wondering what the hell is going on in these bathrooms. At every public restroom I've been to, it's been pretty much nothing but urination, defecation, and washing hands. On exceptionally rare occasions, I've seen something else like "somebody changing a baby". As far as I'm concerned, women can come into the men's room anytime they want - I just can't imagine they'd ever want. :slight_smile:

Lex

18. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

In a perfect world we would all have our own private bathroom stall where one would relieve themselves. The washing up part afterwards could certainly be gender-neutral. That would be my ideal. You go into the communal bathroom, pick a stall (no more open urinals or troughs,) and do your business. You exit, wash up, and that's that. No having to wipe it out in public just to pee (for all of us with penises.)

As a young boy, before any sexual identity emerged, I was made to feel ashamed of my body from bullying. When I hit puberty before the other kids, even more shaming for having a big bush of pubic hair, thin as a toothpick, and very awkward. Still have issues with using public bathrooms because of it. And it's only being older and mature, that has caused me to loose all shame of my body in private with others (or semi-private over the internet with pictures.)

So, I agree, the 2nd situation is not equivalent, but isn't bigotry and bullying harmful, no matter who the person is on the receiving end? May not be just as harmful, not bigotry, but body shaming. And wrong.

That's all I'm saying the issues of bathroom use should transcend just transgendered individuals. To me relieving yourself in view of strangers is an alien concept. You couldn't do it in public, but put us in a private room, and it's supposed to not be an issue.

I don't know anything about gender dysphoria, but I know about not feeling comfortable around other boys and men because you don't like how you look. And I know the level of bullying and abuse that can happen to kids in the bathroom and locker rooms. If I recall, I maybe took two or three showers when I was in high school. I was just so ashamed of others seeing me (despite the fact that I have a male member that many others are envious of.) I always thought I was a physical freak, 6'4" and 110lbs coming out of high school, nearly looking like a prisoner of war just released. Heck, maybe if I had gotten the nerve up to shower, and had a boner, I might have gotten dates... :grin:

There are no simple solutions to all this issues. And these are just my thoughts.

19. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I agree with most of what you said in this post. I think men's bathrooms should just have stalls like women's, because there is no doubt that a very large percentage of men have body image issues, a lot of them related to their privates. Plus like you said, potentially other body image issues stemming from bullying. Half the stalls should have those stand-to-pee toilets and the other normal sitting ones. There is no reason why men should have to pee together like now with those urinals. No one would lose anything by letting men have more privacy! It would be of benefit to trans men too, for that matter, who may be unable to use the urinals.

My ideal still has a separate washing up area for women (cis or trans), just because I like the safe space.

#39 HappyGirlLucky, May 12, 2015
  20. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I actually agree with a lot of the points you made. Thanks for the clarification. :slight_smile:

Body shaming is definitely wrong, and that's why I'd love to have unisex bathrooms with stalls that lead to stand up toilets and ones that lead to sit down ones.