I don't think my parents will believe my gender identity

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Clancularius, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

I've recently decided that the best way to fix and in a way save my life is by trying to convince my parents to allow me to transition. But the greatest flaw in this plan is that my parents don't know I'm trans and likely won't believe me when I tell them, this is mostly my fault because I was bullied when I was younger for acting feminine and I've tried to act more masculine since then. I need some advice on how I should make sure that my parents will be believe me and not react negatively.

2. Acm

Acm Guest

You could tell them that you changed your behavior to avoid bullying. Also, if they don't believe you at first, after a while once they see you're serious and don't change your mind, they might start to take you more seriously.

3. Albion

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hmm, well the simple answer would just be to just go and tell them but obviously that isn't as easy as it seems, I know from experience with stubborn parents it's not easy. Like, I've hinted that I'm not as much of a girl as my mom thinks I am by cutting my hair, wearing my brothers clothes and shopping in the men's section and then I tried to get the hint across with the 'I would actually like it if people thought I was a boy' and 'I don't want my breasts' but my mom couldn't relate so she just jumped into a story of how she wanted bigger boobs all her teenage years like everyone else- GASP. venting, sorry lolz.
    Well here's a plan:
    1. you can try to just simply tell them and hope they recieve it well.
    2. you could go back to acting less masculine and slowly start incorpoarting feminine pieces into what you wear (idk be creative) and maybe that'll get the point across that you're trans. Maybe. But, I've learned that parents don't take well to hints because they'll ignore them or in your case I think your parents might steer you away from being feminine cuz that's why you got bullied when you were younger and of course they just want to protect you.
    3. instead of being verbally straight forward or showing them through appareances you could come about it in a more round about way, like pointing out things that relate to being trans that interest you and then if things are going smoothly you can leap to the main point from there or let it go and show them another thing later and try again so they will have some running idea in the backs of their heads that you are telling the truth.

Well, that's all I've got, but I'm a coward so trying to hint to my mother hasn't worked at all and still doesn't understand that I don't want to be seen as a girl. But, you're 14 so be young and brave and adventurous and hopefully I was of some help and this all works out X-D man......
    epic profile picture btw

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well its up to you what you say since you know the people involved best...
    you might have a look here:
    When things
    (and disregard the next posting... its just this one)

Its only portrayed in some media that people know from early on.

You might have shown some thoughts then, but not acted upon them.
    In fact, quite a few people do the opposite, trying to fulfill and even overfulfill gender roles until they simply find out its not them. And people have transitioned in their 70s.

You might say you don't like this manly stuff, its just not who you are. There is no use in trying, and its not their fault.

Now well, they might be afraid what neighbours think... but you could say its really who you are, and there are many people like you.

Some people come out in a letter.
    There are letters from tg people on EC.
    You might even post your draft here and ask for opinions.

And you might make some friends on EC.

hugs

#4 jay777, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015