1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro gamers

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by NingyoBroken, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry I didn't answer this properly at first!

What's your favourite retro home console?: Well that is a tough one, I think that depends how retro we are talking. The SNES has the best library of retro games for sure! But I didn't get a SNES until I was 16, and by then I had a gamecube and a PS2.. My oldest console though that I've had since I was 2 is my NES, I love my old NES to death :slight_smile: but I don't know how I feel about calling it my favorite xD idk PS1 may be my favorite Retro console, its the system I have the most games for right now o.o (does that count as retro though?)
    What about portable console?: I mean... I can't really say I played any of the other old school handhelds out there, it was all about the gameboy, and I also can't claim the originals are better than the eventual ultimate gameboy the Gameboy Advanced SP! Each addition to the gameboy line was basically just a hardware upgrade of the last and while it did mean new games for it it also played the old games just fine... So ultimately the SP was the best because it had all the features you could want from a gameboy, it was pocket-able, it was in color, it was more advanced, and it had a backlit screen! So yeah xD Idk how retro that is, but The GBA-SP
    Arcade game?: HYDRO THUNDER! A weird one for me, as I'm not a big fan of racing games but this game and I have history! when Arcade machines started to disappear from my town I always had this game, it was in my local Cee Cee's Pizza, and has been there since I was in middle school! There is something of a nostalgic feeling I get when I jump into the drivers seat and take the game for a spin. This cabinet has an amazing feel to it too, it had this great rumble feature and the steering wheel would jerk along with the action you'd see in the game, it really feels like your in the drivers seat! Even though the game is third person boat racing! xD It is so much fun, though I can never beat it... (I SUCK at racing games XD)
    Console game?: Uuuugh... So harrrd... The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy 1, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IX, Beyond the Beyond, Megaman, Megaman X, Mortal Kombat, Altered Beast, Super Metroid, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Sonic and Knuckles, Earthbound... There are just so many @w@

2. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Try Marvin, works good and it's free.

3. YunoGasai

the most retro i go is pokemon emerald XD

4. Polka Dots

I love retro games and prefer them to modern ones --- they were the games I grew up playing.

Favorite console: NES!
    Favorite portable console: I actually really liked the Game Gear even though it wasn't very popular.
    Arcade game: Tie between Super Breakout! and X-Men (by Konami). I spent many a quarter playing as Nightcrawler back in the day.
    Console game: Harvest Moon for SNES.

5. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You bet. I mostly play older games on the Wii Virtual Console (SNES and NES games) I also play retro PC games.

Favorite console: Nintendo 64! :grin:
    Favorite portable console: Game Boy Color I suppose.
    Arcade game: Mortal Kombat. The only game I ever played in an arcade though was Daytona USA.
    Console game: Banjo Kazooie for N64. Its sequel is also amazing.

6. Ryu

Ryu

1. Gotta be the NES. It's a hugely influential console that changed the market massively.
    2. Game boy. The original was (again) a massive hit and without it, the market would be incredibly different, maybe even so much that mobile games would never of existed.
    3. Polibius! Just kidding. Ermm... The original beat 'em ups like Street fighter I suppose. I'm not overly familliar with arcade games.
    4. CASTLEVANIA FAN 4 LIFE WOO!! Yeah, I love the castlevania games, even though I've only completed one (Legends, game boy), I still love it. I'd have to say that IV is my faviroute though.

7. KMP123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Awesome thread love seeing retro gamers like myself!

1.Favorite Console: SNES, that thing is timeless and just nearly flawless
    2. Handheld: Game Boy Advance
    3. Arcade: Street Fighter II, Pac-Man, Metal Slug to name a few
    4. Favorite console game: for genres Platformer (Super Mario World), RPG (Final Fantasy VI), Fighting game (Street Fighter III Third Strike), SHMUP (Gradius 2 I guess), Beat Em Up' (Streets of Rage 2), Adventure (Tie between Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time), and racing (Mario Kart Double Dash)

Retro systems I own: NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Genesis, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2.

I prefer retro over modern and I'm only 22! Only modern stuff I care for is Wii, Wii U, 3DS, and Steam.

#27 KMP123, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I loved the SNES. I played some NES too as a kid, but SNES was more nostalgic for me. That and the Game boy.

9. guitar

SNES & 64
    Handheld: probably game boy advance, although game gear had some great games.
    Never really played many arcade games, so I'll go cruisin USA & street fighter 2.
    Console games: ff2&3 for SNES (4&6), ocarina of time, GoldenEye, Mario kart 64.

10. ember

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Even though I didn't grow up with it, I LOVE the SNES. It's graphics hold up much better than the NES or the N64, and it has an amazing library. Earthbound, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Megaman X, Link to the Past, Super Mario RPG, Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, and 3, Kirby Super Star, and I'm definitely missing some great ones.

Also, GBA because it's pretty much the handheld equivalent of the SNES, it has Sonic Advance, Pokemon RSE and FRLG, Mother 3 (though I used VisualBoy for that) the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Zelda Minish Cap, and once again many other great ones I'm missing.

#30 ember, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  11. AsheTheHuman

16 bit or older? Then definitely the SNES. Super Mario World 1 & 2, the original Donkey Kong Country Trilogy, Mega Man X, Star Fox, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Manna, Kirby's Dream Land 3, Super Metroid, Earth Bound... So many fantastic games.
    Game Boy Color. Everything the original Game Boy had and more! Really though, the competition is scare. The Game Gear had it's gems, but nothing really compared.
    Ready to get REALLY retro? Missile Command. That game is absolutely one of the best examples of video games as art you could possibly hope to find. I can't talk about it without writing paragraphs, so I'll leave it at that for now.
    Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Yes, the SNES is my favorite console, but I'm still a Sonic fangirl at heart. It's just so fantastic!

12. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I grew up on the Nintendo 64 and the PlayStation 1. And the PS2... but I played PS1 the most. I didn't get my hands on an SNES till I got to college. That was a blast from the past!

13. C P

C P

I love retrogaming, whether going back to favorite games or trying out games I've missed.

What's your favourite retro home console?

8/16-bit, right? Probably the SNES then. Used to play some of my favorite games like DKC, Killer Instinct, etc. with some family... the former in particular. Even some Power Ranger games I had since I was really into that back then.

What about portable console?

Gameboy Advance, obviously. It had arguably one of my favorite library of games(the original Golden Sun duo, Pokémon RSE, Drill Dozer, etc.) and, while I had the original gameboy before then, the GBA is where I really picked up a personal interest in gaming, so takes me back.

Arcade game?

The most I had with these were those arcade sections in the mall or the little game 'corners' they had in like Kmart. Can't remember many specific titles but I did like the obvious racing games and some of those scrolling shooters.

Console game?

From the 8/16-bit era? Probably the original DKC since I had a lot of fun in particular with family with that. Non 8/16-bit? GoldenEye 007 and SM64 probably; just love those to bits.

I had a (kinda) similar thing happen. While I played games before then, I had gotten a hold of a NES during the early 2000s and played it a lot more than I thought. There were obvious games like Duck Hunt but then there were some frickin' weird games I had like Yo! Noid.

14. Allecto

Right now I'm really into old computer games, especially DOS and Mac. I use the ChubbyBunny and Boxer emulators.