1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any vegetarian/vegans here?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by adsterrr, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Acm

Acm Guest

I'm vegetarian. I hate vegetables though, I barely ever eat them.

2. adsterrr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That must be fairly difficult for you, I love vegetables!
    What do you eat?

3. Acm

Acm Guest

Just stuff without meat or vegetables. I like fruit a lot though. I have a pretty limited diet though, I eat a lot of the same food.

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The stereotype of veggie/vegan lesbian is somewhat true...
    there are even vegan barbecue events and get togerhers for lesbians.
    And there are quite often vegetarian caterers at activism events.
    I read an article saying womans rights and animals rights go together very well.

Well if people stop associating food with meat things get much easier...
    it kind of clicked for me that eating vegetarian is simply different.
    So many different textures, kinds of veggies and dishes... no meat replacement needed.
    Pasta, salads, soups, whatever...

I once read an analysis that people probably ate predominantly vegetarian until an ice age where plants became more rare.
    Well the stone age times are over... its a multitude of plants available.

hugs

#24 jay777, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  5. Nord

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Vegetarian almost (~99%) vegan here..been going for 1 and half years strong and feeling great! Actually healthier than I was when I ate meat, for I feel much more light and bound with energy which allows me to do more fun and active things such as hiking, kayaking, weights , yoga, etc. The true reasons that got my to switch originally however was the environmental impact that meat has as well as the cruelty of the factory farm industry. There definitely needs to be a social justice movement for animals in my opinion--its total bullshit that we think of them as objects and not as animals (just like us) who have feelings, emotions, intelligence, etc. More and more research is coming out demonstrating animals aren't as dumb as modern "civilized" societies portrays them as (hell some are even smarter..). Its time to get back in tune with the Earth as we used to be, and for starters animal slavery and speciesism should stop.

Of course there are so many things people can do to help animals outside of going vegetarian/vegan. Every effort counts! Just I personally feel the need to go the full way.

#25 Nord, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  6. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been one my whole life. My mom became one when she was in highscool and she raised me that way. At first I just did it because it was what my parents did, but as I got older I became more aware of the world around me and it became a matter of ethics. I would never willingly harm any creature without provocation, and I find it particularly barbarous that our society has developed the notion that they cannot survive without murdering innocent creatures for their flesh. It is truly disgusting to me.

I have tried to be a vegan, but it never lasted long. It's hard enough finding things to eat at friend's houses being a vegetarian, but when I was a vegan I had to carry a huge bag of pretzels around with me to anyone's house so I had food. I plan on becoming one when I'm an adult and I'm more independent. I think that the practices we use to make animal products are still Inhumane. I need to work on developing good healthy eating habits before then. My diet is almost completely sugar, fruit and cabohydrates. I also need to eat more in terms of volume. I'm far too skinny. It's no fault of my parents that I eat so unhealthily, they love making crazy healthy foods like tofu and stirfry and stuff like that. I just developed to be a very particular eater.

---------- Post added 4th Feb 2015 at 03:02 AM ----------

This is me lol. Bread is life.

#26 EpicConfusion, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  7. kem

kem

On my own I'm a vegan. I try to minimise my ecological impact and cruelty to animals.

I'm living with my parents though so while I mostly follow a vegan diet, I binge on milk chocolate and cookies and all the shit. And then I feel bad about it and eat some more. Still don't buy (new) leather or wool.

I'm hesitant to call myself a vegan because I would buy roadkill leather or fur, and I'd totally eat eggs and dairy if I knew (like really knew, as in if they were mine or a friends') the animals were doing fine. Also I'm willing to be somewhat flexible when travelling if it means I don't have to eat fucking salad or use all my money on food.

#27 kem, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  8. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I eat mostly vegetarian. If I were entirely in charge, I would be 100% vegetarian (or possibly vegan). As I still live at home though, I sometimes eat chicken and fish. But it's getting more and more rare. I don't meat at all during the weeks I live alone, which is every other week.
    I don't even like meat, so it's really not something I've had to "give up".

[​IMG]

9. gogreen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't even say how pleased I am to see others opposed to our inhumane treatment of animals. When I try to talk about this with friends and family, they either look at me like I'm an alien, or tell me to shut up because they don't want to have to think about it.

10. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

I'm a ovo-lacto vegetarian :slight_smile:

11. adsterrr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's so great to see all these responses from other vegetarians and vegans :slight_smile: I was starting to think it was a completely alien thing in the LGBT community, I'm so glad I was wrong!

12. hjs1978

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been vegetarian for 7 years now and eat raw as much as ppossible. I can't imagine going back! When I travel and can access more options, I go vegan. I would do it full time but that would mean never eating in restaurants where I currently live.

13. SomeLeviathan

I'm a vegetarian, not for any moral reason, I just don't like meat.

14. adsterrr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's awesome, I try and incorporate as much raw food as I can, sugar snap peas are an ultimate favourite :slight_smile:

15. badluckfairy

I have been a vegan since June 2014, but I was vegetarian prior to that since November 2006.

The transition from Vegetarian to Vegan has definitely been harder than the Meat to Vegetarian transition.

16. adsterrr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's amazing, massive congratulations to you!
    It is hard, but it's definitely worth it :slight_smile:

17. badluckfairy

Thank you. :slight_smile:

It is worth it.

The reason for going vegetarian was purely ethical reasons.

My reasons were going vegan were mainly medical. I became lactose intolerant over time to the point where it got severe, plus eggs upset me too. But even if those issues were no longer a problem, I wouldn't go back to vegetarian, as it has since become as much ethical as medical.

How long have you been vegan?

And do you get this annoying question all the time?...... "Do you eat fish?". Hate it when people say that.

18. adsterrr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been vegan for about a year and a half now and never looked back :slight_smile:

I must admit, I have slipped up on cheese a few times when I'm drunk and then instantly regret it in the morning, I haven't done that for about 5 months now so hopefully it will never happen again!

OH MY GOD THAT IS THE MOST IRRITATING QUESTION!
    'No I don't eat fish, it's still a living, breathing animal'
    The stupidest reply I ever got back to that was when a guy said 'yeah but it's only a small animal so it doesn't count'........*facepalm*

19. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    My friend is like that and everyone always assumes it's for moral reasons. I don't like a lot of meat, but there are too many things with meat in them (where it's not the main part) that I like, so I don't think I could give it up. [​IMG]

20. badluckfairy

Wow congrats :grin:

It is the most annoying question, and have been in several big arguements over it with people... I don't understand why so many people don't count a fish as a living breathing animal as though it is a vegetable of the sea. It is such a hard concept for people to understand.