1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has your LGBT issues directly lead to you contemplating suicide?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SonicBoom, Jan 31, 2015.

?

Have you ever contemplated suicide? Please read all options carefully

1. YES and LGBT issues contributed 100% to my contemplating.

7 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. YES and LGBT issues contributed 75 % to my contemplating.

12 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Yes and LGBT issues contributed 50% to my contemplating

14 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. Yes and LGBT issues contributed 25% to my contemplating.

14 vote(s)
    17.9%
  5. Yes and LGBT issues contribute zero% to my contemplating

12 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. NO, I HAVE NEVER CONTEMPLATED SUICIDE FOR ANY REASON

19 vote(s)
    24.4%
  1. Randomcloud

I had severe depression and anxiety for about 3 years and was often planning my suicide/attempted. I didn't consider my repressed sexuality being a contribution to my depression but once I came out (it wasn't really planned) my depression did actually improve shortly after and I felt more comfortable in my own skin (of course, it could have just been the medication but I suspect not...the thought of coming out and the potential extra hardship it would add to my life did make me anxious)

2. Burnedcloset

It has at one time. Im not at that mindset anymore though. Probably 80% was because of it. It is what caused me most of the problems I'm facing. I think it makes me special now though. I really do.

3. SkyDiver

100%, one way or another.

I feel like I'll never stop being just a little bit suicidal. Obviously I have no intention of ever doing it, but the thought jumps into my head very frequently.

4. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
  5. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've never seriously contemplated commiting suicide, although I have experienced suicidal thoughts and have hurt myself a little in the past (I mean seriously a little, I think I cut myself like 10 times and one time I swallowed a bunch of aspirin). This is actually the first time I'm telling anyone this by the way.

I don't think my lgbt issues had much to do with it. I think it was a culmination of a lot of things, so maybe my gender issues were in there somewhere. Pretty much all those things though, some of them aren't issues anymore, some got better, and the rest, is stuff I can live with and even see positivity in.

It does get better. "You can't have a rainbow without some rain."

6. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Nope...I always accepted being Gay, and I never contemplated suicide...

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, you bet I have. The day after I came out to my dad in July, I seriously thought about jumping off the 696 overpass in one area where there is no guardrail. I also thought back in the early fall about taking too many bp pills. I could never do it though because my brother would be devastated so would my cousin and aunt. I couldn't put them through that pain. With my parents, well, maybe they would start to understand how toxic their attitude is to LGBT people.

8. ChameleonSoul

I tried to commit suicide when I was 16, right before I joined EC. I never told anyone about my suicide attempt because it mainly had to do with me being trapped in an environment where I couldn't be out for my own safety. Even though being gay doesnt make up all of my suicidal thoughts, they definitely make up most of them.

9. SonicBoom

It's sad to realize that for many of us the struggle with our sexuality was at one time or another a life and death struggle.

10. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I'm not suicidal from LGBT issues but it's not like they make things any easier at the same time. I went with 25%

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

No. My sexuality has never been a trigger for suicidal thoughts or attempts. I find it fascinating and beautiful to, potentially, be able to fall for anybody. It's frustrating, at best, due to society, but it isn't something I harshly beat myself up over.

My gender, which is more of a struggle, has made me feel down, but never beyond entertaining myself with the thoughts of self-murder. The few times I've been really down, the thought has come and gone, but it doesn't linger for long. I don't see any productivity in taking my life here, because then I'd be remembered and buried -- as a male. In a bizarre sort of way, that helps keep such possibilities at bay.

I think this is one area where, having such an ego as I do, is a positive thing. I could never willingly kill myself, because I think too highly of myself. About the only time I'd off myself is, if I were about to be executed, because it'd be to deny another that glory. I will not die without power over my fate, if it can be helped.

Now, I'll admit. In my more morbid moments, I have thought about ways to commit suicide. Not because I am actually considering them, but because I'd want a grand way to go, if I had to. I'm also intrigued with the dark side of things. I could deal with a simplistic execution (pun intended), but if my life cannot be unforgettable -- I will make sure my death is.

12. The Janitor

Kansas City (such originality for a city name)
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Any suicidal tendencies I've had are due to depression unrelated to being pansexual. I've never felt any stress with my sexuality.

13. Quiet Raven

Yeah, I've been suicidal. It is hard to say just how much being trans affected it. I went with 50%. But it might be more, and it might be less.

14. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    On the rear occasion

15. timo

I've never contemplated suicide myself, but I'm sad to see so many have.

16. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    About 50%

17. SonicBoom

[​IMG]

How do you folks feel about these poll results?

Did you folks expect these results?

Sorry about the attention getting ploy but I just wanted to make sure my post was not missed.

Personally this thread makes me want to :tears:

To me , the results were totally and completely unexpected.

#37 SonicBoom, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  18. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LGBT issues has never been a factor. But bullying for other reasons and rejection has.

19. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would say 25%. I have body issues(namely me being so skinny and why I am) in addition to facing some discrimination. I've struggled with depression since 3rd grade. I think the only reason I haven't done it yet is because I don't want to put them through the trauma and funeral costs.

A week or two ago a wrote a suicide note detailing the reasons why I would have killed myself as a way to clear my head and organize my thoughts so I could distinctly recall the reasons why I wanted to die so badly. Since then, I've been a lot better. I think writing down my problems and letting them out helped. I don't think anybody knows about my depression, as I refuse to tell my family.

20. Gengars

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Eh... Yes, and also no. I mean, whenever I do have thoughts like that (don't worry i'm too much of a coward to go through with it) my sexual orientation accounts for at least 50%.

The other 50% is just life in general and the world around me. I mean, when your a very sensitive person who just so happen to have depression and generalized anxiety disorderliving in a hateful conservative community, you tend to delve into some dark places in your mind now and again. What else can I say? I see life as a scary evil hateful place and sometimes I just want out per-say, but there's really not much I can do about it other than put on a happy face and convince myself that i'm not constantly living in fear. lol, sorry about getting so dark. I'll be okay, I promise! :grin:

#40 Gengars, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015