Gym Motivation/Commitment

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by GreyArchery, Jan 27, 2015.

1. GreyArchery

Hey all,

I recently got a membership to a gym but I've been putting off going (procrastinator and I don't alter my routine easily).

This thread is mostly for myself, but others are welcome to join! I know a lot of us mention wanting to get in shape or lose weight, and I'm willing to bet some of you are like me and need a swift kick in the rear to get going. :icon_wink

So this thread is going to be my motivation-slash-commitment to actually go! You're all now my witnesses! :badgrin: MWUHAHAHAHA--- .... ahem... I mean, thanks! :grin: I'm going to be posting daily and at the end of each post I'm going to write a goal for myself for the next day.

The overall goal is to lose some weight and to go to the gym every day after work (5 times a week). Since I decided to start this mid-week (did I mention I was a procrastinator?), my goal will be 3 times this week, and potentially Saturday, going back to M-F next week.

So to get me started -
    GOAL: Tomorrow I will go to the gym after work and exercise for at least 30 minutes.

Thanks in advance for being the shove that I needed guys! (&&&)

2. gogreen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're on the hook now!

My gym commitment is already pretty good, so my goal is: no junk food all week!

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Go for it!!

And do some exercises for me while you are there !!!

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Excellent, there are exercises that don't require a huge time commitment, in fact some of these last only 15 minutes if done daily. It has been found better to do small amounts more frequently than big exercise sessions infrequently.

Search online for Cardio Strength Training, very effective!

5. gogreen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My gym has a class called tabata - highly effective cardio in 20-25 minutes. I've wanted to try it, but I have a social thing at that time that I hate to give up. Has anyone done tabata?

6. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been working out for over 2 years now and still enjoy it! Good luck! Not only does it help you physically, but also mentally. It gets your mind off of things. Just stay committed to working out, and the results will be great! :slight_smile:

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tabata is specifically mentioned as part of cardio-strength training, it seems to work and you don't have to spend an eternity at the gym. It is a tad gruelling, but after a few weeks, it gets easier to recover.

8. GreyArchery

GOAL COMPLETE!

I went to the gym and after a bit of wandering around to find the right places, found the cardio room. I hopped on one of the bikes and biked for 30 mins - I had a couple breaks in there (forgot my water bottle :eusa_doh:slight_smile:. I haven't biked in years, and it was interesting to get back into it - though they didn't have the kind of machine I like. All they had were the sit-down ones where your feet are in front of you when you pedal (like those sitting tri-wheel bikes). I much prefer the kind where it's basically a stationary bike - your feet pedal underneath your hips and you lean forward for the handle bars. Apparently they exist (according to the folks) so I guess I'll have to suck it up and ask for a tour tomorrow....

BUT! I biked nearly 10 miles today! That's enough of an accomplishment for me for my first day. :grin:

TOMORROW'S GOAL:
    Ask for a tour. Try out a new cardio machine for 30 minutes.

I think I'll try to sign up for some group exercise classes for next week as well.

9. longterm

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Awesome for you!!!!! My partner asked me this morning as I got dressed to go jog/walk if I liked working out and I told her NO. Yet because it has become a habit more often than not I will go even when I don't want to...... I.e. this morning. Repetition is the key.

It is so cool you put yourself out there to allow us all to read your goals!!!!!

I am cheering for you!!!!!

10. gogreen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Great job! I was just thinking its too late to work out tonight, I'm going to skip, but this is inspiring me to go get on my exercise bike!

11. GreyArchery

Yay! I help! :grin:

Things I learned today: If you live in a cold weather state (like Michigan) and your average temperature fluctuates between 10-40°F, don't leave the protein bar in the car if you plan on eating it on the way to the gym! Seriously, it was like trying to chew through a kind of sticky piece of wood. I managed, seeing as I was hungry, but I'm not doing that ever again.

Today I sucked it up and asked the front desk people for a tour. They were super helpful and friendly, asking what types of things I like to do and making sure they pointed those activities out as we walked. Also got a list of their free classes so I might try and join a few of those since I'm pretty much clueless on how to do the right types of exercises without potential injury.

I discovered where they keep the bikes that I like!!! :grin: Super excited about that. Was so tempted to use one of them today (technically, it would be new equipment), but someone else was using it when I got done with stretching.

So instead I tried out this Cybex thingy. It was kinda weird... It was kind of like power walking. Sort of. Either way, I was able to do 1.25 miles over 30 minutes. Maybe after a few times I'll figure out the trick to it and hit 1.5-2 miles in 30 minutes. I also learned that doing two days of leg-intensive stuff in a row is stupid...

Which leads me to...!

TOMORROW'S GOAL:
    Work out the upper body! Specifically 3 sets of 10 reps.

I think I spotted a rowing machine. If not, there's a couple other weight lifting machines that I can try out. Yay for instruction labels on everything non-cardio!

12. GreyArchery

WOOHOO! Three days of gym done!

And I beat my goal! I used a bunch of different Nautilus machines to work out my biceps, triceps, abdomen, obliques, and back. And I did 3 sets on each one! Definitely need to play around with the weights more. I think I found a good weight for the triceps, but everything else could probably be increased a bit. Next time for sure!

Since tomorrow is Saturday, I may or may not go to the gym. But I've another goal in mind.

WEEKEND GOAL:
    Yoga and Stretching! Sign up for at least one class at the gym!

I'm sure I'll be sore tomorrow. I think I'm going to do cardio 3 days a week (MWF), and either a class or weights on the off days.

Hopefully in a couple weeks I'll have a decent routine down and can switch to posting goals for the entire week and crossing them off as I accomplish them.

13. lilrocket

good job bleach! here's a site you might like: https://www.fitocracy.com/ , if you check that out it seems like something you'd be into!

14. raiden04

raiden04 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Awesome work! I only just joined a gym a couple days ago too, so far so bad good!

15. AAASAS

Hey

Just get yourself in there, even if for a little bit only, as long as you are dragging yourself there a couple times a week. You'll eventually get used to going as part of your schedule.

It's not that your lazy, it's just you really don't know how good working out feels, so there isn't much motivation, but after you've forced yourself to do it a couple times, you literally won't dread it, and it will be something you look forward to.

Best of luck on everything.

16. gogreen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Two hours of exercise class this morning! Now I can have those wings while watching the Super Bowl tomorrow and not feel guilty!

17. GreyArchery

YAY! Go you! Enjoy the game and those wings :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link! They've got a lot of cool exercises on here that I can even do at home :slight_smile:

18. GreyArchery

I tried one of my mum's yoga dvds over the weekend. They're.... not for me. I took a semester of yoga in college and enjoyed it, but this one was kind of annoying and just not for me. But I did stretch for about an hour yesterday and today. And apparently class sign-ups are during the week, not the weekend. But I've found a couple classes that I'd like to do and I'll sign-up for them tomorrow.

Tomorrow's Goal:
    Cardio for at least 30 mins! Sign-up for classes!

I'm really hoping I can snag the spin cycle bike tomorrow. I'm really interested to see if the change of equipment will alter anything. If I can snag the bike, I'm hoping to do another 10 miles, possibly more :slight_smile:

19. GreyArchery

Success! I tried using the spin cycle bike but something must've been wonky with it seeing as it wasn't recording my cadence or distance at all. So I switched to one of the other regular bikes (not the forward pedal ones). I was able to do 10 miles in 31 mins. I did have to bump the resistance up from 8/20 to 13/20.

I also signed up for a class that starts at the end of the month. And another to try out tomorrow. If I like it, I'll add it to my regular schedule.

Tomorrow's Goal:
    Try out the strength and conditioning class!

20. gogreen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Keep it up! You're doing awesome!

I went to the grocery store after Zumba class and despite being tempted by the pastries, I bought only healthy stuff and ate a banana. Small victories!